Poll Time! Best Walt Disney Animation Film

All right, @JJT and @heathernoel, I’m going to give you a chance to break down your vote for Poll 2:

Poll 2A: The Dark Ages

• The Aristocats (1970)
  • Robin Hood (1973)
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
  • The Rescuers (1977)
  • The Fox and the Hound (1981)
  • The Black Cauldron (1985)
  • The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
  • Oliver & Company (1988)

0 voters

Poll 2B: The Renaissance

• The Little Mermaid (1989)
  • The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
  • Beauty and the Beast (1991)
  • Aladdin (1992)
  • The Lion King (1994)
  • Pocahontas (1995)
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
  • Hercules (1997)
  • Mulan (1998)
  • Tarzan (1999)
  • Fantasia 2000 (1999)

0 voters

Personally I don’t think this is any easier, because Poll 2B is still a Beast (literally :joy:), but for those who grew up in the 70s and 80s this should help alleviate some of the pressure. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

That made it slightly easier.

2 Likes

Due to the latest split, I will make a case for Fox & the Hound.

An early childhood favorite, and came out the year I was born, the central message speaks to me today more loudly than ever. Befriend someone that doesn’t think, look, or act just like you. Break through stereotypes and what’s “safe” or “expected.” Try to understand and respect differences and embrace them along with what we all have in common. The unlikely friendship mirrored from the animals to their owners is beautiful. The gamut of emotion from joyful companionship to complete sorrow and despair is a rollercoaster.

10 Likes

I agree. Little Mermaid is a terrible movie.

2 Likes

I made the mistake of not watching Emperor’s New Groove for too many years.
The lost years.
I’ll never get them back.

I keep this in my phone.
I’ve deleted photos of children and vacations.
But not Kronk.

17 Likes

Moana is barely meh to me.
But same with Aladdin.
And Little Mermaid.

The ones I love I love.
The ones that I don’t love are all lumped in meh.

1 Like

This poll was so much fun. A lot of hard picks, had to choose my gut reaction on many.

Was shocked to see @QwertySC choose the emperor’s new groove over Bolt- learn something new every day :wink: I was looking for hers to be the solo vote there.

The dark ages/renaissance was SO hard. I wish that could’ve been divided into two categories, but rules are rules. Ultimately I had to go with Mulan because it’s the only Disney movie I ever memorized in its entirety.

Also the most recent category was difficult. Moana or Encanto? @LTinNC82 ’s comment about Moana w/o LMM’s music shook me for a sec, but I got over it once I realized there’s no need to separate the two since they are irrevocably linked. And thus I choose Moana. But I agree with @QwertySC that it’s also too soon to tell about Encanto. Will it stand the test of time in my heart?

Honorable mentions to the rescuers and the rescuers down under. I still love those movies so much to this day. They aren’t as iconic, but they will always be epic to me.

ETA: also love for Robin Hood! I hated having to choose between it and The Rescuers, but also thank you @Jeff_AZ for splitting up that doozy of a category

4 Likes

I think you just like them all…

Treasure Planet and Ralph are so different.

The first one botched up classic literature and the second makes me laugh out loud!

2 Likes

The thing about Winnie the Pooh, is that there were the three short episodes that came out before they were packaged together in the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. The two early ones in the 60’s and then one in the 70’s, I think. To me, these really belong in the previous category (1), but they weren’t films. Hands down, Winnie the Pooh is my favorite of all time, but the movie doesn’t fit any of the categories so no vote. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Glad she solved the mystery. Strike my earlier comment.

I’m so confused.

2 Likes

Wow.

There is exactly one movie here I can tolerate.

But I will sing my heart out to the music!!!

5 Likes

It was SO CLOSE

I keep this too.

12 Likes

Look at you so darn cute!!!

6 Likes

On that list? Are you feeling alright? :joy:

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::joy:
First off - I am older than most of you. I was in college or married when most came out.
Second - most make my history-loving self cringe.
But the music is Disney-park feel :100:

3 Likes

The cute one is my sister. I’m the one who needed help getting up afterward Miss1988

(I’ve been awake since 3:30am and now I’m sitting a few miles from you waiting for DD16 to take Accuplacer at GTC.)

3 Likes

I Know which one you are!!! :joy: c’mon. Just because I’m terrible at names doesn’t mean I can’t do faces!

Yikes. Long day. Waves to you! If you go outside, you might be able to feel the breeze from my wave, you’re that close.

4 Likes

I’m glad you brought this up because I was going to mention it. Winnie the Pooh is actually the last Disney film Walt had direct involvement in, because he produced “the Honey Tree” and worked on “Blustery Day.” “and Tigger Too” came out in 1974, and then the combined package was released in 1977 with the addition of the previously unreleased “farewell” scene at the end. Apparently Walt helped produce that scene, too, because it had the actor who played Christopher Robin in the earlier installments.

Please vote for Winnie the Pooh! I don’t get why you didn’t. I only have so many votes so please use yours accordingly. :joy:

4 Likes

Because it belongs in section 1! :joy: It is NOT a 1977 film in my mind … I was 11 or 12 by that time (yes, I’m old) and Winnie the Pooh was the theme of my preschool years. Best birthday gift of my life was the hand-made Winnie the Pooh my mom got me for my 5th birthday … in 1970.

5 Likes

This was actually a movie my kids and I watched over and over. I didn’t realize it wasn’t a Disney Blockbuster until I started talking Disney movies with friends and several hadn’t. even. seen. it. I was beside myself :hear_no_evil:

8 Likes