Poll Time! Best Walt Disney Animation Film Part 2

What makes this poll stink for me is I don’t really thing ENG is the best Disney movie of all time - but it’s the only one on the list I might stop what I was doing today and watch for a while.
WTP and Cinderella would be second and third. Which is why we should vote for three and see where things go.

4 Likes

So in the last poll I voted for Robin Hood in its bracket because it really is my favorite, but this time I picked Lion King for overall (and I’m not sure I even voted for that one at all last time). Maybe changing the definitions myself of whether this should reflect personal fave or best (which is 2 different things IMO… I mean I was the only one who voted for Treasure Planet last poll too based on personal favorite). But I think as far as “best”… musical score, plot, quality of animation, cultural impact, marketability etc. Lion King is pretty much it.

3 Likes

Interesting tidbit: there are two movies tied for highest average of critic score and audience score of all Disney animated films on ‘Rotten Tomatoes’. Neither advanced to this round.

Zootopia and Raya and the Last Dragon.

Would have never guessed those two with all the greats still in our poll. I like them both, but come on.

4 Likes

Maybe is shows that overall, critics are more receptive in recent years that animated films are worthy of critical acclaim. I remember it being pretty groundbreaking when BatB songs got play on pop radio stations, and that it was discussed along with “regular” movies for awards. CGI definitely blurs the line between live action and animated nowadays, so maybe all movies can now be judges as movies even if animated.

5 Likes

Great points. Actually, quite a few have critic scores in the 90s, including old classics like Snow White, Cinderella, Pinocchio, but it’s the audience scores that seem to have more recency bias. Using just critic scores, Pinocchio and Winnie the Pooh are tied at 100% with most remaining on our list not too far behind.

2 Likes

Robin Hood is probably my favorite, but Tangled is the one I’m most likely to watch with my family. It is a favorite in this household. My tops (in no order) would be Robin Hood, Tangled, Moana, and Emporer’s New Groove. Some of the others may be technically better, but these are the ones we always go back to.

7 Likes

For polls like this where there are a lot of choices would it be possible for us to choose three so that we can start whittling the list down? Eventually we’d get to a point of just choosing one option, but maybe for the prelim rounds?

4 Likes

I’m just sad Sleeping Beauty didn’t make it. Nothing else compares for me.

3 Likes

Severely underrated movie. LOVE it!

5 Likes

About what isn’t there - all my favourites! How is it possible that not enough people love Sleeping Beauty to push it through? And Big Hero Six!

It’s possible I’m taking this too personally.

6 Likes

RIGHT?!?! :raised_hands:

I wanted to leave it at that but the forum insists that it isn’t a complete sentence.

1 Like

Without ranked choice voting, it is hard to determine. It COULD be (in theory) that EVERYONE felt Sleeping Beauty was SECOND best. But everyone’s first choice was NOT Sleeping Beauty, so Sleeping Beauty didn’t make it to the next round.

Ranked Choice voting offers significant advantages in determining most favored outcome…but it is also more difficult to actually do without a lot of manual involvement (or creating a custom spreadsheet to calculate it, etc).

2 Likes

I lived in Hawaii a long time ago. I was that Howlie who could speak fluent pigeon.

3 Likes

Forum doesn’t like all caps.

3 Likes

I was so torn between TLM and Lilo… so tough. Had to go with the one I watched on repeat as a child

1 Like

Agreed! This is top two for me, alongside BatB.

3 Likes

I’ve explained this in a previous poll, but my method is actually very similar to ranked choice, except that I eliminate anything under 15% instead of just the last place option. The other difference is that people don’t do their ranking all in the first round. The reasons for both of these differences is practicality. But ranked choice voting is not perfect either – it tends to give the result that people hate the least, not the result that the most people like.

I do like the idea of throwing in multiple choices, though. As others have mentioned, that could stabilize the results from each round and eliminate some volatility due to people having quirky tastes, like the one person who chose The Black Cauldron or whatever.

3 Likes

If only we had any local spreadsheet enthusiasts……

4 Likes

Compare to Olympic medals. Which country did better?

A. 3 golds, 1 silver, 1 bronze
B. 1 gold, 3 silvers, 2 bronze

Our poll calls A better, and I agree with that. B may have more total medals, but if the point is to find one winner rather than a correctly ranked list, we’re ok, and only gold matters.

And in many arguments of “best of all time” especially for athletes, a common test is how they fared vs the competition of their era, similar to our first round. It’s too bad all eras are not equal, but that’s the way it is.

4 Likes

There are circumstances where it doesn’t work. But your method works a decent amount of time.

But, for example, let’s say there are 10 choices. 40% pick movie A as their top choice, but all 40% would pick movie B as their second choice. Next, 10% pick Movie B as their top choice, but would pick Movie C as their second choice. Another 20% pick movie C, but pick movie B as their second choice. The remaining 20% are split between other choices, some of whom pick Movie B as their second choice.

During first round, Movie B is eliminated. Nevermind that 100% of people picked Movie B as their first or second choice!

Second round, A and C move ahead, etc. In the final outcome, either A or C would end up the final winner (assuming Movie A was not in the “top choices” other than for those who picked as their FIRST choice, choice C might take the overall win with 60% of the vote). Thing is, because B was eliminated in the first round, it doesn’t win, even though in ranked choice voting, it would have easily won.

1 Like