Poll Time! Best Show or Parade in WDW?

Viewing angle has nothing to do with it. It is the rude, pushy, overwhelming crowds.

It only bothers me if I let it. And in fairness there have been times when I have let it. Typically this is after a long day when I am exceptionally tired and low on patience. Mainly I set my expectations appropriately (low), and generally stand in my viewing spot until the crowd has dispersed. It makes it far more enjoyable that way. The thing that does irk me is someone putting a kid on their shoulders in front of me, but I am not shy about politely informing the offender that they are blocking everyone’s view. Most times I find that people didn’t even realize that in their excitement.

2 Likes

Dessert party! Then all those people are outside your spacious area. It’s the only way we watch fireworks at MK, and so worth it. There is enough food to call it dinner and a show. :smile:

1 Like

In October 2016, when crowds were supposedly lower, our experience was this:

1. We arrived at our decided upon viewing spot about an hour early. (In hindsight, it wasn’t the BEST spot, but it was fine enough.)
  2. Over the course of the next hour, people arrived and shoved my family BACK away from the front where they were standing until they were pressed against a fence.
  3. During this hour, I had gone to a shop in Main Street looking for a sweatshirt I had seen there earlier in the trip, but couldn’t find it. On my return back to where my family was waiting, I gave what I thought was plenty of time…but it took about 30 minutes for me to get through the darkness and through the people who kept stopping to watch the show.
  4. Halfway through the HEA performance, I finally made it to where my family…USED TO BE. But they weren’t there, but behind a large group of people. When I tried to get back to my family, the group of people LITERALLY formed a wall and prevented me from getting through, despite telling them that my family was RIGHT THERE.
  5. They left me no choice, and I had to physically PUSH them out of the way so that I could join my family against the fence and watch the rest of the show.

Now, we’ve since learned where there are better places to be from others. But we (my wife and I) were really hoping to avoid the crowds by doing the dessert party. Still, for our May trip (may it rest in peace), we had plans to try to fireworks again from a place where we couldn’t be shoved back from.

I do remember the good old days where watching the fireworks meant just being anywhere in the park. Or NOT in the park for that matter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow.

I’m glad that has never happened to me. That sounds terrible.

I am always obsessed with the thought that I may be blocking someone’s view to the point that I usually can’t enjoy shows myself. If my kid can’t see, I will usually hold them in my arms but position their head right against mine so we occupy the minimum possible space in people’s field of vision. I also often stoop down or lower my neck, and I usually step forward as much as possible to leave space behind me, maybe peeking between people’s shoulders in front of me. (And mind you, I’m pretty short.)

Sometimes I wish I was more selfish and could have the jujubees to plop my kid on my shoulders and hold an iPad Max out in each hand as I film the entire show, like some people do.

3 Likes

Totally understand this. At 6’6", in these situations, I do try to stand differently to make myself shorter or find spots where there won’t be anyone right behind me. In movie theaters (what are those?) with traditional non-reclining seats, it’s always a battle between how high my head is, possibly blocking someone behind me, and cramming my legs awkwardly into the seat in front of me. On the plus side, I can always personally get a pretty good view of events.

Unfortunately in situations like HEA, with how many people have to pack into that relatively small area, there will be some bad apples that ruin it for others, probably because they have a day’s worth of pent-up anger due to waiting too long in lines and missed things because they didn’t have a solid touring plan.

2 Likes

We’re only there for the fireworks - as opposed to story, emotions, music.

Poly beach - or even boat dock for the less sand-ish in our group - works wonderfully. Adult beverages available for an upcharge.

Do the fireworks look puny from that far away?

Certainly not as impressive as up closer but a nice show just the same if you don’t mind not seeing projections. They pipe in the music so you hear that too.

Just in front of the bungalows is a small raised “grassy knoll” that is usually uncrowded and offers a great view over the roofs of the bungalows. There are a couple of benches up there and a decent amount of grassy area to spread out on. We have watched from there a couple of times. It’s nice to be removed from the crowd.

Shhh… this is like my secret place at AK. Don’t tell the others.

2 Likes

It’s definitely not the same as being near Mickey’s Philharmagic when the fireworks are going.

I like the view from the dock, sitting comfortably on a bench, with reflections in the windows of the Contemporary.

1 Like

Oh, by the way! Happily Ever After won with 55% of the vote. Hooray!

I will start a new poll this week.

4 Likes

If you vote last before closing the poll you will get it right. Good luck!

1 Like