Poll: How many WS countries have you been to?

US, Canada, Germany and France. Been over 20 years since i’ve been to WS when I was a kid and now taking my kids there.

Do they still have native speakers of the language for each country? That was one of my favorite parts!

1 Like

Well they have never spoken Cornish,
Irish, Ulster Scots, Scots, Scottish Gaelic
or Welsh in ‘WS UK’. They manage English😉.

1 Like

I have been to the US, Canada, UK, Italy, and France. Took a train through-and changed trains in Germany, so I will count it. Have also been to Taiwan. Only the government of China considers that to be part of China, so I will take half a point.

2 Likes

We’ve had Welsh CMs write in Welsh in the passports. I admit the Scottish one wrote in English. She drew a picture of Nessie though.

3 Likes

What would a main Mexican be amiga? You referring to me?

5 Likes

I met a girl from the west coast of Scotland who spoke Gaelic. Served me in the Rose and Crown in 2016.

2 Likes

Well well. I stand corrected. Was she responding to something that you said in Gaelic?

Now if you were Ed Sheeran, this could be the opening lines of a song😉.

3 Likes

No. I just started chatting to her. We were having lunch at the end of the WS tour, and of course I recognised the accent. Found out where she was from and just got chatting. She’d gone to a Gaelic speaking primary school (which are totally immersive).

I can understand true Scots to some extent. And the Aberdonian which is so far removed from English that it might as well be a separate language.

2 Likes

good question! I have not been to: Norway, China, Italy, Morocco.
Norway is at the top of my list to visit.

Great question! Been to Italy, France, Japan, USA and China (if you count Hong Kong) and of course U.K. Definately want to do Canada! Oh and Mexico…only if you are my guide @quicha! :wink:
DH has been to all…

1 Like

Booking you and @MouseGirl42

3 Likes

…but was it China when you lived there?

1 Like

Yes, it was handed back in 97, and we moved there in 99. It’s technically called SAR of China (Special Administrative Region)…though it’s very Western…

2 Likes

Yay! :grinning:

2 Likes

Oh, I have been to Hong Kong. Didn’t think about that. It was back in 1990 though, so maybe it doesn’t really count.

1 Like

I miss the Wonders of Life Pavilion! My kids LOVED that place.

1 Like

Fun thread. If you count a 6 hour lay over in Hong Kong (in 1996 though) I’ve been to them all but Norway. I live in the US but i travelled a lot in my 20’s including living abroad and for my job. Would love to get to Norway!! And agree, Morocco was awesome!

1 Like

Wonders of Life was a fantastic pavilion. There’s so much that the old future world had that “modern” future world is lacking.

1 Like