Planning used to be a great diversion!

We have a trip booked for next November. We booked months ago, and I was starting to put plans together before all of the COVID-19 madness. I am about 30 days out from my ADR date so no pressure yet, but I should probably start putting a plan together at least for where we might want ADRs. But with everything happening and so much uncertainty, planning is just not enjoyable and it’s usually one of my favorite parts of the whole vacation.

I have identified back-up dates in February and May 2021 if our trip gets canceled because of COVID or repercussions of such. But maybe it’s my Eeyore spirit, but I just keep thinking that if I plan, I will be so much more disappointed if the trip gets canceled so why bother. Our spring break and late May trips (neither were Disney) have already been canceled. I also have little hope for our July beach vacation.

Are those of you with August or later trips planning with the usual vigor and excitement? Or are others in my boat?

6 Likes

I can relate. I have canceled two Disney trips already (March and April) and will likely have to cancel June. The thought of planning is just too depressing right now so I haven’t even rescheduled any of our trips. I usually love to plan.

3 Likes

I had April and dropped for June and dropped for later in June and booked a November.

All are canceled and I have nothing on my Touring Plans dashboard for the first time in over 3 years.

I’m waiting until I get a definitive opening date and specific information about any operational changes before I commit again.

I’m still saving up, though!

4 Likes

I’m booked for november, and still hoping we can go. The thought of the flight is making me more nervous than DIsney for some reason. No way to tell what life will be like, but hoping by the time ADR opens up in May it will be more clear.

2 Likes

We have a trip August 29th that I have been planning since last year. I usually love planning and watching YouTube videos and stuff, but I just can’t get into it right now.

3 Likes

This is my challenge for sure. I had a perfect DLR trip for June that I have been looking forward to for so long. My DD and I had all kinds of “extras” in the works: pin trading, buying limited edition pins for pin trading, we knew where the cats like to hang out, had an Angels game for my husband.

I don"t know when we can get back to the west coast. I think spring break of next year, and I hope Disney will extend our tickets through 2021. But my brain does not want to reser the countdown 365 days.

Note: I am 100% aware that these are not actual problems in today’s circumstances. This time has made me more grateful for the things I have, than I have ever been. But planning and the anticipation of a trip are a way to escape the day to day. It is rough when that is gone. It feels worse than any re-entry blues I have had!

11 Likes

You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I was thinking. I think I could get over canceled trips but the uncertainty of the future is just unsettling. And just when I need the escape of planning most of all, it is just not enjoyable.

4 Likes

We have had a December trip planned since early November 2019. I had been starting to fiddle with touring plans, have my lists of where to dine, and I basically have not touched it since February. I have been following the stay at home order since before it was announced, 34 days today. I am afraid to leave the house except for walks. No idea when Disney will reopen and what it will be like when it does. Planning brings me no joy right now.

2 Likes

I have a September trip. I started planning a back-up December trip, but the CLs are about the same so my plans transferred easily. Now, not much to do. I’m just waiting until June to decide.

2 Likes

We had been planning a road trip from Texas to Colorado for July just to do some hiking, which may very well still be doable, but I can’t even get enthused enough to plan that!

3 Likes

Totally in the same boat over here! My husband and I have a trip planned for just the two of us to go Oct 13-18th this year and would normally be in happy planning mode now. Our ADR reservation day is just 5 days away but I just can’t get myself to put a plan together or be too excited about it. I’ll still make some ADR’s but there’s just so much uncertainty right now.

2 Likes

My ADR day came last week. It was odd making plans knowing that I may have to do it all over again if I reschedule.

1 Like

I feel ya, I had what I thought was a perfect trip planned, all decked out with extras for my dw’s 40th…FPP’s were very good, ADR’s where and when we wanted… and now need to do it all over for July…and realize that that could likely not happen too.

ADR’s not as good, resort not as good, guess we will see about the FPP…

On the bright side, planning still gives me a break from reality… Kinda like sticking my head in the sand. Fot that… I am glad I am able to remain a little optimistic and just see what happens. I looked at the last FPP run as a practice I usually don’t get and will be trying to best it next month.

2 Likes

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I’m in the same boat - trip planned for November, ADR date is coming up, and it’s hard to get excited about it. I can tell my 11 year old feels the same way. She and I talked about working on our ADR’s this afternoon, and neither of us got around to it. She told me she really hopes we get to go on this trip. But I know she understands it might not happen, just like she might not go back to school. Her brother is happy enough at home; she’s a social butterfly.

I know we need a plan in place, just in case, but I hate to do all the work and planning that usually gets me so excited just to have to cancel them all. And if we do cancel, we likely wouldn’t be able to return until August 2021. We usually go in August, and this was our first chance to see Halloween and Christmas decorations in the same trip…and avoid those fun August temps. To add salt in the wound, several families we knew had either started making plans or were talking about being there at the same time as us. This has never happened for us before and we were all excited about it.

My husband walked past as my daughter and I were watching Fairytale Weddings on Disney+ and said it made him sad to see pictures of the park right now. He is not a very emotional person, so that hit me.

4 Likes

Historically I’ve planned WDW trips - using the planning as an escape or a cheering up.

Even tho I expected our late June trip (for a martial arts tournament) to be changed, planning an alternate date just couldn’t happen. Couldn’t get interested. Neither was I going to cancel or reschedule the trip until prompted by Disney.

However, when the event promoters and Disney moved the tournament to December, I could begin planning again.

I realize that trip has its covid uncertainty. It’s still fun to plan again.

1 Like

Sounds like we all feel the same! Rebooked for October, was supposed to be there next week. The chances of that trip happening feel pretty slim right now, so hard to get excited. Maybe once things get better will be able to see a possibility. I’ll book ADRs soon but yea hard to plan.

1 Like

Re: your topic title, yes, planning was my greatest diversion. I miss it badly. Before things became so bad here, when I thought that coronavirus was going to only cancel my cruise, I started to have like a withdrawal from my planning b/c suddenly I couldn’t do it. I started to switch gears and plan only things we could drive to but then suddenly that ground to a halt too. I miss planning trips for far into the future and look forward to when I can do it again. I’ve tried to start thinking about things but I’m too much of a realist and I know that I can’t actually plan anything yet.

3 Likes

Count me in the same boat too! We were supposed to go April 22 but have now rebooked to Sept 27. I’m still tying to be optimistic (cautiously), but it’s hard to be excited and stay positive with all the doom and gloom in the media. Double whammy that we’re in Canada so we have to wait for the parks and border to be open.

4 Likes

When in December is your tournament?

We moved our Spring Break trip to October and then booked a short June trip to take advantage of the free dining offer (knowing it was unlikely to happen).

Planning is definitely not the joy it was, for either trip. Although mid-June seems very unlikely, it also seems like we won’t actually know until mid/late-May. So I’m going through the motions, but it’s more of a chore than a fun distraction.

Even October feels sketchy. I do think the parks will be open, but will they be operating fully/normally? No idea.

2 Likes