Picky Eaters

Taking our DGS5 and DGS7 to DW. Both are picky eaters but the 5yo is over the top picky. We have DDP and I think I have figured out where they will eat everywhere except EP. I am most concerned about our TS options. When I asked my DDIL if DGS5 would eat at Garden Grill with Chip and Dale she answered that he would eat the dinner rolls. I don’t want to use a $30 Value TS and find he only eats the dinner roll!! I am considering the breakfast buffet at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall because the picky eater will eat a variety of breakfast foods. Considering this is a Princess CB, I’m worried the young boys will not be overly impressed and/or disappointed. Has anyone else out there taken their boys to this CB? If so, would you do it again? If not, are there any other EP recommendations for TS and little boys? We are going on a EMH day and I don’t really want to do a CB at a resort on the way and lose precious time since we only have 1 day at EP.

Are you only considering GG for dinner? I have 3 boys and they enjoy the breakfast there. My pickiest eater ate the cinnamon roll, sausage and fruit. They also have Mickey waffles, eggs, and bacon. You can get PPO for this breakfast as well and if you get down to Soarin by about 8:45/8:50, you should be able to get on before rope drop.

1 Like

Agree best meals for picky eaters is breakfast.

3 Likes

The spectrum of “picky” is wide. Will they only eat certain things? Or is it more that they won’t eat most things?

There is a feature on the lines app where you can search for particular food items. That may be helpful to you. For instance, if they only want french fries, you can search for that.

2 Likes

How did I miss the fact that GG had CB!?! Thanks for the heads up! I think they’ll enjoy Chip and Dale over the Princesses. (Even though the Princesses are awesome, IMO!) :wink:

2 Likes

He eats bread, apples, peanut butter and cheese. Mealtime is a challenge, for sure! :slight_smile:

That’s a challenge, for sure.

I would go about this one of two ways. First, I might just ask that you not be charged for him as he won’t likely eat anything. If this was a consideration, I’d just speak with the host/server and explain the situation. Disney is pretty great about these things.

Or, if it’s “free” dining, and you need to use up the credit anyway, look at it as an opportunity for him to try things if he’s willing to. GG has fresh fruit, Mickey waffles, tater tots. Those are all kid-friendly. Maybe he’ll feel a little adventurous on this trip and give some new things a try.

1 Like

I didn’t think they would even consider this option at a buffet, but it’s worth a try. And you’re right, Disney is more accommodating than most. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Will he eat Mac and cheese? The Mac and cheese at GG is delicious!

There is 0% chance you would not be charged. Seriously they charge people on feeding tubes. They are not going to make an exception for a picky eater which is seriously like 50% of young kids. I honestly say, although it’s hard, eat where you want and don’t sweat it. He can always have a snack later since you’re on the dining plan.

2 Likes

We did the GG breakfast last time and my very picky eater said that the “eggs were so good they should be illegal”. They seemed pretty standard to me, but it was a good breakfast experience. My son does this thing where he eats something a lot and then never wants it again…like mac-n-cheese. Apparently he has a lifetime quota for foods and he’s already hit that point for a few typical “kid” foods. There was something he was willing to eat at each place though so I think you should be okay overall!

4 Likes

You definitely don’t want mealtime to be a hassle on vacation. I would agree that someplace with a lot of variety, ideally a buffet would be great. He can look at the food and smell it and decide for himself. Sometimes just being told you can try something and if you don’t like it you don’t have to eat it gives kids permission to be adventurous.

That said, I had (still have) a picky eater. When he was 5, it was only baloney sandwiches. Nothing else. We were at grandma’s one time and she had bought ham, thinking it was the better meat. We had to convince him that it was actually a special type of baloney. He ate it, at least.

While you have the dining plan, can you just pay for a few buns, rather than using a credit for him, if he’s not going to eat anything?

3 Likes

I have a neighbor who is on a feeding tube and I can tell you that this is not true. It does require a conversation but they will give her a pass as she is not eating

I always say, better to ask. The worst they can say is no

5 Likes

I’m not sure what the menu page says for garden grill but they bring out a kids platter with mac and cheese and French fries and something else i think. If you have a kid that won’t eat those that is a serious level of picky.

I would plan meals where everyone else wants and pack pb&j or whatever the picky eater wants from the hotel. And just try to forget about the cost.

1 Like

Believe it or not…No. What kid doesn’t love mac & cheese? :wink:

1 Like

We plan on packing some “Jif to go” and hope for the best. I’m not worried about the QS meals. More concerned with the TS meals.

No to mac & cheese and french fries are hit and miss (depending on the day) :slight_smile: We are starting to realize that the TS meal cost for him will just have to be considered a convenience charge for having the DDP.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the input. I think I have decided to go to GG for the CB buffet. I think that’s our best option to have him eat something. Have a Disney day everyone!! :slight_smile: :heart:

3 Likes

My sister in-law always said “My kids won’t eat that”. Guess what my sister in-law must be a real bad cook not only did they eat everything I’ve ever cooked for them they usually ask for seconds.

3 Likes

@joefishing209 Similarly, when we’re out for meals with my SIL and her DS11 she keeps telling him “oh don’t order that, you won’t like it” until he’s basically left with a choice of burger or cheeseburger. She then complains that he’s a picky eater. :rofl:

4 Likes