Personal Realizations about WDW

I can still have an incredible time without going rope drop to park close every single day and wearing myself to total exhaustion (well, I’ve realized it…but I struggle to apply it).

14 Likes

I realized that Space Mountain may not actually be worth the needed post-ride chiropractor adjustments but that even the 30th ride on Haunted Mansion is great fun.

I have also realized that you don’t have to try to do it all. Prioritize old favorites and new experiences.

10 Likes

I always thought Space Mountain was the chiropractic adjustment. :rofl:

6 Likes

My love for Disney has very little to do with the rides these days. There is so much to see and do, rides become almost unnecessary. (Well, except for PM.)

And as much as I lament the changes and lost classics, I can’t help but look forward to each new experience.

7 Likes

I tweaked my back on SM in 2019, so it’s a no for me now. Going around a curve my bottom slid and caught my lower back off guard. That was a
“You’re Getting Old” wake up call. :joy:

2 Likes

One thing I’ve discovered is that although I have never loved the heat, as I get older I tolerate it less and less. We have a trip this year in October and honestly I think its the last non winter Disney trip I’m gonna do. Its going to be rough because DHs work schedule cycles around the Hasidic Jewish holiday calendar, and most of the holidays work is banned are spring and fall.
I need to look into these electrolyte powders. I have always had an extraordinarily low thirst drive, and my thyroid disease only makes it worse. On the average day my liquid intake is only a cup of coffee in the morning and a glass of iced tea at dinner. :exploding_head: My hubby calls me the OG Fremen lol. At Disney i do try to drink more, but I struggle. Electrolyte powders might help battle the inevitable monster headache that kicks in around day two.

7 Likes

I take Synthroid and have for . . . oh, gee, nearly 40 years. Definitely needed more fluids since - had also been a light fluid intake person. For most of those 40 years I tried to drink all day but have recently started a new thing: two bottles of water (I refill them) between supper and bed (and believe it or don’t I rarely need to get up at night :blush:) and one bottle of water as I begin my day.
During the day I drink if I’m thirsty or having a meal. I use the liquid electrolyte (a couple drops in a regular water bottle) if I’ve been sweating unusually. A cardiologist once told me plain water was enough but I don’t think he had a thyroid issue. :thinking: The Sport Beans - just like jelly beans but “smart” - help because I think there’s sometimes a sugar component as well. I’m very much a savory foods person unlike DH who never met a sweet he couldn’t eat. :grin:

1 Like

I think I have a problem where I drink too much water so I water down the electrolytes. That is good because I am on a potassium sparing diuretic which can cause potassium levels to be too high! On the other hand it can be bad for calcium, magnesium and sodium levels.

In your case, lack of drinking may be helping to keep this from happeing, bit eventually you are getting super dehydrated, thus the headaches.

Our bodies are such amazing, yet carefully balanced machines!

2 Likes

Yes! That balance!

It’s a lot like kids, just when you think you’ve got a handle on things we move to the next iteration.

Fairly sure drinking (sipping) all day was too much hydration. I’ve only been trying this current hydration scheme for a few months, maybe 3, but it feels more balanced. Be interesting to see how summer weather affects that.

1 Like

One concern of this is the development of kidney stones. Frequent or severe dehydration can lead to the formation of them pretty quickly.

2 Likes

DH learned this the hard way in residency. Not stopping to drink water or pee for 18 hours, 6 days a week, 2 years in a row, will do that to you.

2 Likes

I realized I need a break every day, preferably in the hotel room alone, but could be sitting in the shade alone. As an introvert, I need time away from people to recharge. Even though I know this about myself in regular life I only recently realized how much it applies at WDW. Which seems obvious now. I try to give the kids breaks from the parks too because just as they would never admit to being tired they would never ever admit to needing a break, but most days they do.

10 Likes

We’ve been very fortunate to take our trips over 10-14 days and have benefitted from spreading the park days out for this reason. Sooo much stimulation going on in the parks. They’ve never told me “my brain needs a little less today,” though they very much do.

3 Likes

Yup

And also as the Official Planner Of the Magic I need a minute to decompress, too.

17 Likes

So many great opportunities to work on my ‘It’s fine! I’m fun and flexible!’ face.

Like when everyone decides they just want room service instead of the restaurant that I stalked reservations for a month for. ‘That sounds great! Let’s just relax!’ (am I fooling anyone yet?)

9 Likes

So that’s what that pain in my back is! :bulb::bulb::bulb:

3 Likes

I realized that eating a lot of little snack plates at festivals is not a satisfying meal for me. Which is too bad, because a lot of the food looks yummy! But when you have to stand in so many different lines, there are only a few bites if you are sharing with family, and there is nowhere cool to sit it is hard. Plus we kept finding that the thing we wanted now was way on the other side of the park, while the thing we wanted later (like dessert) was right next to us. So I love the idea of eating around the world, but in practice give me a sit down meal in air conditioning and some time off my feet instead.

14 Likes

Something like this happened to me about . . . a few years ago. :thinking: Maybe 10?

Climbing the first hill. The jerk as we started up was not kind to my neck. Merely a twinge but got my attention enough to make me realize years were advancing.

1 Like