Park Touring and the Genie+ & ILL option

Right. And the updated G+ suggestions with predicted RT’s (after optimizing) are supposed to be fairly accurate. This is what we need reports on too.

2 Likes

In October 2021, Touring Plans did in-park testing and shared the results. One day they sent 2 people to HS.

Tester #1 just used a TP with Early Entry, no G+, and optimizing after each step.

Tester #2 bought G+, no EE, while grabbing LL’s by priority.

It was mainly to see if G+ was really worth it vs. a good old touring plan.

But now, they should be testing (and sharing the results) a pre-made optimized TP with G+.

3 Likes

I think I am confused. TP didn’t test it since genie+ without optimizing? Why would they now? Wouldn’t they test optimizing in park after adding LLs?

They couldn’t before because the software wasn’t capable on it’s own of building a day plan that pre-selected when and what LL to get. It had to be done manually using guesswork.

After 12+ months of working on the software to have the G+ recommendation capability, I would think Touring Plans would want to promote their new product with sharing positive testing results. :man_shrugging:

If there were no rides down, they really shouldn’t have to. Because you just stay with the original plan, which should be pretty accurate.

If there was an attraction down that was in the plan, and the plan needs re-optimized, the software should recommend what LL to get next based on the forecasted return time along with other factors in your touring plan.

2 Likes

So is this no longer true?

In short:
EVALUATE says “I know what I’m doing. Here’s the order in which I want to do everything. Do not re-arrange the steps. Tell me how long it’ll take as shown.” EVALUATE does not make Genie+ suggestions.

OPTIMIZE says “Re-arrange the steps in whatever order makes the most sense.” OPTIMIZE will make Genie+ suggestions.

I guess people would bring their books with them and use their preprinted plans but I am trying to think of the last time it didn’t rain, or 3 attractions didn’t go down, or that NE Senior Class didn’t just cut me in line (all 300 of them) and I had to change my plan. I guess I am just unlucky.

Still true

:laughing:

@fred here is another example of a touring plan that I made using evaluate. For some reason, the system thinks that I can get immediate return times for MFSR. This is a CL6 day.

The system does, however, indicate that I can’t get SDD, which is good. It would definitely be sold out by 2:45.

1 Like

So I am back to my question above:

You are evaluating and it is putting genie+ in?

You can click a button that says that you want to add Genie in for that specific attraction. When you do this, you see the “obtain” option. Then, I put that in the order I want it to be in. After that, I click evaluate.

1 Like

If Evaluate is preferred over Optimize, you manually add LL’s at your preferred time. TP will then forecast the RT.

1 Like

So the system is not working adding manual genie+, but the system cannot change your step because you are evaluating?

1 Like

It works but the RT’s are not accurate.

Correct, you place the LL where you want it.

3 Likes

Finally had a chance to take a look: no changes.

1 Like

This isn’t intuitive. There needs to be a box explaining how to add LL, so that people know what to do without having to ask.

2 Likes

Does that blog post explain it?

The ones in this post?

I am trying to understand if these help.

2 Likes

I’m sure it helps. I haven’t read them because I never knew they existed. The explanation should be in the TP page, so people know what to do when they are there building their plans. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

The instructions would help if building a plan with G+ actually works.

I’ve just tried to build a plan again in various ways for HS. I don’t even know where to start with all the inaccuracies. I’m even unable to custom build a plan using evaluate. It will only let you enter a custom RT for your first LL (before park open),after that the RT estimator is off 2-3 hours. :confused:

I’ve come to the conclusion that TP should not have even offered the ability to build a plan that includes G+ ahead of time. Adding LL’s in park to your “checklist” looks like the only way to use a touring plan.

7 Likes

There are too many moving parts. Figuring out the best touring plan with G+ is as much art as science. You need to have a feel for the crowds, system, lines at various hours, hardest LLs to get, drop times, etc and make more adjustments on the fly than you had to make prior to G+.

That said, I found the prior version of the TP system where you could input in advance assumed LL return times to work quite well for preparing a general plan in advance (and then modifying as needed on-site). But this would likely only be helpful for someone who understood the variables well enough to approximate return times in advanced.

5 Likes