Difficulty with Optimized Personal Touring Plans

I’ve had a lot of issues with Optimizing with G+ too.

Here is what I have done to create a TP that I am satisfied with:

(1) Based on history, I project which LLs and return times I will be able to get.

(2) I enter those LLs and return times in the “Additional Scheduled Return Times.” in the Advanced Options.

(3) Then I Optimize.

3 Likes

Good to know, so the first LL request should be made at 7AM, and the Second one can be made at normal Park opening (for me that would be 8:30AM). There for the 3rd request could be made at 10:30AM. That just makes my optimized first HS attempt was set to 10:30am crazy wrong, and my second HS attempt of 10:22AM not much better. I may try a 3rd attempt at HS, but the results so far have been inconsistent.

1 Like

No, whether you chose your first Ll at 7am or 8:29 the second one can only be made at 2 hours after park opening.

The 2 hour rule doesn’t apply to the first choice.

If your first return time is 9:05am then you can make your second one as soon as you tap in. But if your first return time is sometime after 11am, you have to wait until 10:30 am to make another. In that regard the Optimiser is (sort of) correct.

But I agree there is something odd happening.

3 Likes

This is my problem. TP is supposed to be the one that is projecting which LL and return times I will be able to get based on history. Not me. If I can do the data analysis on this then I don’t need TP.

Honestly not even going to make TPs for this trip. Jotting down some notes and winging it with my Liner knowledge and BG1.

But the average visitor doesn’t have eight years of reading the forum and chat so they can’t wing it. But a TP isn’t useful for them due to these issues with predictions.

4 Likes

Mine have been similar. Picking my first LL at 11am for a 4pm return to Buzz doesn’t feel optimal in any way.

3 Likes

TY all, it seems other have issues with Optimizing LL requests using Touring Plans. Thanks to DaveJ and NickyS for the help and clarification. I hope TP works to improve the algorithm for better LL requests.

3 Likes

In theory, I agree with this, but I wonder if there are too many variables for TP to make this function work.

I disagree with this. I can do the analysis for which LL to gret and expected return times, but TP is still very helpful in filling in the rest of my plan for each day.

2 Likes

I suspect that this is the case.

I’m hoping to see a new model wherein TP says “hey, we can’t really make you a TP in advance if you are going to use G+ but we will 100% help you optimize LLs to your advantage and help you have the best day ever. Based on your preferences, at 7am try to get this LL or this LL. Then come back and put in the results and we will tell you what to do next.” I think that wold help set expectations and people would feel safe that they can come back to their TP at 7:01 and get more instructions.

Liners are learning that this may be the best way to use TP right now but newer/less savvy users are just frustrated and complain on other Disney groups.

5 Likes

Great recommendation from @davej

And yes it is very disappointing that TP spent a ton of time for the software to be able to suggest when to get LL’s and predict their RT’s, only to launch a poor product.

I’ve also mentioned before that I’m concerned that TP will lose customers because of it.

Barring major future improvements, I’ll stick to this thought:

7 Likes

Agree. Well said.

2 Likes

I should clarify that I say all of this with great love of TP! I recommend them all the time. I’m clearly here using their product all the time. I identify as a Liner. I leave money in bibles :joy: I want them to continue to be wildly successful. So I am hoping they can tweak the product a bit more and keep pulling new users into the awesomeness.

4 Likes

Agree.

I get where you are coming from, but I like the @MTrib suggestion better. That would preserve the ability for a user to add LLs into a TP and optimize around the LLs.

3 Likes

This! I mean I can comb through thrill data for this info, but it would be way easier if TP would just tell me the order I should get them in and when the approximate return time will be.

3 Likes

I recommend sending them an email if you don’t mind. They can look at your TP from there wnd and see how it isn’t working. That eill help to improve things doen the road.

I preferred the ability to add my projected LL return time to the current version.

1 Like

Is that still an option? That’s the version I used for our Christmas trip, and was quite happy with it in the end.

1 Like

I went with the winging it method for my trip last July and it was great. It felt so odd not having a plan to follow though.

2 Likes

I only had a touring plan for the first visit to each park, 2 days for MK. And Epcot had to be re-done that morning because our BG for Guardians was called much earlier than was predicted. And even though I knew we could return anytime I didn’t want to chance it. So I removed GotG from the plan and re-evaluated after we rode.

After that I just winged it. I did however know what I wanted to do each day, and what was non-negotiable.

2 Likes

I went back in September 2021 on a solo trip. No G+ yet. Crowds were pretty low because it was immediately before the 50th started. On my MK day I used the “ride now” feature on TP to work my way through the day. It is a great feature of the platform if you aren’t using G+ or are in a120 minute cool down and don’t feel like refreshing for a better time. Definitely felt weird to not have a plan but also fun to see how much you can do just following that.

2 Likes

I wish I’d thought of that, must admit I had forgotten about it at the time. . I think it would be quite fun to try.

1 Like

This is exactly my idea as well.

1 Like