Park bag

I take a husband who has about two dozen backpacks to choose from and let him worry about it. It’s the only thing he’s responsible for this entire trip. I feel no remorse whatsoever packing anything I want in there!

Plus, he’s currently obsessing over the choice between a backpack with a mesh back panel, and one without. He’s an absolute backpack maestro, I cannot interfere with this finely-tuned work of art. :wink:

7 Likes

The water bottle is so cool! Only thing that I thought of was do I want back wash blown in my face but I guess that’s limited by the size of the spout where you drink the water from. LOL Is the water bottle itself light weight? I think my daughter would love this bottle if it’s not too heavy to carry around all day.

We went in July last year and I used a very small sling backpack as my park bag. Its contents: thin rain jacket rolled into a bundle, chapstick, phone, driver’s license and one credit card, 8 oz water bottle, and a small ziplock bag containing 2 Tylenol, 2 Nuun tablets, and either band-aids or first-aid tape. Sometimes I also carried a tiny umbrella.

Things I packed that didn’t make it to the parks with us (or were used once and then abandoned):

• ponchos: We found we preferred jackets or umbrellas

• phone chargers: I had just gotten a new iPhone and the battery life was still great. If we took a break I recharged then. This summer I will need to carry one.

• handheld fans: We didn’t think they helped enough to be worth the space

I’m getting some of these so I can squish them in my little pack

I keep seeing a Facebook ad for a tiny umbrella that I really want to buy. It would fit perfectly in my day bag. It’s also hugely expensive and I can’t see when I’d use it.

I just don’t understand rain jackets, but apparently I’m in the minority. I’d rather have the water hit something completely external to me than have it hit something I’m wearing. But of course using an umbrella at WDW can be a safety hazard…

I buy cheap tiny umbrellas at Target because I carry them year-round in my purse or backpack, and I tend to lose them or break them.

I don’t understand how anyone can bring tons of stuff into the parks and feel like they’re relaxing or even mobile.

I mean, even my list I know I can fit into a smaller container, and/or I could probably do away most of it (like really, if it’s just a short cloud burst rain, do I need that poncho?), but I tend to buy things in the park which I don’t feel like carrying in my hands (like…say… 3 jumbo mickey cookies or rice crispy treats), so I like to bring something that will have room to keep my hands free.

But all this “micro fan” “towels” “seat cushions” “straws” etc… man that just seems like too much to me. Do you actually end up using it a lot to warrant carrying it around ALL DAY? I keep thinking it would stay in the pack except for that one 5 minute break (out of an entire day) where it gets used and then it’s back into the pack for the rest of the day.

To clarify: I’m not casting dispersion on people’s load out choices… just…wait yes I am. Y’all are nuts! :rofl:

6 Likes

I’d rather you call us all nuts honestly, rather than lie about us being sane. :wink:

2 Likes

We’ve left sanity at the door when we subscribed to this looney bin.

6 Likes

Excuse me…I am a proud Disney Freak…

2 Likes

Do you bring a water bottle? So many seem to not mention water bottles.

1 Like

And to think you used to be my favourite.

Well, OK, that’s a fair point.

It’s pretty simply, really.

You either carry a bag, or you don’t. If you do carry a bag (of whatever type, however big or small, heavy or light) you may as well use it. It’s a sunk cost.

I prefer to carry a bag than carry things in my pockets. And the bag I’ve settled on is pretty small.

The inflatable cushion is tiny and weighs virtually nothing. Carrying it in my bag will be no burden. And sitting on those bleachers is really uncomfortable. I think it’ll be worth it for sure.

Surely we all know that Frapuccinos are a major part of my WDW experience? I had one in AK last year with a paper straw. It was a catastrophe.

My bag is a hard case, so I don’t share @ryan1’s concern that I might stab myself with it.

The micro fan is a bit of a waste of time. But it weighs nothing and will fit in the bag. Why not?

1 Like

I did on my original trips, but since have learned it’s not needed. Every Quick Service restaurant will give you free ice water, you just have to go ask. There’s also water in some places off to the side that require no interaction with anyone. Just walk up and grab some (Gaston’s and Mama Melrose’s springs to mind…no pun intended)

1 Like

I guess. But “tiny” …is still bigger than ‘nothing’ . And when you combine it with a “hard briefcase” (which is a whole other personal headscratcher for me) then you’re just carrying around extra weight and taking up the very limited space.

And sure, of all the ideas presented in this thread, yes, the seat cushion is the most sensible, but it’s still a limited use-case object.

Still, I’m not trying to convince you to abandon your plan (…you’ll likely do that on your own :wink: ) but just curious how you’re justifying carrying everything short of the kitchen sink. :slight_smile:

Well your problem is you’re drinking them too slow. This is WDW, homie… not “Grandma’s relaxing sit and sip!” chug that thing and go get another!! MOVE MOVE MOVE!!! (or grab two of the paper straws…y’know…whichever)

So is a sewing kit…why aren’t you carrying that around?

1 Like

Maybe I am still stuck on the whole straw thing, but when I saw this I initially thought, “wow she is really in vacation mode if she brings a little tiny umbrella for her drinks!” Apparently I didn’t get enough sleep last night :rofl::sweat_smile::rofl::sweat_smile::rofl::sweat_smile::rofl::closed_umbrella::open_umbrella:

16 Likes

HAHAHAHA! Love it!

If anyone still reading:

Childs backpack (very small)
extra phone batteries (I have a samsungs s5 so I can just snap it out)
paper copies of TP, 1 CC and disney gift card
bandaids, aspirin, poncho, rain booties that go over my shoes
sample size sun block. DH wears cargo shorts, but I carry everything for us anyway

1 Like

LOL, it’s a lot smaller than that!

Isn’t that an argument against wearing a watch? You use it (in the sense of looking at it) for a few seconds a day.

Actually, isn’t it an argument against carrying a poncho? How long will you actually wear it for on any given day? How long will I be sitting on my cushion?

It’s about trial and improvement. On my first trip I carried a water bottle. That proved to be heavy and pointless. Cool drinks are not difficult to find.

Ah, now I know you’re not being serious. You as much as anyone have inspired me to stop and smell the roses. Or, at least, photograph the little statues in the Hub.

Because the other things I plan to carry I know I will use, or I’m very likely to use. I’m unlikely to need a sewing kit.

Most people advocate carrying a poncho. In my case, I’m going with my Columbia jacket. Which I need to carry somehow . . .

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering about this jacket we’ve been hearing so much about. I’m in the market for a rain jacket, but I have some requirements:

Zipper pockets
A Hood
QUIET
Thin-ish weight

I’d be willing to invest if I found the right one. Does your famous Columbia jacket fit all these requirements? Is it worth a trip to the Columbia store for me?

Yes. I’m super-happy* with it.

It ticks all your boxes. And it’s super-high quality.

*I’m almost never happy about anything.

4 Likes