Packing tips? Compression cubes?

Haven’t seen any packing related discussions here in a while so thought I’d start one.

I am debating buying some compression cubes and wondered if anyone used them and either loved them or hated them. I have tried so many ways to pack over the years and I’m fairly happy with my current plan, but I’m always looking for more tips and tricks.

3 Likes

I’ve used compression cubes on/off over the years. The one complication that I have is a tendency to over pack when using them and that led to my bags being overweight. I always bring one for dirty laundry though. I don’t know why dirty clothes seem to take up more space??? Anyway, if I don’t wash before returning home the compression cubes are GREAT for compacting their space and leaving room for souvenirs.

3 Likes

Is there a specific brand you recommend?

1 Like

Packing cubes are fabulous. I roll my clothes into them. I like to unpack in hotels so I just unzip the cubes and place them in drawers.

4 Likes

Do you use regular cubes or compression ones?

1 Like

I use packing cubes too, I love them b/c, like you, I can just pop them into the hotel dresser drawer: Amazon.com | OEE 6 pcs Luggage Packing Organizers Packing Cubes Set for Travel | Packing Organizers

These are the compression bags I use: Amazon.com: 12 Travel Compression Bags, Hibag 12-Pack Roll-Up Space Saver Storage Bags for Travel, Suitcase Size (12-Travel) : Home & Kitchen

1 Like

I use regular ones.

2 Likes

That’s a good deal on that set. I tried those space saving bags once, but I couldn’t get them to really compress at all.

These are the ones I was looking into https://www.amazon.com/Packing-Travel-Organizer-Compression-Carryon/dp/B078RSHPDP?th=1&psc=1

1 Like

I don’t do compression cubes or roll clothes due to bags being overweight. I do fine regular packing cubes super handy for corralling socks, undies, cords, etc.

2 Likes

We use regular packing cubes and roll our clothes.

I also bought these for our most recent trip and they are amazing for packing and for using in the parks:
16pcs Mesh Zipper Pouches for Organization, Colored PVC Pouch Clear Multipurpose Document Bags for Organing Office Supplies Travel Makeup Cosmetics Storage 8 Size

3 Likes

We love packing cubes but hate compression cubes. Cubes keep everything organized. We are with @Dreamer, we unzip them into the drawers. I tend to stack top and bottom for the day together so that I just keep on grabbing what’s on top. Compression cubes are hard for us to pack and they don’t unzip all the way in the drawers. Each family member has a different colored cube so we can easily identify each person’s stuff.

For my trips to DLR and FL recently, I got one week’s worth of clothes and stuff into a regulation carry on (about 22’’ x 14’’ x 9’'). We use ebags. For a week, I typically use the largest and the smallest from this set:

https://www.ebags.com/accessories/packing-cubes/classic-packing-cubes-3pc-set/1177521041.html?productid=117752-1041&country=US&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5aWOBhDMARIsAIXLlkf5ZTCiugFYRWeuH5YunoZC_kekHIIlJcG9gQPQB76XUUIMgqROkLoaArWjEALw_wcB

DH and DS tend to use the medium sized one for tops. Men’s bottoms tend to be thicker and heavier.

Toiletries go in here:
https://www.ebags.com/accessories/toiletry-cosmetic-bags/classic-large-pack-it-flat-toiletry-kit/117824XXXX.html?dwvar_117824XXXX_color=Denim&cgidmaster=toiletry-cosmetic-bags

We have the smaller version of the toiletry bag but I like the bigger one!

We’ve used our cubes for more than a dozen years without issues. We throw them in the wash when we come home.

For laundry bags, we use pillow cases. When the family goes on vacation together, we sort into 4 pillowcases: dark, whites, mix, and delicate. It makes it easy to do laundry on the trip, if we chose to do so. The pillowcase goes in with the load. We stuff the clean clothes back into the pillowcase, take it to our room, and fold the clean laundry.

7 Likes

ooooohhhh, those look interesting…

2 Likes

I use something similar to this toiletry bag b/c when I traveled for work a lot it was the easiest to get through TSA: Amazon.com: Tsa Approved Clear Travel Toiletry Makeup Bags with Zipper and Handle Waterproof Transparent PVC Cosmetic Bag (Medium, Pink) : Beauty & Personal Care

and for longer trips I bring this along: Amazon.com: Larpur Popup Mesh Laundry Basket, Collapsible and Portable Clothes Washing Laundry Hamper with Reinforced Carry Handle (Grey) : Home & Kitchen

1 Like

I have the same packing cubes and toiletry bag from eBags. :grin:

4 Likes

Do you love them as much as we do? :wink:

1 Like

That’s nice that they are waterproof.

1 Like

I love eBags. My first travel bag for my first solo adult trip was their original weekender bag. I have 2 of them and they are well traveled and loved. It’s essentially a full saozed carryon bag strapped to your back. I’m too old for that now, but I can’t bear to get rid of them.

1 Like

Having a laundry bag is essential!

2 Likes

I do!

In addition to my WDW travels, in before times I volunteered for camps and on tour with the drum and bugle corps my daughter marched with. Having my clothes and toiletries organized were key as we were traveling by bus and living out of duffel bags!

I have had many toiletry bags over the years and this has been, by far, my favorite.

My other eBag essential has been my work backpack, that is amazing as my traveling office (we no longer have assigned desks), and is a breeze when on the go in airports! Especially helpful is the zip open front for pens and other small items, and the hard shelled bottom section for all the cords & plugs!

https://www.ebags.com/backpacks/laptop-backpacks/pro-slim-laptop-backpack/117775XXXX.html?dwvar_117775XXXX_color=Heathered%20Graphite&cgidmaster=backpacks

4 Likes

My number 1 packing tip is, do laundry during pool time. One or two afternoons I’ll do a couple of loads while the kids are in a pool.

And,
https://www.laundryview.com/selectProperty?property=7463

will let you check the availability of washers/dryers, before you walk there.

4 Likes