Our 2nd “Once-in-a-Lifetime Trip” + UOR (2/27-3/7/2021)

I want a dog in the worst way recently
But I want to go to WDW every possible chance
Can’t have both - it’s one or the other
WDW wins.

5 Likes

Pre-kids, we had two boxers. If you know the breed you know they are bonkers and act like puppies til they’re at least 4. But they also love you unconditionally. When we moved from a big, wooded, fenced backyard in NC to a tiny green square in OH, we found them a family with a huge yard and another boxer to boot. People get all bent out of shape if you rehome a pet but these dogs were way happier running in a pack on a farm belonging to retired humans, than being leashed/caged by busy but well meaning us. Both recently passed, and I still miss them. Every time I see a bull breed or hound, I make a fool of myself, I love them so much. However, after 7 years without a dog, I can’t even imagine going back to the slobber, hair, doggie daycare, poop on the floor days. The three poop diapers I’ve changed this morning reallllly make me not want to also scoop it outside.

4 Likes

We have cats. We just went to Hawaii for three nights. Left them with lots of food and water and clean/full litter boxes. They were just fine. You cannot do this with dogs!

7 Likes

I was wondering where bebe has been all day and if we angered him in some way. Then I looked back and remembered he is at Volcano Bay. No time for updating at a water park. I hope you are having an awesome day!

4 Likes

I totally just had this same conversation.

2 Likes

I just imagine him going down that tube slide he was so excited about, over and over again!

They are probably having THE BEST time. While we’re here. At work. Staring at the monitor. Hoping for an update.

I need a hug and a super sugary coffee. Not in that order.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I don’t get angry that easily!

5 Likes

Phone stayed in locker. Headed to CityWalk. I’ll post later.

7 Likes

Glad you survived all those crazy waterslides! Enjoy CityWalk!

2 Likes

I never had or wanted a dog until recently. My parents both grew up on farms and had farm dogs but were against having one as a pet in the house. I knew my wife wanted one, and that it would help to some small extent after losing her mother a couple years ago, so we got this little sweetheart. She’s half Shih tzu, half bichon. Super smart, doesn’t shed (but that means grooming every 6 weeks or so), almost never has any kind of bathroom accident. She is the most loving and loyal little creature, and she’s been a godsend for keeping my extrovert wife company while working from home through covid. And she even gets to my soft side that’s buried down deep somewhere. Kids don’t really help with her, as expected, but oh well.

Anyway to the point, you can have both. We’ve been on 3 longer vacations (including WDW and DCL) since having her, and found a great local kennel where she gets walked multiple times a day, has an indoor and outdoor playground, gets playtime with other small dogs that all have required shots, etc. and it’s like only 200 for a week. We trust them more than any family members who would half-ass it. :rofl:

Hopefully there’s an option that works for you. But agree with the others, if you don’t have the right dog, it’s like having the work of another baby. :smile:

This is her “Why are you taking a pic, just open the door so I can go pee” look.

12 Likes

thank you this is very helpful!

2 Likes

I think we will wait until we live nearer our Home. But I super appreciate your perspective. She’s a cutie.

And we have a couple of super awesome sweetheart cats who are super easy to manage in spite of our desire to travel.

4 Likes

I volunteer with our local humane society fostering kittens. They have been completely out of adoptable cats many times during the pandemic and a few times out of adoptable dogs. I think this pandemic was a great time to add a new dog to the family! Animals really can ease a lot of emotional distress … which we’ve all experienced this last year!

4 Likes

Dogs are awesome! I can’t imagine life without this love bug. He never leaves my side. Seriously follows me to the bathroom and sleeps on a dog bed at the side of by my bed, or if he is lucky, at the bottom of my bed. Sometimes, he guards the stairs though. When he gets the shoes, he wants to play chase.

8 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

We were in no rush to hurry out since it was a cooler morning. Arrived at Volcano Bay at 11:30. They have you park in the lowest parking garage floor for VB guests. Then the buses are just nearby to transport you there. The pathways to enter the park are well themed and gorgeous.

After temp check and security we arrived at the gates for the team members to scan our tickets. There was at least 3 open lanes with people working the ticket scanners and biometric scanners for your finger. The family went left to 2 team members and I went right to a different one. I held out my ticket (photo up thread post 319) and she said, I can’t take that sir it’s not your whole ticket. Say what??? She said yeah, the bottom of your ticket is cut off. OK? So I can just use my mobile ticket right?
(This is my email)

“Oh no sir, you must have a full page printed ticket”. So, I proceeded to give her a confused look and just walked over to another team member and got scanned right in. I can’t make this stuff up folks.

When comparing WDW to UOR, there is always something that you observe that you can say, Disney is more organized and UOR has some quirks and inconsistencies. We experienced something similar 3 years ago.

We rented a standard locker and was able to fit in our back pack and 1 sling bag. Remember to set up your mobile wallet at home first so you don’t have to deal with it last minute. As soon as they linked our tickets to our Tapu wrist bands it was good to go. The wrist bands opened the locker and when you buy, food, drinks, rent towels, you just tap to pay.

We did everything we wanted. 4 hours was enough because there were no waits. Feasting Frog was not open so we ate at Whakawaiwai. The pizza was surprisingly very good. The air temp (72-74) was a little chilly for DW and DS, but perfect for me and DD. DD is a water nut and has no fear. She could do the trap door slides all day. I’m so glad we took a little time for VB this week!

DW just did Krakatau and Honu besides the fearless river. Me and the kids also did Ko’okiri, Ohyah and Ohno, and Tai Nui. Kids didn’t do Punga. Our family favorite was the Fearless River, we were on that long, multiple times. It was great, water temp in the upper 80’s. Sorry, not many photos!

11 Likes

I had zero interest in VB until the Super Liner Bros. trip report and now this. We might have to try it someday!

5 Likes

Beautiful shot of DS at sunset. And your meal looked delicious!

Thanks for the UOR tips!

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure if parking at the VB marked parking would make for more walking when going to CW afterwards, but it didn’t. Same garage, just down below.

We always enjoy Bubba Gump’s shrimp!

Eta: this was the first place on our trip that actually had menus you could hold.

I may not have mentioned yet…I printed menus ahead of time for every place we planned to eat at. It was nice to get them out when we were waiting in ride lines or just on a break before a meal. Not always the best to look at menus on the phone!

8 Likes

Since we’re talking dogs, this is our Milo. From my in-laws the first part of our trip:

Here he is looking for us

And with my parents currently

(Yes they have to share him) :joy::man_shrugging:

10 Likes