Orlando Theme Parks provide proposed re-opening date at Orange County Task Force Meeting tomorrow May 21st EDIT

People keep saying this. Is that because of the international CMs? Are they legally obligated not to fill those positions with other people? I can see not opening some of the restaurants (primarily the contracted ones) if they can’t get proper staffing and there not being as much street entertainment but not sure that is that big of an obstacle to opening the park? Am I missing something?

2 Likes

From what I hear Epcot isn’t the park that’s likely to be closed. There’s plenty of space in Epcot, the paths are quite wide and it would be quite easy to ensure a good flow of people through the park.

(I admit I think the Cultural Exchange Programme is where people were focusing before. But turns out it isn’t an issue).

There’s one park that isn’t the case for, which is the one likely to be kept closed the longest.

1 Like

Multiple reasons.

The international CMs is one of them.

But also, given the amount of on-going construction, it seems reasonable they might take the opportunity to make the on-going construction more efficient by keeping guests out of the park.

Also, there’s the fact that most of the “attractions” at EPCOT involve eateries (where they would have severely limit capacity) or indoor rides like Soarin’ and Mission:Space, where you are confined closely together with folks, etc.

If they remain open, all the better. We love EPCOT. But of the four parks, I think it is the one most likely to stay closed the longest.

ETA: Oh, and one more I didn’t include…that EPCOT is the most “stale” of the parks, and would be the least draw for folks to return to the parks. If you close HS, people would be more likely to go, “Why bother going?” Same with AK due to Pandora. But what “must see” attraction is there at EPCOT right now? Nothing, really.

1 Like

But Epcot is a construction disaster and while it may offer more space, there’s nothing for people to do there … except eat in restaurants that are limited to 25% capacity, shop in stores with limited capacity, and see shows where people are packed in and where distancing is not feasible.

OK there are a few other attractions, but I don’t see it as a good option.

The international employees is another layer altogether.

Which park are YOU thinking of?

1 Like

Oh cool. :heart::heart::heart:

But that confuses me even more. It has to be the TA then that’s refusing to refund. We can’t even get into the US just now. And the chances of that lifting by July 8th without either quarantine or a Covid test are minuscule IMO.

I was wondering the same.

She better not touch my AK… them’d be fightin words

FWIW

Legoland given okay by local authorities to re-open June 1st, still needs state approval

Island H2O Waterpark to re-open this Saturday

1 Like

The rides at Epcot are all do-able, albeit limited. I agree with WS but they do have all those food booths they use for “festivals”.

I assume it’s DHS that’s the problem. Lots of shows that are problematic from an entry and exit POV as well as capacity. Rides that would need to be one group, one vehicle - and that wouldn’t be a lot of fun. Imagine being on your own in the Falcon! They do have a one way system through GE and TSL they could use, but they would have to limit capacity in both according to how many lingered in the first - if you see what I mean. Narrow paths.

Much easier to have a one way system around AKL I would have thought.

2 Likes

If Disney were to do a phased opening, starting with one park at a time, I think AK would be the third one to open, I’m afraid to say. However, I don’t see them waiting for it to be last by any measure because of the animals. The fact is, the park involves employees needing to care for the animals constantly anyhow, so why not just go ahead and open it up?

As much as I love EPCOT, I’m not blind to the fact that it is seems like it would be the last choice for folks to go to. Why else does EPCOT need to rely so heavily on Festivals to draw in the crowds? Until they are done with all the new construction and vision, it just doesn’t have the draw the other parks have.

1 Like

I don’t know about cancelling but they are still charging to modify dates, my friend rescheduled a couple of days ago. The TA said they aren’t passing the fee on to customers because they hope Disney will refund them if either the parks are still shut, or we can’t travel to the US.

2 Likes

DHS in the age of social distancing:

Frozen sing along - closed space, AC, people singing. Probably wouldn’t work with social distancing

Voyage of the little mermaid - same as Frozen

Muppets - ?

Indiana Jones - probably possible without audience interaction, reduced capacity and spreading people

Beauty and the Beast - same as IJ

Tower of Terror - people screaming in a small closed space for a while, doesn’t look possible unless it is one group at a time

RnRC - Maybe possible without a queue

TSM - Maybe possible without a queue

SDD - same

MFSR - without a queue and with one party per cockpit, maybe?

RotR - there are a lot of intervals with people close together in a confined space, hard to see how to make this work

AS2 - probably Ok

Star Tours - long time, closed space, sounds pretty hard to keep safe

Fantasmic - same as IJ

2 Likes

I agree with you…except that’s why we’ll be wearing masks at DHS for some time. The use of masks mitigates some of the concern.

1 Like

Could Disney experiment with this?

Have a masked person screaming at rides and analysing where their droplets end up?

1 Like

If your arrival date is before June 30th

I arrive in June, but my booking isn’t until July. Booked from the UK direct with Disney.

New France. Ratatouille.

That hasn’t opened yet, and opening will be delayed due to construction delays.

Anyone listening to the taskforce meeting?

These public comments – masks! Masks, everywhere!

In addition to Universal presenting their re-opening plan at today’s meeting, the following minor attractions are seeking re-opening approval

Face Amusement
Fun Spot America
Gatorland
Icon Park
K1 Speed
Magical Midway
Nona Adventure Park
Slingshot
Starflyer
WonderWorks Orlando

https://ocfl.app.box.com/s/jcwvdt5dxyekx2a8nx5ym0khgm65e6hh/file/667936457578

1 Like

Public Comments done, now onto the Health update.

1 Like