Orlando Informer Meet-up

Ahem …

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I keep wanting to call you “profmatt”.

Shush. That’s a secret.

Besides, it’s been two years. Time to embrace the new.

2 Likes

Is that your IG name or am I literally not letting go of it after two years??? Geez, I need therapy.

Ouch! That stinks. I agree now would not be the best time for something like this. Bummer.

1 Like

Well, yeah, I didn’t change my Instagram. I did set up a mousematt one but I couldn’t be bothered to use it.

Yeah… that’s the reason I didn’t sign-up for last December when I wanted to do a solo trip

1 Like

It does say non-transferable, but on the Orlando Informer FB page, folks have had to cancel and they’ve been allowed to (sell I guess?) and transfer their tickets to others. It happened quite often for the December event. I think they contacted OI people to confirm and then advertised that the tickets were available. YMMV but don’t rule it out. Also, I think when you arrive at 5, but before the free food begins, they give you some free meal vouchers so that you can eat at that time if you want. Someone else may be able to confirm this.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! I think I need to be more serious (or the pandemic needs to be less serious!) before I commit to it. Neither of which will happen before the current sale expires on 2/17! :crazy_face:

1 Like

I attended one night in December 2020. It was very fun with most rides being walk-ons. The free food offerings didn’t start until 1 hour after park close and the waits for food were quite long since they were still following Covid precautions, so you had to wait to get a table and then wait for someone to come and take your order at locations like Louie’s, Thunder Falls, & Leaky Cauldron. The locations with walk up windows were much better. Also, some locations ran out of food and stopped serving 90 minutes prior to the listed food ending time (Green Eggs & Ham - we really wanted to try the buffalo tots!).

Upon check-in at the event, we were given a QSDP card to use that day, which included an entree plus drink, a snack, & an additional drink - unlike the current QSDP, the additional drink could not be used for a snack, but had to be used for a drink - we went with bottled water.

Overall, the event was great. It was very crowded during the last few hours of the parks being open (the parks hit capacity that day), but once they officially closed, it didn’t take long for the crowds to clear.

I’m considering attending the June event, but haven’t purchased tickets yet due to not knowing what is going to happen with the pandemic.

4 Likes

I also attended one night of December 2020 event and had a similar experience to Jadesfire. Only real waits were Hagrid’s (where waited 45 minutes or so), HP treats, and sit-down restaurants. I thought it was a great event, and am glad I did it. I now have that little itch to go back for more (nothing like walking up to every food stand you pass to ask for something). If they do another one in December, I probably will. As other comments noted, many people were selling their tickets through Facebook (with permission of OI) if they needed to cancel for some reason.

2 Likes

I will mention one negative.

Maybe because of jet lag, maybe because of overdoing it in general during the trip, but I was soooo tired towards the end and I think I may even have quit a little early.

This also happened to me during a DAH at HS, where I did leave early. I just couldn’t stay awake any longer.

1 Like

Do you think if velicoaster is open by then that it will be included?

Based on the fact that Hagrid was included in the Meet-Up I attended, which was about six months after it opened, I would say “yes”.

2 Likes

I think I’m gonna do this…I am going to confer with hubby but if the tickets are still available for the next day or two…We are going to be in Orlando at Boardwalk from May 28-Jun 9 so it really is perfect timing and it’s such a long trip we can afford a night away at USO and sleep in the next day so hopefully we won’t get tired like you did. I really enjoyed the Halloween Horror Nights VIP tour I did with DD 2019 in USHollywood. If this is anything like that it sounds magical. Between the VIP tour and OI Meetup which did you prefer because with VIP you literally get to skip the lines for everything and then get EP for the rest of the time but it sounds like that’s not necessary except for maybe Hagrid’s and Velicoaster if it’s open.

3 Likes

I did the Meet-Up in December 2019. There were zero lines except for Hagrid. I didn’t time it but I would say the wait was between thirty minutes and an hour. Everything else was a walk-on. There was infinite food of infinite variety. I should have arranged to be more hungry and maybe spent more time eating. But … rides. And … tired. It was obviously a lot cheaper than the VIP tour. And at night, so it’s dark. In a spookily empty park.

I’ve done three non-private VIP tours. Yes, you go straight to the front of the line. Less than zero waiting! And you get an interesting tour guide, of … varying quality. Yes, you hit all the top rides. But you don’t choose the itinerary. They know you’re desperate to do Hagrid so that’s going to be on the schedule, unless it’s down. But sometimes we did RRR, sometimes we didn’t. For example. You get to meet other people, which is fun. And the food was good, though I think right now you’re just getting dining cards. It’s a lot (?) more expensive.

Which did I prefer? Hmm. Tricky. They’re both really good. The VIP tour is a bigger time commitment, especially if you’re going to take advantage of the Express Pass. It’s an “early” start to the day. The Meet-Up is a very late finish to the day. Maybe more atmosphere on the VIP tour because of the busier park. Tour guide info and behind the scenes stuff is cool.

Honestly? I can’t choose. They were both great and I recommend each of them. I would do either again. (Well, I wouldn’t because I don’t necessarily feel like I need to. I think I’m good to go with an Express Pass. I’d really only be paying for the increased chance / shorter lines for Hagrid and Velocicoaster and I don’t think that’s worth the money to me now.)

1 Like

Following the thread in case they do another December event.

IMO Late night empty parks>front of the line access. Let me stroll/wander/skip/run/twirl at my own pace.

4 Likes

Twirl 🩰 :dancer: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

There may or may not have been a time going down Main Street.

I lie. There has certainly been a time where twirling happened. There has been a time where all of the above happened. Something about Main Street USA. Will it happen at UOR? I’m not sure, but I can’t wait to find out!

4 Likes