Orange County FL reduces physical distance rules from 6 feet to 3 feet in ALL SETTINGS - Could this mean WDW increases capacity?

Multiple reports about the news conference of OC Mayor Jerry Demings, nothing out of WDW but Disney has taken guidance from Orange County regarding their current Covid standards.

Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings announced physical distancing requirements have been relaxed from 6ft to 3ft, effective immediately. This new minimum standard could pave the way for Disney World and other theme parks within Orange County to relax physical distancing within their theme parks – effectively doubling their current capacity restrictions.

While taking reporter questions, News 6 asked Mayor Demings, “Yesterday we had spoken about the theme parks, and you’re thinking they’re going to probably change things. A lot of things are outdoor, our theme parks and attractions — they have told us they’re going to rely on county leaders. Have there been any conversations, and what changes we can be seeing in our tourism district?”
Mayor Demings responded, “So in terms of have we had any communication with our theme parks, yes, we’ve had communication with them . They will make some adjustments .”

3 Likes

Following to see opinions on this change and if there will be any impact on my trip!

Orange County - New Rules

3 Likes

I’ve been saying we can expect an increase to 50% by July 1

5 Likes

WDW to pay employees for getting vacinated.

The more OC residents get vaccinated the quicker WDW gets back to normal.

8 Likes

I don’t think 3 ft spacing will do much to help improve capacity. Disney would still need to space rides and shows. They might be able to increase shows from about 1/4 capacity to 1/3. Possibly to 1/2 if they can stagger seats and eliminate skipping a row entirely. Still…that won’t help much.

1 Like

I think we are going to see a lot of changes to restrictions coming pretty soon.

Just saw this story about Cedar Point and their plans for this summer.

4 Likes

Seems like the need is there, given people not being able to get into their parks they want. I can see them increasing. Vaccine is easier and easier to get here.

They absolutely will need to open more people-eaters (shows) and increase restaurant capacity before (or at the same time as) they increase park capacity. And with three more hotels set to open soon, all the more reason they’ll have to do all of that. So I think the capacity will increase but the “feel” of it won’t change provided people can go places. Waits may increase, however, unless they increase capacity there too

5 Likes

This article is confusing. Masks are required outdoors and on rides if unable to maintain 6 feet of distancing, and they are required “while you’re indoors or if you’re 10 or older.” So they are still required for everyone 10 and older everywhere?

I watched this press conference. The county public health director thought that they could get to Phase 2 in about 3 weeks or so. Said it might be faster if they got vaccination reports from the DoD and VA or something because then they could count military personnel which they aren’t right now(?). I think going into Phase 2 will really make the big difference.

My DH went to the VA for his vaccination b/c he couldn’t get one from the state. Up until 2 weeks ago (?) Patrick AFB was only giving shots to 65+.

1 Like

I heard that the VA was also vaccinating family members, which is great, especially in areas where it might mot be as easy to get vaccinated at a county or local site.

I think that’s true but I can’t confirm it. At the time my DH just got his and DS and I went to the FEMA site

1 Like

It is true but it was announced and implemented way late. DH’s Dad is a veteran and by the time it was announced they had both (FIL and MIL) already started the process at a civilian vaccination site.

2 Likes

At least it’s there for the stragglers.

2 Likes

I like the vaccination metrics being the indicator for moving to the next phase. Perhaps this will encourage the vaccine-hesitant population to get one in order to lift the distancing and mask mandates. Maybe not, as so many have bought into conspiracy theories, but fingers crossed. Here, vaccines are open to 16+ without an appointment, and we have way more doses than people will take.

8 Likes

Although changing government mandates is a requirement for Disney to relax theirs, I highly doubt that they will rely on that to make their decisions. I expect that they will have a more conservative timeline. I do agree with @OBNurseNH that they will likely be at 50% in the summer.

Also, I highly doubt Phase 3 will be entered via the “70% vaccinated” route given the degree of hesitancy.

4 Likes

And although Orange County might reach 50% vaccinated and relax some C-19 measures; WDW brings in ppl from all over, from places that may not have reached that threshold. I think that Disney would consider this too.

3 Likes

Do you think visitors to WDW are more or less likely to be vaccinated than the local population? :thinking: It’s probably beneficial to be more cautious regardless just because of the mixing of different populations that happens there.

2 Likes