Optimize, evaluate, or keep calm and carry on?

I searched past posts and most recent seems to be from two years ago so I’m going to bring the topic up again.

Once you are in the park with your well-tweaked personalized TP (I may have become a bit obsessed) do you evaluate throughout the day? Or re-optimize? Or trust your TP and just follow it?

I am wary of optimize because I have moved things around to my liking and it’s not necessarily what the TP software recommends. However, if a ride goes off line or something else happens that significantly changes wait times, it might make sense to let the software do its thing.

Curious what veteran Liners like to do.

It is suggested that you re-optimize or re-evalute the night before and than many times during the day. You should also click “Done” after you have finished an item on your plan. I would also suggest, that you bring a hard copy, if you can, so that you have something to refer to, or even make it a pdf and have it on your phone.

1 Like

I re-evaluate throughout the day as I mark things done. The only time I have re-optimized in the park is this past trip when I got a SDFP for FOP. I needed the system to figure out a new show schedule for me. So I optimized.

I should add that I printed plans on the first trip, and it is (in my opinion) just not the way to go. There is so much info and data available, even throughout the day, that it works so much better to be re-evaluating in the app. Gives the most updated info.

1 Like

Once I have a plan I like I never re-optimize. I evaluate like mad but that optimize button scares me once I’ve crafted a masterpiece

9 Likes

For our full touring days, I usually make a “copy” of the TP and work off of it in the park. I will hit done after completing the attraction. I don’t usually re-evaluate after every attraction. I will if we are way off time or a ride goes down or something else comes up. I will also re-evaluate/optimize during lunch or a break when necessary. But I don’t mess with my “original” TP (my preferred order) so I can go back and see how I had it before just in case something goes awry in the “copy”

2 Likes

Hear hear!

2 Likes

I hate when you think you are hitting the evaluation and instead somehow hit the optimize. Has happened a few times. Not fun.

3 Likes

I generally evaluate unless something throws my plan into chaos, then I optimize.

And when you’re traveling with a 10 month old (my last trip), chaos is the rule, not the exception. We’ll see how it goes next week with a 20 month old.

1 Like

I evaluate, because the TP doesn’t know which rides I’d rather skip if needed.

2 Likes

Thanks. I plan to have a hard copy along so I can see an overview of the day easier.

1 Like

Nice score on the SDFP for FOP! I guess that would count as throwing a plan into chaos. But good chaos!

2 Likes

This is my concern. Hours of tweaking down the drain with a touch of a button. But I do wonder if I’m missing out on a better plan by not optimizing. Glad to know someone else feels very protective of the Perfect Plan.

2 Likes

I think the idea of creating a back up once it’s reordered and evaluated to my content in advance is probably the way I’ll go, then if optimise screws it up I can switch to the back up.

2 Likes

Thanks! I have made a million copies of plans while I have been making my masterpieces. Didn’t think of doing the same thing for my actual park day. Then I can flip back and forth to see how much time I’d save with the optimized plan and have a way to account for FP4+ (which I am sure to get thanks to @OBNurseNH excellent tutorial).

2 Likes

I’m sure it will be better with a toddler :joy: I have the opposite end of the spectrum - two teens. So we are subject to the whims of a teenage girl’s hormonal rages and a teenage boy’s hangry rages.

2 Likes

Ah, another good point.

Ugh, this happened twice to us yesterday as we were trying to build our ultimate plan for AK. Makes your heart drop after you realize what you did! It would be great if TP could build in an “are you sure” interim button before it optimizes.

3 Likes

I made these little “cheat sheets” with times for ADRs and FPPs, and had the order of things put in between. So we had an idea of the order of things but it left some flexibility. I only used the Disney app for finding SDFPs in the park, didn’t use the TP app in the park. Next trip I want to try and submit wait times tho :grin:

4 Likes

If you build your plans using the Web site and then try and transition to the App once you are in the park, you will find the App to be a bit daunting. If modifying and optimizing once in the park is your planned approach, be sure you become fluent with the App ahead of time

1 Like