On Site Now -Here is the latest outrageous ride hack

As I questioned above, though…I’m not sure that’s true. As I’ve seen it explained, and how Disney’s site mentions it, using DAS to avoid the line doesn’t actually avoid the WAIT. You still have to wait for a return time, which as I understand it, matches the current standby wait time?

I’m not justifying his decision, by any means…but I also don’t know that it has the kind of benefit to himself that people are thinking it does.

1 Like

How are they bypassing lines now? Previously I thought DAS basically put you in the FP line, but with Covid I thought there was no FP line. Is it just a line cutting shortcut that varies based on the ride? Or? Just wondering the logistics now more than anything.

It is, because the throughput is slowed down. While the DAS pass is waiting for you in one line, you can ride another ride, which increases the wait time for that ride.

1 Like

I see. So as long as the person with the DAS is willing to wait in the OTHER line without using DAS, it gives them an advantage.

1 Like

Correct. So, in essence they can ride 2 rides in not much longer than it would take most people to ride 1.

If you think about the whole park as having a certain throughput of the rides, being in two ride lines at once, increases the total wait time of the lines in those rides, which can influence wait times on other rides too, since people may go to those rides instead. It’s kind of a butterfly effect, if you will. That is, if enough people were to do that.

1 Like

So, in other words, this guy is causing all the afternoon rain showers! :wink:

2 Likes

And plagues too. Come to think of it, he may have been patient zero for Corona virus. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I look for hacks and loopholes to save money and time in most things as much as anyone, but I don’t think anyone here can come up with any rationale where abusing DAS is ok. In the same category as having a fake handicap placard and taking up a handicap parking spot or pretending to need a wheelchair when you don’t. I’m not perfect and can practice some moral gymnastics here and there, but this is several steps too far. I’m disappointed that Disney would allow this. All CM’s should just repeat the disclaimer from the website, that everyone there is assuming some risk due to COVID-19. You don’t get perks by being more worried than someone else. Don’t go if it’s too much of a problem.

8 Likes

I’ve gone to Disneyland with a friend who uses the DAS pass as she has an (invisible) medical condition that makes waiting in lines challenging for her. How it worked is she would go to one of the plaid people (guest services?) and ask to ride…Space Mountain. This was at Disneyland so no Magic Bands but she had a phone app and they would put our return time on her phone which matched the standby wait time. For many rides, especially since Disneyland has tight queues for older rides, we entered through the exit. It is very convenient as a healthy person to be able to get a snack, sit on a bench, shop, whatever instead of “waiting in line” but having seen her wait during pre-shows/other waits that can’t be helped, I could see that waiting an hour for Space Mountain would’ve been a miserable experience for her. She is an AP holder and Disneyland is her happy place. I had a lot of fun going with her and I can attest if you use the DAS pass honestly, you still “wait” but not in the physical queue. Which is how it is supposed to work!! You can also get FP still which does end up “overlapping” your waits but honestly it works like that for everyone else too - I could wait in line for Small World while waiting for my Peter Pan FP window. Besides that, if you are using the DAS for some lines but then not for others, you are just cheating and you should be shamed.

It’s kind of like using virtual queues for every ride, one at a time. Maybe Disney will do more of this in the future for everyone.

2 Likes

This individual was not legitimately using DAS though.

2 Likes

Anyone knows how DAS is working right now? Are they still issuing return times and using the FP line or are procedures different in the current state?

With the DAS, you get a return window that opens based on the length of standby. So, if you are trying for 7DMT and it is noon, and the standby wait is 30 minutes, your window will open up at 12:30 and I think you have one hour to redeem it. What this guy is doing is getting a DAS return (mainly for headliners) and the riding other rides and then coming back and redeeming his DAS. It is like a Fastpass and you are let in through the Fastpass line and ride the ride almost immediately.

2 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation! I haven’t read anything about DAS with covid procedures and wasn’t sure if something had changed.

I understand! I thought we were just discussing how DAS works in general. I didn’t know until recently!

2 Likes

Wat is DAS?

Disability Access Service. It gives an alternative to waiting in line for those who have non mobility conditions that make waiting in line difficult. You still have to wait, you just wait somewhere else. Kind of like a virtual queue.

A few years ago a CM told me about DAS when I related my issues and sadness about not be able to wait in long long lines anymore. I didn’t know DAS existed. We went to GS on the next visit and explained our conditions and they gave us DAS. It’s embarrassing to need assistance (get old too) but I’m SO grateful. We were going to give up on WDW and stop going altogether before that CM told me about this assistance.

5 Likes

I have used DAS with my son and have been so grateful for it. I was hesitant to ask for DAS, because my son’s diagnosis is not severe. It makes me so sad that people abuse the system. It was such a relief when we walked up to CM, DS was doing mild stimming, but CM didn’t ask for explanation, spoke directly to DS, snapped the photo and sent us on our way with DAS. The CMs at GS are so amazing at helping families with ASD, etc. I hate to think we could lose that relief because others are gaming the system.

6 Likes

I am in the exact same physical condition. Without the DAS, I also would have to give up going to the parks. I am so grateful for Disney’s help. It breaks my heart that people would abuse it… I am also so grateful to be able to use an electric scooter to get around the parks on. The transportation workers are so nice. It is embarassing to have to hold others up, as it is to have to ask for the DAS service. Most people using these services would much rather be in the physical condition to not have to ask for it. I hate when people think you are using the system. I hope Disney continues to make this service available, but be very strict about it.

3 Likes

Welcome @rjohnson.johnson490! A few years back we rented a scooter for MIL who was still in a weakened state from chemo and while it was embarrassing it was a godsend. And I agree, the transportation ppl are SO gracious and kind.