OBNurseNH's Secret Star Wars Viewing Thread

Years ago, we were priviledged to be able to get seats to a concert of selected pieces of John William’s work in various Star Wars movies. It was narrated by Anthony Edwards and had movie clips playing w/ the music. The kids were little and won’t remember, but we really enjoyed it.

6 Likes

That sounds great.

I’ve seen concerts advertised (pre-pandemic) where you watch the movie like in the cinema, but a live orchestra plays the score. My friend went to one. I was jealous. It’s quite expensive.

3 Likes

I’ve seen them advertised for Harry Potter too among others but yes, expensive!

2 Likes

Yes! They do look excellent.

This was slightly different as they pulled music from across the movies and then edited clips to accompany the music …and Anthony Edwards was there narrating.

(In addition to Star Wars, there are a couple other movie/concert combos I have kept my eye on including Harry Potter and Bugs Bunny!!)

3 Likes

duh wrong thread (why do I do this all the time lately??)

3 Likes

In 2011, I got tickets to see John Williams conduct the New York Philharmonic at Avery Fisher Hall. He was conducting the orchestra to clips from Harry Potter, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and others, including a tribute to Hollywood. I think some of the concert also focused on Audrey Hepburn.

5 Likes

Yes! They are called Star Wars live in concert. It was AWESOME! If you get a chance to attend one, do it! We took the girls to one last year a week before the pandemic shut everything down. It was The Empire Strikes Back live in concert. The year before they did A New Hope. None this year though.

10 Likes

I’ve had the chance, but it’s like £50 a ticket!!
I’ve been tempted by this and Harry Potter and even Back To The Future (one of my all time favourites), but I’ve never been able to justify spending £200 plus expenses on a movie :see_no_evil:

Maybe in post-pandemic travel-fund affluence…

3 Likes

Super proud that we had him here in Boston as our conductor from 1980-1993. He is a treasure.

6 Likes

The number of films he has scored is kinda amazing.

3 Likes

It’s so true. So much of our iconic movie history comes from them

6 Likes

I agree. This is one of my favorites too. Gives me goosebumps

2 Likes

Some things are just worth it. Next time don’t hesitate.

4 Likes

More John Williams stuff:

2 Likes

Wow! He’s right up there with John Williams in my opinion.

2 Likes

It is pricey, but so worth it in my opinion. I love the movies, but I was more engrossed watching the orchestra play. They put a lot of time into making that happen. Some of the violinists even had lightsaber like bows that lit up.

5 Likes

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

My opinion is that you should watch at least a primer of Clone Wars episodes, including the introduction of the Bad Batch characters in season 7. It’s a direct follow up to Clone Wars. However, I’m sure they will pepper in enough background that you wouldn’t be totally lost.

3 Likes

Hans Zimmer has an epic catalogue too, the greatest with Williams for me

(I know there are a lot of legends when it comes to classic movies, but I won’t pretend to know anything about it)

5 Likes

Your kids in their Star Wars gear! Too cute for words! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes