Oh no! Mousematt is whining again. Take cover!

I’m not offended at all!
Must professionals are taught person first language. Which is appropriate in certain circumstances - it’s nuanced. For instance, a person that has the diagnosis of diabetes. Now, the diabetes is something that has no impact on the personality make up or identity of that person. So person with diabetes is correct. The diabetes is an additional factor, not an intrinsic pay of who they are.
Autism IS a part of a person’s personality. It shapes the way they think, it IS part of who they are. They are not broken, they don’t need to be cured and they don’t want to be seen as having a disease. Actually autistic adults have campaigned for identity first language for a long time. The majority of them do not want to be cured of being autistic. They see themselves as thinking differently, not broken. They have a lot of opinions on this and other things that affect them. Like certain therapies and a certain charity that has lots of non autistic people on it, but not one actually autistic person.

I have a 22 year old AND a 6 year old that are autistic. My 22 year old is my guiding star on these matters. I always defer to actually autistic people when it comes to things like how to describe them, whether certain policies are abusive, etc. I just wish more people did.
Thank you for actually asking instead of just deciding in your head we were wrong. That’s how it should work! :heart:

12 Likes

Crikey! A lot of posts!

I’m grateful for all the good wishes. Thank you.

I’m feeling much better today, for no obvious reason. I often struggle with weekends — I’m not sure why as I always look forward to them and the break from work that they offer. Perhaps they too often end up being disappointing, or I feel to tired to take advantage of them. I take Wednesdays off, too, and those are much better.

I’ve given up on therapy. I’ve had a lot of it. I first went to see a therapist when I was at university, over thirty years ago. Since then I’ve had more therapists than I can remember or count. Almost entirely uniformly the experiences were at best neutral and ineffective and at worst counterproductive. One therapist fired me because she said I was too needy. Another therapist I fired because she said I was too aggressive and it made her feel uncomfortable.

When I lived in the US I had gold-plated health insurance that paid for me to see a therapist twice a week, every week for three years. What a colossal waste of time and money that was. He was one of those “listening” types. I just wittered on about my week, while he nodded sagely, and that was that. Occasionally he might try to get me to talk about my childhood, but I was having none of that, so I batted his enquiries away.

To be honest, I don’t think I believe in therapy. Not in my case. What happened to me as a young child was life-changing and irreversible and it broke me and I will never be fixed. Before any of you get traumatised by that, I should say that I’ve pretty much made my peace with it. I’m kinda proud that I’m as successfully functioning as I am, all things considered.

(Also, if you make me revisit my childhood abuse, which is apparently an essential part of the process, it just gives me grotesque, terrifying nightmares. So, no thanks.)

And I reject drugs of all forms. I’ve never so much as taken a single drag of a spliff. I mean, I’ll take a paracetamol without hesitation, and I live on antihistamines. But anything that messes with your head is pretty much out for me. I’m surprisingly puritanical even about alcohol. (I bought the premium plus drinks package for my upcoming cruises, but that’s because I want to drink well, not because I want to drink a lot.) Oh, I did once try to kill myself by inhaling deeply on a cigar, lol. I don’t recommend it. Unless you like coughing. (It was a long time ago. Stop worrying. I also threw myself down a flight of stairs. A long time ago. I hit the ceiling when I jumped and just ended up with a slightly bloody head. I’m really not very good at this stuff.)

No, the way I tend to navigate my depression is by moaning about it. Hence this thread. It seems to help to write it out and publish it somewhere. On occasion I’ve written a Facebook post. But no-one uses Facebook any more. And it’s easier to moan at strangers — I’m talking about you people — than people who actually know me. Then it’s kinda awkward.

At the same time, I also write threads like this from time to time because I think it’s a social good. People should be no more be ashamed of mental health problems than they are of having cancer.

All this being said, my “low mood” recently was not really anything to do with childhood trauma, and everything to do with the situation I currently find myself in. COVID sucks. I don’t know if you’ve noticed.

So far as my longer-standing issues are concerned, I will say this. Brace yourselves.

Childhood abuse imposes a lifetime of suffering on its victims. You never get over it and it messes you up a lot. So, you know, try to avoid abusing children if you can. I won’t define “childhood abuse” here, because the term covers a range of sins. But if you’ve got kids, try to be nice to them. And if you know kids, try not to be mean to them.

Separate from that, but related to it: one thing that also imposes a lifetime of suffering on its victims is bigotry. The homophobia I suffered — mostly as a child, but still today as an adult, and almost entirely passively inflicted — has caused me misery on a level I don’t suppose you can imagine unless you’ve been a victim of something similar, too. We really need to stop being mean to each other. Homophobia is still a thing. So is racism — how is that true? Why are people still racist? Did they not get the memo? Did they not read it? Are they just really, really stupid? It’s such a toxic stain on society.

Anyhoo, thanks again for the comments and support. Though, I hope you’ll forgive me if I post this meme that I saw on one of my social media feeds this morning.

I’m never looking to be fixed. In part because I don’t think I can be. But yelling into the void helps and, for some reason, it helps more if you know people can hear your screams.

19 Likes

Been there, done that, agree 100%.
🫂

5 Likes

FWIW I wasn’t thinking you needed to be fixed but rather thought you wanted to find a way to “escape from it.” I can see now rereading that that was a presumptuous interpretation of that sentence, but I don’t regret sharing my experience in case it helps someone else. :slight_smile:

And I agree sometimes I want comfort and sometimes I want solutions and not always at the same time or in the same conversation, so I get that. Scream into the void all you like, people are in the void here to listen. And I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better today. During lockdown here in the US I found weekends hardest too. Hang in there, hopefully the next covid lull is coming soon for you.

2 Likes

Ugh, me too! It’s like I can’t wait for the weekend and then I just mope around for two days. I’m glad you’re feeling better. I maintain that my best therapy is walking with my friend as we rant about all the sh*t going down in our lives! :joy:

6 Likes

You absolutely should not do so. Nor should any other contributor to this thread.

2 Likes

Yup to all of it. I’m willing to bet a fair number of survivors of childhood abuse say no to both the revisiting the abuse therapy and meds. I did find cognitive behavioral therapy helpful (paid out of pocket for a recommended good person, didn’t seek out another when she retired). We didn’t revisit things she helped me manage my reactions to others. Got some useful insights. Just read “what happened to you” a decent read into how trauma rewires the brain. I listened to it and the guy sounded like a decent human. Oprah didn’t add or subtract from it. He’s a neurologist/psychologist who has studied the effects of trauma on kids for 30 years. I appreciate your openness. Makes me feel less alone. I think it helps to know that others struggle too. Wish none of us had to. Sending peace.

2 Likes

I know you said you need listening right now but I used a semi-obscure therapy for trauma and it was life changing, so I’m gonna be that extrovert who can’t help herself.

Yeah, no. No wonder you hate therapy. Talk therapy is the wrong kind for sure. You need trauma-focused therapy, not judgy dudes w/ clipboards. Have you tried EMDR, or eye movement desensitization and reprocessing? The experience itself is not super fun, BUT it is super, super effective for CPTSD or PTSD or any kind of trauma. I did it for a specific event and now when I think about that event, my brain cannot actually access the associated pain/feelings. It’s INSANE but it WORKS. You do have to talk through the experience, but only because that’s how the therapy works. And then you literally do these movements with your eyes interspersed with the talking. Like I said, totally nuts but super effective. What is EMDR? – EMDR Institute – EYE MOVEMENT DESENSITIZATION AND REPROCESSING THERAPY

Also, my mom and her brothers suffered horrible abuse in their childhoods. Readily treatable mental health condition like depression/anxiety is basically a best case scenario, addiction and death the worst (has taken 2 and will soon take 2 more of her siblings, my uncle is only alive now because of a liver transplant, but he doesn’t have long, and my aunt… well, we keep waiting for the call from the police).

That you are not inflicting the pain you suffered on others is exceptional. That you are functioning is exceptional. That you tried to get help (for better or worse) is exceptional. Most people just repeat the cycle. Bravo to you for breaking it.

8 Likes

I appreciate that. Thank you.

Though I will say that I have inflicted intentional hurt on people who have tried to get close to me. I reject love and am highly suspicious of it. I don’t like people who are too nice to me. And I know that this has hurt people. And I’m sorry for that.

6 Likes

We all do hurtful sh*t… but not all of us have the self-awareness to understand the origins of the behavior (insecure attachment, trust) and own it (recognize, alter).

Crossing my fingers for you guys that travel is in your very, very near future. It is good for the soul and us dopamine/serotonin junkies. Mousematt will mouse again soon.

2 Likes

This particular piece of self-awareness was only recently acquired. It suddenly occurred to me. And I thought, “Oh. That’s bad, isn’t it.”

2 Likes

I remember a long time ago hearing a therapist on a talk show explaining how for some people therapy can bog them down inside their pain as they endlessly talk about it over and over again. And that for many people, what they need is a way to move forward. I was so intrigued by this. I have a good friend who suffers from mental illness (mild bipolar). Her therapist is awesome! She’s not actually actively seeing her right now because she doesn’t need it. She would tell me about her sessions and the therapist would actually talk to her about strategies to deal with her real life struggles - like how to respond to the boss that’s triggering a PTSD reaction or helping her set-up auto-pay for her bills to get past her inability to functionally deal with her mail (fear or past due bills) etc. That is the type of therapy I can really get behind. It’s like action oriented therapy. Also, @FOMOm_VA I have heard of the EMDR therapy for kids with trauma. I’m so happy it worked so well for you!

6 Likes

I did actually reach a point with one therapist when I thought to myself, “Oh, will you just shut up about it already. You’re even boring me now.”

6 Likes

SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK.
Seriously. Why is this such a hard concept.

14 Likes

I too take my cues from autistic adults in order to help my 15yo ds learn how to navigate the world. :slight_smile:
While ds “doesn’t care” what terminology I use, I try to err on the side of identity first language when I can based on the preferences of the greater community.

3 Likes

Trauma-focused therapy and EMDR-absolutely this!!! Our kids were all adopted through foster care, and the absolute lack of trauma focused therapy in our area led us down a very dark road with our oldest two, triggered mine and DH’s own histories, and we all have PTSD as a result. Talk therapy does NOT work with trauma.

3 Likes

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed answer. I will change my phrasing for the future!

2 Likes

This is interesting because you are very good at making online friends on this forum. People here like you. And you keep coming back so you must like us too :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m glad you’re feeling a little better now! I tend to be more depressed on the weekends, as well, but I think it’s because I have more time to think about things that bother me.

I’m also a victim of child abuse, and I have also found that talking to therapists (possibly not the right ones?) has just made me feel worse. I’ve also tried anti depressants, which have never worked well for me either. They make me feel like a zombie, and I don’t want to live life that way for me or my family.

I hope travel opens up and you’re able to come back to Disney World soon! Sometimes I think my childhood abuse has created the addiction I have to Disney World now. I feel like I can actually be the kid I really never got to be when I was younger. If it’s like that for you, I’m sure being apart from Disney has been even harder!

1 Like

I saw this today

How are you doing today @sanstitre_has_left_the_building ?

18 Likes