OBNurseNH's Secret Star Wars Viewing Thread

In Star Wars, only droids with a restraining bolt have no free will (and even then they likely still have a free mind but their actions are controlled - i.e., can’t escape). So while droids have certain programming, they can act as they wish within those parameters.

2 Likes

Have been thinking about getting my DD this pin as the snack eating grossed her out. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

1000% spot-on. It took me some to “get into” RO, and not until I understood fully what was happening. Not having that context into the what and why would have led me to turn it off instead of loving it the way I did.

4 Likes

Anyone who digs the Mandalorian music - this is a good Youtube compilation.

3 Likes

I’m sorry I did not know before what the proper response was to this. I’ll say it now:

This is the way.

6 Likes

Do droids have free will or are they slaves?

2 Likes

More stuff I didn’t know.

Restraining bolt? Is that what K removes off that one droid to set off the whole droids gone wild thing?

2 Likes

Haha that was super hilarious.

2 Likes

I have it! And the soup too. My DS was grossed out as well. He refuses to look at anything related to it!

1 Like

Dude it’s like you read my mind.

I was walking around humming the music last night! Good gravy if anything is going to spoil it it will be that - SW music is widely known, but Mando music?? I’d have some explaining to do!

But I meant to look for some Mandalorian music to work by this morning. Thank you for providing it for my afternoon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Someone told me to look at the Unicorn backpack. I got distracted.

10 Likes

You quite possibly have an obsession. :wink:

2 Likes

Cool - My pleasure! 90% of my music listening lately is soundtracks.
I’m even thinking of starting a blog and doing deep dives on movie music for fun. (Been trying to get my music education-minded son to join in, but 17yos have other priorities than blogging with their Dad.)

BTW, one episode of that Disney+ documentary series has a section on the Mandalorian composer. He apparently bought a giant set of recorders just to try things out and that turned into the main theme.

8 Likes

Um. Yeah. I…I don’t even carry a purse. Let alone a backpack. If it can’t fit in my pockets, I don’t need it. And yet. Here I am. With a backpack.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I think you’re thinking of L3 in Solo when they are getting the coaxium at the mine on Kessel, but yes, that is a restraining bolt. The other main time it comes up is when R2 and C3P0 are first captured by Jawas in Episode 4. Their restraining bolts come with them to Luke’s homestead until he removes them since “you’re too small to run away on me.” Which allows R2 to run away.

3 Likes

Maybe. I get my droids mixed up a lot.

Oh I remember that scene with Luke and R2

4 Likes

My family is the one that watches all the Star Wars, Marvel, & DC shows and disects them down to their smallest nuances. The 19yo can spout off vast histories of the most inconsequential characters in the MCU or DCU. I know things about all of these various universes simply from osmosis. Spiderman is a big favorite in our house.

Actual conversation in theater while watching random MCU movie (where I had skipped seeing the previous one)…

Me to 15yo seated next to me: “Who is that character? I don’t remember her.”
19yo seated on other side of 15yo: “MOM! How can you be part of our family and NOT KNOW WHO THAT IS???”

Honestly, I still don’t remember who I was asking about.

I have a slight Star Wars advantage because most of them have been around far longer than my kids have. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is my family too.

2 Likes

Apple Music has The Mandalorian Official Playlist by Disney btw. Seems quite extensive

3 Likes