OBNurseNH's Secret Star Wars Viewing Thread

Personally, I’d have thought the Force would’ve embraced Anakin’s final redemption and ghosted him at that age.

Maybe they thought the actors looked too dissimilar to pass for an older Hayden?

3 Likes

Lucasfilm has messed with this scene several times in subsequent releases. (I think I even remember seeing Lucas wearing a “Han Shot First” shirt on set of the prequels once.) For example, on the Disney+ version, Greedo now famously says, “Macklunkey!” as he dies. I’ll have to rewatch to see who shoots first. I think they compromised and made both shoot at the same time.

:scream: Blasphemy! This is my favorite alteration. I wouldn’t mind if Obi-Wan was Ewan McGregor, but I love Alec Guinness more than I care about Sebastian Shaw, who was in RotJ for like 12 seconds.

He was only the suited Vader, not the face.

2 Likes

Also wanted to add, the one thing I’d change about this alteration would be for Lucas to have told Hayden what they were filming. It was kept a secret so it would be a surprise even to him. As a result, he’s giving kind of a creepy smile. Lol But i adore Hayden so it gets a pass.

2 Likes

OK, OK
Maybe the Force allows the person to manifest as they see fit.
Of those three Jedi, only Anakin would take back his senior years and wanted Luke to see him as he was when he too had hope etc.

1 Like

Really? I find his acting horrid. Not just in the prequels. I just think he is a bad actor all around. His performance in the prequels was particularly bad…although I blame most of that on Lucas, who can’t seem to write decent dialogue whatsoever in the prequels.

5 Likes

That’s the only change I’ve noticed. Clearly I’m not very observant. I had no idea that the originals were mucked (magiked) with so much! Like @OBNurseNH, I was just a kid when they were first released in the theaters and didn’t really have much interest in them until I had kids and Ep’s 1-3 were released.

Well that would make sense but I think George Lucas was just enjoying himself too much at the expense of reasoning. I don’t think it had anything to do with what the actors looked like @GreyingMouser.

1 Like

There are about 5 lines of dialogue that I cringe at. But the rest makes up for it. And I do “blame” Lucas for that, but it doesn’t bother me too much. How could I do anything other than defend the man who gave me the opportunity for more happiness and imagination than any other, besides perhaps Walt Disney himself?

1 Like

Sadly, I think you’re right.
I think it was just a case of “oooh look at what I can do!” and nobody was going to challenge him on it.

1 Like

Ooof, I didn’t know Prowse wasn’t the face too. I hope my fangirl card isn’t revoked! :grimacing:

2 Likes

There is some truth to that, EXCEPT…when Lucas decided to change his own backstory in order to make telling the prequels easier.
In ROTJ, we learn from Leia that she remembers her mother, but barely, and mostly as being sad. Luke had no memory of his mother. This means that Leia had to have spent at least SOME time with Padme before she died.
But when Lucas made the prequels, the only one of the twins who actually got to see Padme, even for a moment, was Luke…and Leia never saw her at all before she died…not to mention she was then taken away entirely immediately. I see not justification in how he can change something so fundamental to the story without a care.

4 Likes

:thinking::thinking: I’m sure he was just the body of James Earl Jones

3 Likes

Aha!! :1st_place_medal::1st_place_medal::1st_place_medal: Thank you :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Okay, one brief moment of bragging here. I used to work the front desk of a Four Seasons Hotel. And one night, James Earl Jones and his wife came back and were walking through the lobby in front of me. I said (as we were always instructed to do), “Good evening.” And JEJ stopped. Turned to look at me. Smiled. And then Darth freaking Vader said to me, “Good evening.” One of the best memories I have.

16 Likes

OK I feel the need to remind some of you that you have a baby SW viewer here. I am so completely lost and almost all of this is so far over my head.

Can anyone tell me what the thingie is that Luke sold so they could get on MF with Han and Chewy that flies around in the desert? I am trying to update my vocab list at lunch.

Thx

2 Likes

W.O. W!!!

Epic!!!

2 Likes

His “speeder” or landspeeder.

4 Likes

Ok I was thinking hovercraft. Thanks for the correction

2 Likes

Yes, just the body, but apparently not the face. James Earl Jones’ voice is amazing. No one else could have filled that role as perfectly as he did.

5 Likes

That is amazing! I would have died!

2 Likes