:-O No taking back likes anymore?!

if i heart something from the past, I want you notified. Cause I want you to know I’ve gone back and read something and liked what you said. Sometimes, like in trip reports, it just gets skipped over cause things are fast and furious. Other times I’m just seeing it with different eyes.

Otherwise I’d let it fade into the mists of time.

From what I gather It’s based on consecutive hearts and posts made. So if you haven’t made a new post and people are still hearting your last post, you won’t get notified after the first few.

Then if you make a new post, it will notify you based on when the person hearted it.

Example:
PostA gets put up, and people start lovin’ it. After a few, the forum collects the notifications and just says “you’ve got hearts” if. If you don’t make another post, it keeps going into that “quiet grouping” and you no longer receive notifications.

But then you put up PostB and that starts getting hearts, so the process starts over with that, but someone goes and likes PostA after the PostB is up, which leads it to start doing the notifications again on that previous post. Only this time you’ll get a few and it’ll then go into the new collection of “25 hearts” and so on and so on

in short:

6 Likes

From my observations (and not sure if this relates to your confusion or not)…but if someone likes a post of mine, and then two more like the same post, I’m ONLY informed of the first person liking it UNTIL I acknowledge/clear the notifications. THEN, the next person who likes a post I’ll get notified about.

2 Likes

BIG “if” :laughing:

You’re right but it’s not always quite exactly like that, either.

4 Likes

Well, yes. Or what’s the point of the heart then.

But if it’s an accidental heart or one you think better of later. Well then you’re stuck

1 Like

the “damage” is already done by that point. Someone saw and was notified that you liked their stuff and it’s too late. They also likely received their badge too for their super-awesome-post-that-you-secretly-hate-but-only-realize-eight-months-later.

I think the real interesting thing here is someone, somewhere (not on this forum), was having an issue where loads of hearts were being given then taken away long after the fact. So much so that they beseeched the devs to install this safe guard for their precious hearts! So that they may use them as digital currency and nary a con artist can take back what they hath given!

…this booster shot is funking amazing… :face_with_thermometer:

2 Likes

OMG actually I think you’re right whether you meant to be or not.

I was trying to figure out the code for this and things like profile views and such at one point and I read some forums about this platform and that was exactly some of the argument.

People were basing their status/likeability/expertise/otherstupidthings on things like profile views and hearts.

So I bet you’re 100% correct.

Please report this unexpected booster side effect to VAERS at https://vaers.hhs.gov/

4 Likes

Haven’t you guys heard of a bandwagon heart?

1 Like

… no?

1 Like

Yup it happens on a lot of internet forums. If there’s a “ranking” people will instinctively listen to this person or that person, and if there’s a low enough ranking, people will be ignored, regardless how salient their post is.

On this forum, I’m very glad there’s not a “derogatory” system or ranking status (even if some people likely deserve it). Cause it would be here too. Even your title “voice of reason in a sea of noise” could be a cause for someone to feel it’s “unfair! I’m just as important as this other member! Listen to MEEEEE!!!” or look at those with titles as pompous kissups to the site owners. Mods face this issue too :slight_smile:

I…don’t think “shakesperian vocabulary” counts as a viable side effect. :stuck_out_tongue:

of course. how do you think @OBNurseNH got so many hearts on her opening post in her trip thread? :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

:joy:

It seems to be a thing. You know, where people heart a post just because everyone else is…

4 Likes

6 Likes

heheh mmmm less calming affirmation and more…

(two scrubs references in one day. Nice.)

2 Likes

I struggle with that…

1 Like

Absolutely you do :joy:

1 Like

Can’t spread too much love

Wait, I thought we were supposed to revive relevant threads instead of creating new ones. One of the things that distinguishes chat from the forum?

But then how old is too old? And are some threads everlasting,

but other’s turn into zombies?

chosen because I know Ms. Barb won’t be confused or offended if I call one of her threads a Zombie

Someone tell me the rules! I just recently learned that one should not :heart: @ryan1 posts unless you are okay with unrequited :heart:. :rofl:

3 Likes

Please don’t cause a snack debate in the context of zombie threads

I don’t know where to draw the line. It depends on whether you’re talking about things that don’t change much (ie the room layout of a hotel room or it’s overarching theme) vs park ops like what time to arrive for rope drop

2 Likes

Makes total sense. I only recently realized there some threads that keep coming back. They may be what I enjoy the most about the forum.

3 Likes

I just hate when I respond to a thread only to realize later it’s from like 1963 or something

:laughing:

I sort by “Latest” and not by category so if someone bumps an old one I’m definitely going to land in it.

I’m getting better at checking

6 Likes

OK am I the only one that saw this and heard this guy…

4 Likes