Not our first rodeo - another WDW trip during COVID

Who: DH and Me
When: July 16-20
Where: Pop Century
Background: We were fortunate enough to attend the AP preview for MK on July 10th (see previous trip report) so we somewhat knew what to expect at least when it came to flights, wearing masks in the heat…etc. We both work from home so we can easily self-quarantine and are doing so now that we are back. We don’t have any other family who lives with us and no kids to worry about. So, while we were concerned with the numbers coming from Florida, we felt comfortable continuing with our trip and taking as many precautions as possible.
When we came for the AP Preview, we stayed off-site and rented a car (which we never do!) so this trip was going to be on-site and using DME.

Day 1 – Thursday, July 16th

We once again flew Southwest and this time around, I would say mask compliance at our home airport (Columbus) was far better than when we flew in for the preview. One difference may have been that several counties in Ohio had adopted mandatory mask requirements so there may have been a little more awareness. Also, I noted the gate agents made a lot more announcements about masks, including wearing them properly, and while onboard, they reiterated that masks needed to remain on during the flight. De-planing was also better, more reminders to socially distant but in close quarters, it is a challenge. We tried to sit up front to try to avoid the bunching up of people upon arrival. But that meant more people walking by us since we boarded in A19. MCO was pretty empty (arrived around 10 am)

Waiting for the airport shuttle…eerily empty. We headed to baggage claim to get our luggage (I miss not having the luggage service) but it was super fast then headed to DME. Seriously, the picture on the right is on the way to DME.
image image

DME was decked out with plenty of plexiglass, socially distance markers, and hand sanitizer. Luckily, we were the second in line to check-in and were quickly on our way to wait in line for the shuttle.

We were in line by 10:15, boarded the bus that was waiting, and were on our way by 10:35. There were 4 stops (Pop, Riviera, AKL and YC/BC) and there was no free for all to board the bus, you were assigned a spot to sit and the bus was loaded back to front to minimize walking past other riders. Seating was staggered so there was no one directly in front of you, behind you or across from you. The also reminded you that masks needed to be kept on for the entire ride.

I did find it odd that when we arrived at the hotel, we still had to exit at the front so we had to walk by everyone else. I thought it would have made more sense to have us exit from the back. One really cool thing that happened as we exited the bus is the cast members at the hotel greeted us with clapping and welcoming us back. It was a really sweet touch.

Pop was pretty dead yet, our room wasn’t ready yet. I was really hoping it would have been but we checked our bags at bell services and headed to the Skyliner and EPCOT. I don’t think I have ever seen the lobby so empty!image
We did notice that the entrance to Everything Pop (gift shop and food court) had a CM standing guard and a sign to mobile order. If you wanted to just look around the shop you could but they did appear to be keeping track of how many were in the store. If you wanted to get food, you had to mobile order first, and then once your food was ready, you showed the confirmation to the CM and they directed you to the food pick up area. They also had one-way flow throughout so you were never passing people going the opposite direction.

image We took the Skyliner and arrived at IG around 11:30. Good social distancing markers at all of the Skyliner stations. And not a lot of people around at all. We got a Skyliner to ourselves, one advantage of being a party of 2! As we were getting into the gondola, the CM said to keep our masks on during the ride. We did but I have to think that an awful lot of people don’t!

Temperature check was a breeze as was bag check. We didn’t have to empty pockets or bags or put anything in the bins, kept our park bags on, and walked through. I was live-streaming so I had my phone in the gimble and didn’t even have to set that down (I wasn’t recording while going through security), I just held it out and went through. Such an improvement from pre-COVID!image
Our plan was to head to Canada to get some food but, of course, got totally sidetracked and ended up going in a few stores (I checked out the Flower & Garden Merch).
We passed the World ShowPlace and decided to head in to check it out. We didn’t need it today but there were signs for a virtual queue and of course you could scan a QR code to see the menus.

Huge space with only 4 “booths” but lots of spaced out seating (some tables with chairs but also high tops as well).

The ordering area had the CMs behind plexiglass. The other thing that surprised me is that if you used a magic band to pay, you still had to use the keypad to enter the PIN. Yet, if you used a debit card, you didn’t have to do a pin or sign anything.

We opted to try the Mac & Cheese. I got the Lobster Mac & Cheese while DH got the Gourmet Mac & Cheese. I will say that we got our money’s worth! These were huge portions and the amount of lobster in mine was tremendous – lots of really large chunks. For $6.50, it was a steal! I wasn’t wowed by it overall but you can’t beat the value.

Now that we had some sustenance, we headed to Future World.
At least the construction walls are colorful!

First, we headed to Journey Into Imagination. What appeared to be a walk on actually ended up being about a 10 min wait. I think they started cleaning vehicles during this time (although it wasn’t visible) but there really was no reason for the wait time to jump. I really wish they would give this ride some love. I remember the ride in its original form and what we have today is just kind of a sad shell of the greatness that it was. Obviously, all of the interactive areas at the ride exit were closed. This just led to an overall kind of depressed feeling. I noticed this on many of the rides. Even though we rarely partake in the interactive elements, to not have the noise, the people…it really did lose something.

Next, we headed to The Land and hit Soarin, Awesome Planet, and Living with the Land. image
Awesome Planet was starting in 3 minutes when we walked by so we did that first. Socially distant dots told you where to stand as you waited.
In the theater, rows were blocked off and in the open rows, seats were blocked off. If you are a larger family (more than 4, you have to set in two separate groups.
This was our “full” theater! image
Soarin had dropped to a posted wait of 30 minutes so we decided to head there. In reality, we waited for about 20 min. We got B1 without even asking (they were using all three theaters)
There were only two groups per row, again, up to 4 people per group. Plexiglass in the queue
image image
The scents were on in Soarin – I love this ride. I have been listening to a lot of Disney BGM loops while I have been working from home and the score to Soarin is one of my favorites.
They do have plexiglass dividers in the rows – they have attached plexiglass to a booster seat and buckled the seat onto the ride seat belt. Pretty clever.

Living with the Land was a walk on. They spaced out parties in the boats so there was one in the front row and one in the back row. image
Very cute Welcome Back signimage
We noticed some new Mickey-shaped plantings!
image image
DH was hungry after this, so we ate at Sunshine Seasons. Normally, this is a win for the variety – I can get Chinese food, DH can get Pizza and they always have great desserts. Well, in the COVID era, this was very different. You again had to mobile order and honestly, I found the traffic pattern and routing here very confusing. We mobile ordered and the menu was way way scaled back. With the lower capacity, I understand this but one consistent thing we noted in all parks was the lack of desserts and cupcakes. Say what you will about the cupcake fad, I actually look forward to all of them at Disney.

We opted to skip the Seas. This is normally a favorite, especially the tanks but with it being inside and lots of the exhibits requiring you to get close up, we opted to skip it and head to Spaceship Earth. image
They still had the interactive part in the ride vehicle where you pick your future (kind of surprising) but you don’t get the option to send your postcard so we just took a video of it as it played in the vehicle. With masks on, it was downright funny to see our faces – basically just eyes.
We headed to MouseGear to check out the offerings and came across one of the few remaining topiaries from Flower and Garden.
Disney Marketing, you have my number
image image
I LOVE Food & Wine/Flower & Garden but honestly, not really feeling it this time. Maybe it is because it is July and 106 heat index, maybe it was the lack of new merch, maybe the lack of food booths…but, I’m just not loving it. Better for the waistline at least!image
We headed to world showcase and finally got to Canada and had our favorite filet. We normally do the cheddar cheese soup too but in the heat, it just didn’t sound appealing. image
The Disney Ducks were out in full force! This guy even went and sat on a social distancing dot, which I thought was hystericalimage
Also, at a normal EPCOT festival, I eat A LOT. But I had little appetite and even around world showcase, with a lot of the shops closed, there just wasn’t the same vibe. It was close to 4:30 now and as much as I wanted to catch some of the character cavalcades, we were just spent and decided to head back to the hotel.

We had gotten our Room Ready text and were in the 70’s building. We have never stayed in that section and given that was the decade we were born, I was looking forward to exploring it. I know some don’t like the in your face, large figures around but I love them.
image image
Love the views of Hour Glass Lake and the Skyliner Station. image
When we entered the room, my heart was happy. We saw the remote individually wrapped, same with the bathroom shower dispensers and the enhanced cleaning postcard. This is one thing that was missing from our offsite stay last week (we stayed at a Marriott).
Also seeing the classic Disney channel with the music….so so happy. image
We headed down to the food court to grab dinner. Again, I know the values get a bad wrap for food but honestly, I really love the pot roast at Pop Century. image
We mobile ordered and waited for it to be ready. Once we got our confirmation, it also tells you which mobile order station to go to – all of the normal ordering stations are roped off and orders are put in bags on a table. Then you go to a separate area to get drinks. We walked off without getting our drinks since this was the first time we were using this new system. Luckily, I remembered before we got the room and headed back to find the area for drink pick up. The good was put in boxes and I didn’t think it impacted the overall taste at all. DH usually gets the artisan pizza but those weren’t available, so he stuck with the regular pizza. And, again, not a great dessert selection, no tie-dye cheesecake :frowning: image

It was still pretty early, maybe 6:30 but we had been up since early and the heat really wiped us out, so we unpacked and just relaxed.

Closing thoughts of the day:
• Normally, I love EPCOT and the festivals. To me, there was a noticeable lack of energy in the park and that made me sad
• It was hot. Really hot.
• I found that while wearing masks all day didn’t really bother me, I did drink a lot less water.
• Compared to MK on the preview day, there was not nearly as much visible cleaning that we saw. That doesn’t mean they weren’t doing it, just that we didn’t see it. No cleaning of ride vehicles, no wiping down things.
• We generally stay at Pop and find It a great choice for us. There are only two of us so the smaller room size isn’t a big deal. We like the basic but good food options and the Skyliner is a game-changer. BUT….now with the parks closing early, I think it may be worth exploring other options. Being at a resort that has some other options for food, like an actual table service restaurant or even just having other spaces to relax is very appealing. Being Rope Drop to Park Close people has a whole new meaning with the shorter park hours!

Next is Hollywood Studios and our attempt at a Boarding Group and riding MMRR for the first time. Tune in tomorrow to see how the day played out

42 Likes

Watching closely as we consider our trip next week, thanks for the detailed report!

Thank you for sharing another report! Looking forward to reading more.

1 Like

Thank up you for your report! I think I will actually read it 3-4 times- thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Such great details! Love the shirt

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the honest and detailed report. Although the idea of low crowds sounds great, we are also wondering if the “feel” of being at nearly empty Disney parks would kind of be depressing!

4 Likes

We are hoping to find these shirts when we’re down there. I’m not sure what their supply is for them.

Where did you find them? Was this in MouseGears?

1 Like

I will say, EPCOT is the only park where I felt like this. I don’t know if it is because of our timing and missing the cavalcades or if it is just that particular park is in rough shape with all the construction walls. The magic isn’t gone from the other parks (at least not for me!)

4 Likes

This picture was in MouseGears but they are everywhere. Pop had them, Emporium at MK, I think AK had them too, I can’t remember HS. But they do go quickly so if you see them in your size buy it right then and there or you may not find it later

3 Likes

What a great report, thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Day 2- Friday July 17
Today is Hollywood Studios day! We are fortunate that we have ridden RotR many times but DH is a HUGE Star Wars fan so HS is always all about SWGE.
With a 10 am park opening, it was so nice to not get up at the crack of dawn to make it to the park to try for a boarding group. We figured if we got to the Skyliner at 9, that would be plenty of time to make it to the park by 10.
Imagine our surprise when we got the Skyliner and saw a loooong line. Apparently, everyone else had the same idea.
We got to the Skyliner a little before 9 and it took about 25 min to move through the line and onto the Skyliner.
Social distancing was a bit of a struggle and we found this to be the case throughout the trip. If there were markers, people were generally pretty good but in absence of any markers, people tended to crowd. They really needed additional cast members reminding people to spread apart.
I have an obsession with the Skyliner – I just love seeing it!
This is where all the people are (yikes). I admit that upon seeing all the people, I did have some reservations about this park. I knew it was going to be the busiest and for the first time I really questioned if we should be doing this. DH wasn’t nearly as concerned so we soldiered on.
The line for temp check and security went pretty quick and thinned out as you approached the park entrance
There was almost no line at Starbucks so we popped in there then headed to the corner of Sunset Blvd, grabbed a bench and got ready for the 10:00
There weren’t many people in this area, I think most went straight to other rides. I really wanted to do this strategy but DH wanted to go to SWGE once we got the BG so that is what we did.
We got BG 4! I was so happy and relieved. We got a return time of 25 minutes so we headed to SWGE
DH is such a huge Star Wars fan and he could literally spend all day in SWGE. I am a casual fan so a little less interest in spending all day there! It was pretty dead despite being right after park open. We took so many pictures because it was surreal to have the land so empty.
DH got some Blue Milk (I think he got a total of 8 throughout the day) and within no time, we got the notification that our boarding group was called so we headed to RotR
The line moved pretty quick and we never stopped walking until we got to the briefing room. They assign you to social distancing dots on the ground. What we found is that dot # 4 and 6 are the two best. 6 gets you right at the back window of the transport which is awesome for taking pictures or video. 4 gets you closer to the front and center.
We made it through the briefing and the transport. I love the storm trooper room. Every time we see it, we are still in awe of the space.
The other advantage of being on #6 is you are the last in the storm trooper room so it was a great way to take pictures without feeling rushed.
Now the line stalled a little as we waited to go into the interrogation room. They did have plexiglass dividers and social distance markers.We made it into to the interrogation room and but no General Hux. Then the music stopped and we knew what that meant. Soon the doors opened back up and we got the ride is down message.
Thankful that we were in the AC. We waited. And waited. And waited. Then we decided it was going to be a while so we sat down. We waited about an hour, maybe more (I was timing our wait and when we finally got on the escape vehicle it was a total of 90 minutes). I was so glad not only for the AC but we were in the section where it was really easy to socially distance from the other groups. I think if we had been in the prior area of the queue, I wouldn’t have stayed.
The ride finally came back up and we made it through the whole ride! When it works, it really is an amazing experience. It really is ridiculous that the ride is still as unstable as it is.

More exploring of Batuu
We didn’t have a reservation at Oga’s but stopped to see if they were taking walk-ins and they are not.
Next we headed to Smuggler’s Run. The posted wait time was 25 min but the actual wait time was about 15 min.
More Plexiglass!
More social distancing markers
There was no Hondo, you just keep walking through that room.
No chess table pictures, you had to stand in your assigned spot
Instead of being handed cards for the different positions, each party has their own ride vehicle. Since it was just Dh and I, we both got to be pilots. Everything else is set to auto. You can still pick any position you want (we rode twice and the second time DH was pilot and I was gunner).
We headed over to Docking Bay 7 for lunch. Once again you have to mobile order. There were people gathered outside waiting for their order, but I didn’t notice any huge crowds.

I love the vegetarian offer here – Felucian Kefta and Hummus Garden Spread
DH prefers the Endorian Fired Chicken Tip Yip. And of course dessert. They only had one option which is the Batuu-bon (really good)
After the nice break in the AC, we headed to Dok Ondors – loving this place (and all of the shops) with so few people. No more bumping into each other and feeling packed in like sardines.
Time for more Blue Milk
Chewie!! Even though it was at a distance, he noticed by Chewie Ears and we had a really cute interaction.
Empty area – so surreal.
The marketplace was one way traffic and you have to wait to be let into the market area. Then if you want to go into a shop, you have to wait until no one else is there.
The popcorn stand wasn’t open – I love that popcorn.
We decided to head to Toy Story Land because I had been watching wait times and they were dropping.
Hand sanitizer is everywhere (which is great) but after a while, my hands get so sticky with a film on them so I love these stand alone hand washing stations. Real water and real soap. image
A2S had a 5 minute wait so we did it. I would never wait for this ride but it was fun to ride image
I love the vibrant colors of Toy Story Land!
Next up Slinky Dog!! Another great ride. The posted time was 30 min and it was pretty close to that, maybe a little less.
More plexiglass :slight_smile:
TSMM is next, it was a walk on.
I love this ride so much. I did have a few moments though 1) you have to get your own 3D glasses and 2) I meant to have a Purell wipe ready so I could wipe down the joy stick. This is a ride where mentally, I would have liked to seen more in the way of disinfecting. But it was still a great ride (and I beat DH!).
We got in line for our picture at the beginning of TSL and the family ahead of us (ironically the same family who was on our flight and staying at the same hotel) did not have their masks on properly. They were hanging below their nose and mouths. The Photo Pass photographer told them that she couldn’t take their picture unless they wore the masks properly. It was nice to see them enforcing the rules.
We then worked our way over to Star Tours.
As we walked over to check the line situation for MMRR, we caught the Pixar Cavalcade – so fun and cute.
Then it was time for a snack break.
The wait for MMRR was posted at 1 hour but I didn’t think it would go do much more than that so we decided to get in line.

Guess what we saw…more Plexiglass!
The actual wait was closer to 30 min and it was a fun ride. This was the first time riding it – it was cute, puts a spring in your step. I love all of the special effects and the best part is the dance studio!

After this we headed back to SWGE for more blue milk and our second ride on MFSR.
We had our photo taken at one of the photo pass locations in SWGE and the photographer saw DH’s Yoda mask and told us about a magic shot that they had just started that day.

Over by the droid depot there is a photographer over by some rocks, a very odd location for a photo pass photographer and this is what we got:
We headed back to the stores and caught the Disney Jr Cavalcade. But missed the one with Mickey and Minnie
We had a reservation at 6:50 for 50’s Prime Time. It was around 5:30 now so I tried to modify the reservation time to see if we could get any earlier. I couldn’t modify it or cancel it, a message appeared that said I had to call.
So we headed over and asked at the check in to see if we could get an earlier time. We couldn’t so we decided to sit on a bench and enjoy the park music.
We checked in on the app and our table was ready almost immediately. This is a cute place. I think I have eaten here before, a very long time ago. I got the meat loaf and DH got the fried chicken and a milkshake.
It was close to 8 (park close) so we decided to head out.
We wanted to take the Skyliner back to the hotel but there had been lightning in the area so they have to wait at least 30 min from the last sighting. They said it could be up to another hour but they had recovery buses running so we opted for that. The bus was there and whisked us away. First time on a bus other than DME and this was similar in that the bus driver instructed you which number to sit on. He was saying that the max number of passengers they can take is 25.
We enjoyed the quick trip back to the hotel and our “to go” desserts from 50’s PrimeTime.
Observations from Today:

• The crowds at HS were no joke

• Getting a Boarding Group is still super stressful but an amazing feeling of accomplishment when you are successful

• Mask enforcement was happening

• Not seeing a visible amount of cleaning/disinfecting rides was a little surprising

• More needs to be done to preserve social distancing in ride queues when the ride goes down (I’m talking about you RotR). If we had been anywhere else in the indoor queue, I wouldn’t have felt comfortable staying

• The cavalcades are awesome, short but fun and spontaneous. Not having a schedule does make it easier to miss them, especially if you are in other parts of the park but still really love them

• I wasn’t sure how comfortable I would be eating indoors but it was actually fine. Maybe if it hadn’t been so hot and eating outside was more appealing I would have a different feeling but at such a lower capacity and not sitting close to others it was within my comfort zone.

Next up is Animal Kingdom and an early morning since park open is 8 am (at least that was the plan!)

24 Likes

Love your Ears! Thanks for sharing all the pics and your experience

I love the kefta and hummus! That’s my go-to. DD17 loves the noodles and shrimp - whatever that’s called. The first time we walked into SWGE (at DLR) was a crowd level 1 day. It really felt like an alien planet because there were so few people. It’s a really good memory for us.

Question about Pop. Is the shop that sells grab and go items open?

taking notes, can’t wait to hear more!

The only way to order any type of food (including grab and go) is through mobile order. This got to be super annoying because we would have to mobile order just to get bottles of water or soda. They really need to either sell bottled water or prepackaged grab and go items in the gift shop or have an express mobile order for those types of items.

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings about ROTR. I have successfully ridden it three times — and it is awesome — but I’ve also been evacced off it three times. This is not only super disappointing but it adds an extra layer of stress to the whole experience. And it can break down at any time — one time we were on the trackless vehicles and they just stopped. We were stuck in them for twenty minutes and then walked off. This might have been awesome if we were in a cool section of the ride, but we were at the boring bit at the beginning.

Did I miss it or did you skip RnRC and ToT? I’m surprised with the time before and after dinner that you didn’t try unless you don’t like thrill rides?

1 Like

Ridden it 7 and evacuated (or stuck) 6 times. It also really takes you out of the whole immersion or the ride depending on where you get stuck. DH has ridden 10 times and I think he has issues on the additional three times that I didn’t ride. On this trip, if we had gotten stuck at any other point (including outside in the heat) I would have been done. DH likely would have stayed but no way I would have.

You are right, we did skip it. I can’t do RnRC and DH didn’t want to walk over to ride it. I love ToT but (and this is going to sound awful) I was so drained from the heat that I didn’t have it in me to walk all the way over there :laughing: And we had another HS day so my plan was to hit it then

2 Likes

Thanks! They are some of my favorite ones!

1 Like