Not Click Bait: Do you *really* want to come to FL right now?

I agree. And we all must set the tone.

7 Likes

I just watched Rix Flix (popular Universal vlogger + some Disney) because he released his “Should you go to Orlando?” video while I was typing my “essay”. I liked his response about travel in general and opinion about if you should cancel Disney or Universal. He has opinions on each… (I’m still not 100% about going, but he makes good points)

He shows / talks about things going on at Universal for a bit. Jump to 5:50 if you just want his “final answer” (I do recommend watching all of it though)

6 Likes

Struggling with this decision also. More bad news from FL every day. Vacation booked for Aug 8-15. Extension on AP’s and plenty of travel funds from SW. So hotel bill and food are the only expenses. DD missed most of her Senior year, no prom, lame virtual/drive-in graduation. This trip was going to be her consolation, but I am scared. Both kids will be leaving for college as soon as we return. What if they get sick? (Although chances are probably greater of that happening on their campuses this fall than in the WDW bubble). Also, as someone else mentioned, we don’t want to be part of the problem. We get very frustrated with people not following the CDC guidelines and don’t want to be hypocrites. However, with their different college break schedules and upcoming internships, this will likely be our last trip to WDW as a family for quite some time… :cry:

1 Like

I’ll be there in September. Mask on. Keeping my distance and washing my hands regularly. So not concerned. Besides, I have to quarantine anyways when I return home :crazy_face: (I work from home, not a big deal)

This is certainly my thinking. Disney is the safest place in Florida in my opinion. I still have 8 weeks to decide. C’mon Floricovidiots… get it together for the sake of me and my trip (and of course all those getting infected)

3 Likes

Really? You’re making me a little nervous now. And @Julianne_fki and @Nikkipoooo have put the fear of God into me!

As I’ve posted elsewhere, I’ve just booked a two-night stay on-property at a UK theme park. Though I have thought about the risks, I mitigated them with —

1. I’m driving and not taking public transport or travelling through a busy transport hub
  2. The park is in the extensive and very open grounds of a stately home. So much of the time social distancing will be very easy.
  3. The park is run by an international group that says it has already gathered corporate experience of dealing with an open theme park during COVID.
  4. The park is saying that it will start with very low numbers of guests.

For me, there is a difference between visiting an organised environment, and the kind of uncontrolled beach craziness that we’ve seen in some UK hotspots this week.

I did, however, make sure my package was fully refundable at my option …

1 Like

Like I said, I’m going to an amusement park in OH. They aren’t having a crazy spike like FL, and neither is the UK so it’s a little different than flying to WDW/Orlando.

Without having worries over flying or major travel I think some of the issues get less important because if things go super sideways before the day then you can just cancel, and there no worry over extra quarantine. If we get there and it’s just crazy and nobody is using best practices then we can leave because we have less invested.

2 Likes

Husband and I are in our 20s, in SoCal. My BILs were tested for Covid this week. They both live in Philadelphia are being pretty careful. Younger BIL actually had symptoms, though they both ended up testing negative. Younger BIL has a heart condition and lives with my in-laws, and my FIL has Parkinsons. So it was a super scary week.

I have plans to go with a friend to Disneyland in September, a trip postponed since March. However, I have asthma and I am deeply concerned about catching it. I would not currently go to Disneyland, but I’m hopeful for progress by September. I agree that disney’s rules are some of the best around. It’s just…can they enforce it with some idiots running around?

3 Likes

If you watch the first part of the Universal vid I posted, he talks about how TMs will call security to remove you if you don’t comply. For all me ranting, I’m less worried about my time in the park as getting there and staying at a “Good Neighbor” hotel not run by Disney

1 Like

I am not worried about it unless it gets way worse than it is now…and even then, I think Disney and Universal are doing so much, I think it will be safer there than elsewhere in FL.

The biggest issue is on our return home. We plan to quarantine ourselves when we get home to protect my parents, but now we have family coming in from Texas and Chicago to visit. This makes me more nervous for my parents.

Right now, I am most worried about the fact we just attended my Brother-in-law’s funeral where way more people showed up than we expected and hugging quickly became impossible to avoid. I fear if someone had it there, we are doomed. So we are staying away from my parents until Tuesday, when we plan to get a rapid COVID-19 test. (Waiting until Tuesday to allow for incubation time.)

As far as the rise in Florida…it may continue to rise, but in some ways it needed to happen. People need to be a little scared to start taking the mask wearing more seriously. I am curious to see hospitalizations in the next few days. I suspect the numbers are rising fast because it is happening in populations who have fewer symptoms or are asymptomatic.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear of your family’s loss :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks. It was completely unexpected. Happened two days ago. This was not the BIL who has a heart attack two months ago, who is recovering well enough.

1 Like

Oh my :frowning: That’s awful. :frowning:

Definitely. But…can anyone that goes and ends up sick not duck out on the trip report? I think information about the experience would be super important for those going later in the year.

16 Likes

I promise to trip report even if we end up with COVID-19. I agree, it is important to know if, even with all the precautions, someone still gets it.

I should point out that we are not planning to use Disney buses while there in August. Skyliner, yes. Feel safe about that. Buses not as much, although the procedures seem adequate. We have a van, though, so we will use it for MK and AK.

8 Likes

So one year, December 2006, our extended family stayed in 3 rooms at Beach Club. In January two family members started feeling unwell, one in Missouri and one in Louisiana. I don’t know what the illness was - we all figured some kind of flu. Full recovery was slow - it would be the middle of March before the family members felt back to normal. The family members weren’t sick enough to be hospitalized tho the extended recovery was . . . extended.

@darkmite2, here’s an interesting comparison, from perhaps a fairly reliable source:
COVID-19 vs. the Flu | Johns Hopkins Medicine

So sorry about your brother in law!
Skyliner and car is our plan as well. My biggest concern exposure-wise is flying there and back which is our usual. I know you drive further than we would but I have a hard time looking at a 15 hour drive. Do you drive all night, over two days or one long day? We plan to rent a car from the airport. I do expect to really stay in the Disney bubble once we arrive and I feel like it would be fairly safe - between our car, the parks and the resort. And Skyliner. Maybe grab a Walmart pickup order for water and snacks. I have Sunday planned as our resort day and just realized today that no, in fact we would not be going to mass as we usually do on vacation. My other big tipping point is if Florida would shut down restaurants. I’ve eaten in Pop food court before and it’s ok for a meal or two but I would not be happy having to eat there every day. If no TS are open and other resorts are off limits that really limits food options outside the parks. I’m probably extrapolating a bit here, hopefully restaurants will be able to operate at reduced capacity if they do in fact open WDW.

Generally, we drive from Michigan to Chattanooga on first day, then rest of the way the second day.

This trip, due to a logistical oddity, we are actually leaving later on day one, so only driving to top of Kentucky day one, then to Cordelle, GA on day two. This way we arrive to Orlando around lunchtime. But we are still doing two days for the trip back.

I do all of the driving myself, so breaking it up makes it far more tolerable. We once did a trip down to Texas where we drove 17 hours in one fell swoop. Never again!

I appreciate it.

1 Like

No. Maybe in 2022

1 Like

I’m really going nowhere unless it’s essential. But my circumstances are not yours and you have to do what you feel is right for you.

1 Like