Not Click Bait: Do you *really* want to come to FL right now?

It should be possible to compare infection rates between people who went to UOR and the general population. If people who went to UOR were x% more likely to have covid one week later, it is not theoretically impossible to figure out (yes, there is selection bias, but even running a real randomized trial would not that hard). But with so many cases in Florida, we will never really know.

1 Like

Should be, but probably won’t be. A certain set of people ignore the rules whenever they can. At the height of the crisis in Detroit I had a lady in line behind me to get into the grocery store… as she was walking up with her 2 little boys, one of them pointed out the markers on the ground and said “That’s so we know where to stand,” and she agreed with him. Then she proceeded to stand directly in the middle between their marker and mine, and ignore the kids as they ran back forth, touching me, her, and the railings around us. She gave me a nasty look when I reminded them that everyone needs to stay on their dot.

Then when the younger one didn’t want to wear his mask she said “See? This is why I told you to stay home with Daddy!” This was during our full shut-down order, when people were not even supposed to be taking their kids to the store unless there was no other option. The tiny little old guy behind her started scolding her, because if she’s taking 2 kids in with her then that meant he’d have to wait outside in the snow until 2 more people came out. She got all huffy with him and started going on about government overreach.

4 Likes

It’s possible to see if there’s a correlation, but without being able to track people’s whereabouts within the park and show exposure at the park then it’s just a correlation with no definitive casual relationship.

1 Like

Same in the UK.

Infuriating!!

I’ve had many similar experiences. The first was two 20ish age people in line behind me at a Target. When I swore (kinda under my breath) and put my cart between me and them, the girl gave me an eyeroll. The desire to slap her was vrey strong.

The guy behind them was at least 15 feet behind them. He also knew they were idiots.

5 Likes

I’m really struggling with the justifications for major travel to Orlando (long drives or flights) in order to visit the parks. Which makes me a bit of a hypocrite since we flew to Orlando in mid-June to go to UOR. In my (possibly indefensible) defense, both the Florida and US new case counts were flat the the time.

But we’re in a global pandemic that it’s clear the US, and especially Florida, do NOT have a handle on.

The graphs are really really bad, and we know positive cases, hospitalizations, and deaths significantly lag exposure, so it’s going to get worse for a long time (several weeks for cases, possibly month for the death counts).

Reasonable precautions like masks and social distancing make sense when the lines are flat or decreasing, but the slope of the current lines should trigger a major pullback for everyone to essentials.

3 Likes

tried to be funny… sigh…

1 Like

I could be wrong, but doesn’t it take something like 3 - 14 days to show symptoms, then another 2 - 10 days to get test results? I would reckon many of those cases are from before the holiday weekend.

3 Likes

I keep forgetting my humor doesn’t translate well in print.

3 Likes

Sorry! I did catch the sarcasm about being excited about breaking records. Print is hard.

3 Likes

The premise of the 15 minutes is that you need to be exposed to a certain viral load to become infected. While you might not be next to one infected person at WDW for that long, I’m not sure if the risk of being next to 3 different infected people for 5 min each over the course of a few hours would be significantly different or not.

It’s going to be hard to quantitatively trace cases to the parks with so much community spread in Florida. CM cases will probably be the highest indicator, but it will still be unclear if they were infected in or out of the parks. If they’re already working with the masses at WDW every day, not sure they’ll see a lot of need to avoid crowds in other areas of their lives.

I remember when you went, there wasn’t nearly as much community spread in Florida as now, and the health care system wasn’t under stress, so it really seemed like a reasonable choice.

Agreed. And it’s not just people that get infected at one point in time. It’s the ripple effect of the circle those people then infect, and then the next circle out that gets infected, that really drives the numbers up.

The unfortunate turning point here in Texas was bars re-opening just in time for Memorial Weekend. It took about 3.5 weeks before hospitalizations really started climbing. The fatalities just really started climbing this week. So event to fatalities was about 6 weeks. (Positive tests timing is a bit of a wild card since processing time varies so much. Here the spike in positive cases roughly corresponded with the timing of the hospitalizations.)

FWIW, I think Florida is about 2 weeks behind us.

2 Likes

I’m watching YouTube videos this morning of the past couple of days and I am still so impressed by not only everything Disney has done but what I’m seeing for guest behavior. People definitely seem to be making the effort to maintain space even when there aren’t markers on the ground (like just walking around in open spaces).

One thing I’ve taken away is that we will NOT be arriving at rope drop. That seems to be the only time there’s a bit more of a jumble on, for example, Main Street USA. Arriving a short time later will allow you a more comfortable and socially distant entry. And with capacity what it currently is, almost all of the rides are still a walk on even with that later arrival.

8 Likes

Noticing the same thing.

I also noticed that at least some of the snack stands are open. I was worried about where we would find Mickey Bars…but The Tim Tracker showed two different food stands open selling snacks.

I do expect food offerings to expand a bit. I do NOT expect things to be normal and for everything to be open. But I’m glad to see snack stands open too.

1 Like

I too am very impressed with all they have done. Very well thought out!

2 Likes

Agreed. We stopped elective surgeries in March. We started doing them again in June when the numbers reached less than 300-400 new cases a day.

1 Like

Yes, I was watching a live stream this morning (Here With The Ears) and I agree with everything you said. The rope drop is really the only time I’m seeing crowding, face masks have been on everyone (even little ones!) People are using the sanitizer stations. It feels safer to me than anything I’m seeing locally (and I live in a pretty decent state compliance wise, NJ.)

I’m feeling hopeful about our trip.

1 Like

that’s the one I’m watching most. I have one on my computer, one on my tv, and one on my phone LOL The TV is Here with the Ears, the others are muted

Disclaimer: I’d watch a TP live stream if I could find one!

1 Like

Same. I looked for a TP one also.

1 Like