Not Click Bait: Do you *really* want to come to FL right now?

This is ridiculous.
And then when you come home do you quarantine for another 14 days?

DS attends in state.
He reports a week early in quarantine by the floor of the dorm for a week. Having meals together. Recreation time together. They have to complete some safety modules online. Then the first full week of classes they will do online from their dorms. They still remain only with that core group of people from their floor of their dorm. Then the second week of classes will all start going to classroom teaching. Sounds great, right? What about all the professors who are mingling with their family and going shopping and their spouses are going to work? It’s not truly a closed system. Not that I care the least about germs. I just don’t think it’s fair to lock down the students not locked down all the other folks.

Way shorter time-wise to drive from Boston.

Albany is, as we say, wicked fah kid

2 Likes

Isn’t UVM on the far left of the state? Near the NY border? Either way, the drive will be gorgeous!!!

It is, but googlemaps tells me it’s 3.5 hrs from albany to burlington(uvm) but only 2.5 from boston to burlington

1 Like

Agree

Probably not. We have no such rules of quarantine here.

I keep thinking they must be working on some plan to open the dorms earlier and get the kids back on campus where they can quarantine while still having access to meals. We are losing almost 3 weeks of on campus living since they will have online classes and finals at home instead of returning after Thanksgiving, instead of a refund they should have the out of staters not on the East Coast come 2 weeks early. Then I would fly out with her, buy her stuff, move her in, and return home.
I just think unless they are locking down the entire campus (including off campus students and all of the staff), what’s the point? There is no way to keep a closed system.

2 Likes

It’s incredible how different (little to non-existent) the traffic is now! If you are literally renting at Logan and driving to VT it’s all easy highway anyway.

2 Likes

And - let’s be real.
The plan today vs the plan 8/15 could be night and day.

Somewhere on some thread someone said “We can’t go around this - we need to go through it,” (paraphrase). I keep going back to that thought.

5 Likes

Currently working on actually making TPs and surprisingly its making me feel better even though all the wait times are completely jacked up.

2 Likes

This doesn’t sound right as I’m in the Albany area. My in laws have a camp across the lake from Burlington in Wilsboro and it’s under 3 hours drive. Currently Google maps says from ALB to UVM it’s 2:41. From BOS to UVM it’s 3:19.

@OBNurseNH are you close to Bedford? My BIL lives there.

I am! Next town over :blush:

1 Like

Also that is whacked. I definitely searched Albany to Burlington. :woman_shrugging:t2: Good thing I’m not driving :joy::joy:

1 Like

your best shot from Boston is 93 north to 89 through NH to VT. It is probably closer to 3 or so hours from what I remember back in my college days. LOL
Beautiful drive for sure.

1 Like

@Wahoohokie, wow that is a lot to deal with and puts a lot on kids and parents.

DH’s school is quarantining international students and those that have to quarantine per the state guidelines (coming from a state with a > 5% positivity rate) on campus. Most of their population is from NE so it won’t be a big deal. At least they have a precise, clear plan. There is a multistep testing part of it all too.

Meanwhile, all Abby’s school has released is a 16 page report of nonsense like “masks will be the norm on campus” and they are “considering alternative break schedules.” Most schools are either finishing at Thanksgiving or finishing online, not hers. They are still in the “considering” phase. I know this stuff is tough but make some decisions. The planner in me is dying with the lack of information!

4 Likes

UT Austin has made a huge number of their courses available online. Sounds like all of DS19’s are available so she’ll be living at home and distance learning. So at least that’s settled.

Well, except we have her in a lease for an offsite apartment. We won’t leave her roommates hanging, but hopefully they can find someone to take her spot. Really don’t want to pay for it, but we’d budgeted for it so may just need to eat it. :confused:. At least we hadn’t bought her furniture yet.

2 Likes

This is true for my daily drive to work. It’s easily 1/2 the time now… It’s one of the only nice things about all this… :crazy_face:

@amvanhoose_701479 - My DD18 is in the same boat. Thankfully, I had put off buying her a car! At least I’m not stuck w/ that payment too.

1 Like

A lot of the people are under 40 and have been mingling outside since Memorial Day. The death rate is going down while cases go up. So this tells you only one thing that the virus is very contagious but not as deadly as they tell you it is. The vast majority of people will recover. If you’re young and you have it don’t take it home to Grandma and Grandpa

3 Likes

Possibly. But covid takes on average 30 days to kill, so you get the fatality rate dividing current number of deaths by number of infections 30 days ago. 30 days from now we will have a better estimate for the fatality rate for the current demographic - assuming these numbers are properly and transparently shared.

I don’t know enough about Florida’s demographics compared with other outbreaks around the world to know if it is reasonable to expect a different IFR from what happened elsewhere - age distribution, prevalence of risk factors and even blood type affect this. But IFR so far has always stayed within the same order of magnitude across outbreaks.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, the verdict is still out on that. Fatalities significantly lag exposure and positive test results. Sounds like the trend of fatalities over the next 2 weeks in Texas will let us know how that plays out.

And “recovered” doesn’t necessarily mean “no permanent health impacts”. It just means you didn’t die.

10 Likes

:cry:

Pandemics are bad enough, but a pandemic with a poorly understood virus is just horrible. We don’t even know how many people are left with permanent health damage. Or how many people get sick enough to have to stay in bed for six weeks with trouble breathing but not sick enough to be hospitalized.

5 Likes

what is the number you are referencing? My understanding is that the fatality rate scientists are estimating is 0.6% to 1% – are you referencing that? Or the actual rate of fatalities to confirmed cases, which is about 5%, but that is likely because the confirmed cases is vastly undercounted.

For perspective, the US population is 330 million. If 50% of Americans are eventually infected with coronavirus (which is a conservative estimate if there is no vaccine, and even below the usual 60-70% cited for herd immunity), that is 165 million infected. 1% of 165 million is 1.65 million deaths. 0.6% would be 990,000. That’s a lot of Americans.

17 Likes