Not Click Bait: Do you *really* want to come to FL right now?

I have a feeling it’ll be “fun” but just a different kind. Truthfully, what i’m more concerned with is boredom. Those few nights when Disney closed early back in January and during Dorian left me restless. If the trip goes through, I’m going to need to make sure I plan for it.

Same…same. :slight_smile: Nearly launched into a tirade m’self earlier. Almost the same rationale entered my mind. Though mine centered more on “what is the end goal?”

What’s the quote? “I’ve changed someone’s mind on the internet!” --no one, ever.

NOT IN THE LEAST!! You absolutely have every right to feel heartbroken. All the hemming and hawing I’m doing in my decision boils down to just that: i’ll be heartbroken not to go. And to kill it 15 days before going? Oof, that just hurts all the way around.

13 Likes

I’m sorry to read this update.

FWIW I was hearing a few podcasts today suggest wondering if they will open as scheduled in 10 days. One said they felt an announcement was imminent.

TOTAL AND COMPLETE GUT FEELINGS NOTHING OUT THERE THAT SAYS ANY OF THIS WILL HAPPEN, JUST SHARING WHAT I HAVE HEARD OTHERS SAYING.

4 Likes

The only problem though is that it doesn’t track that all these companies, many known for their complete neutral moral standing, are losing BILLIONS willingly. I know of no corporate thought process that supports that without a good reason. And the argument "so it looks good’ only goes so far when clearly there’s a large portion of the population that just doesn’t care.

Government, news, and whatever might be hyping it up a bit…but when companies like Disney, Universal, NBA, MLB, Apple, Microsoft, Movie Theaters, and on and on and on are, again, willingly taking a massive, and sometimes fatal, financial hit(and not just seeing low ticket sales)…there’s definitely something to be very concerned about here.

13 Likes

I have the same issue of just not being as concerned about me. With corona my thought process has settled into - if I get really sick the people who care about me are going to be sad, concerned and upset and I don’t want them to feel that way. Also, I don’t want to set a bad example to my family and encourage reckless behavior for them (I worry a lot about them).

That said, if you are willing to your best - even if it is very inconvenient, chances are you will not increase anyone else’s overall risk. There are a ton of safety guidelines and recommendations that help. Do you have a plan for returning home if potentially infected?

I would also have a hard time of dealing with the sunk cost. Use it or lose it might cause suboptimal decisions. Thought experiments sometimes help. If you had no points right now and a person you know were selling 111 points expiring soon, how much would you be willing to bid for them right now?

2 Likes

That’s an interesting way to swing it around.

I don’t think I would bid on the points — we’ve seen some disasters with the rental market through this :stuck_out_tongue:

All kidding aside, I would be only about 70% likely to plan a trip if I didn’t already have one on the books that involves points that will be lost if I don’t dump the trip within the next 26 days

4 Likes

Yup, I do. It’s nothing extravagant though. I live alone and am able to work from home so quarantine is kinda my natural jam.

Wellll i did just buy a new toy (coughiPadcough) so probably enough to cover that or so? :rofl: But really, I never really considered it and by the time I’m going to make my final decision it will likely be 7 days out from the trip, which means the turn around for whomever would get them would be insanely tight and likely very annoying for all parties. But mostly me :smiley:

2 Likes

^This. One of the reasons I dislike timeshares in general that it makes long-term future commitments to something I may end up not wanting to do (or cannot do), which then leads to bad decisions.

4 Likes

Well, if Avery goes to Vermont, she will have to quarantine for 7 days and then take a Covid test which can take a few days to come back, or just quarantine for 14 days. No way I am sending my freshman across the country to stay in a hotel quarantined alone, so I will be joining her if she goes. I made a reservation last night for 14 nights in a suite hotel. Many of the hotels seem to have a 14 day special, I guess for those of us who have to do this. The 14 days was much less price than I was expecting. The same hotel was going to cost what I am paying for 14 for just 5 nights over move in week. I am also looking at VRBO and AirBnB, but I really like the cancellation policies of the hotel plus it provides breakfast as well as a full kitchen and separate bedroom. Now I am trying to figure out if we have to fly into Vermont, or can fly into NY, NH, or Mass and drive (way better flights to those places on Southwest, but they don’t fly to Vermont). I don’t know how families who cannot take off 2 weeks to do this will manage?

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this, and it is not wrong to be heartbroken about cancelling. Most of us would be as well.

5 Likes

The Boston Globe has a “New England travel restrictions” section, but this seems to be the current guidance for New England. It might be easier for you to fly into MHT or BOS and quarantine there and/or get a test here.

Vermont

Visitors can avoid quarantine requirements when arriving if their home county has less than 400 active cases of COVID-19 per 1 million residents.

This map is populated with raw data from Johns Hopkins University and uses multiple factors to determine how many active cases are in each county, according to the state of Vermont.

This map is populated with raw data from Johns Hopkins University and uses multiple factors to determine how many active cases are in each county, according to the state of Vermont.STATE OF VERMONT

The state also has advised that residents who are returning by car from counties in New England or New York that have similar active caseloads to Vermont don’t need to quarantine.

See that red spot in NH?
That’s where I live.

Though we’ve had a 14 day downward trend in number of cases.

So when I pasted that link from the globe, the TP window showed the base for that chart and it’s the Johns Hopkins data which I have been finding MORE and MORE issues with! It lists MA current positive rate of 2.5% when I haven’t seen a rate above 1.9% in over a week.

What I wonder is, can we fly into Boston, rent a car (not staying in Boston) and have any issue getting into Vermont? We will do the quarantine in Vermont, they were pretty clear only East coasters can quarantine at home first, get their test and then arrive in Vermont. For us outside the Northeast we have to quarantine in Vermont, and get tested at her school on day 7 (or wait the entire 14 days). This was not the year for my daughter to decide she needs to move across the country!

1 Like

I don’t foresee any trouble with that plan. I have driven to and from New Hampshire from MA probably 20 times. There are some road signs but that is it. I haven’t gone to VT, but I think Maine is much more strict and I could still get over the border there without being stopped.

1 Like

There’s nobody at the borders stopping people so I don’t see why that wouldn’t work

2 Likes

@Wahoohokie If you can, it may be easier to fly into Albany NY than Boston. It’s a very easy drive from Albany to VT, I find Boston really hard to drive in. But I’m also a suburban weenie and don’t navigate cities well.

1 Like

I know there isn’t a large DLR crowd here, but as someone who has been tracking CA for so long now…

Governor Newsom is ordering immediate 3-week closure of indoor operations at restaurants, wineries, tasting rooms, movie theaters zoos, museums and card rooms in 19 counties, including LA County – home to Disneyland, that officials had been monitoring for increases in cases and hospitalizations.

1 Like

Thanks, I did look at Albany but there is only one daily flight from here, and on the day I want to travel only the more expensive fare is available, so that won’t work. It would be $599 each for a one way flight. Nope. I have driven a lot in LA, Seattle, and DC/NOVA, so I am okay with Boston traffic. Thank you though!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I am starting to wonder when (or if) DLR will ever get permission to open. Makes me sad, though I understand.

More cases in LA county now than at the height of the pandemic in Italy

This will delay the D’town Disney reopening and probably reclose CityWalk