Not Click Bait: Do you *really* want to come to FL right now?

My slow-motion break-up with Orlando is continuing to move forward.

I’ve just booked another mini-vacation at a second UK theme park (Blackpool Pleasure Beach). The dates are right in the middle of my alleged October trip to UOR. This new booking is fully refundable up to 48 hours before, so I haven’t burned any bridges quite yet.

But that’s the direction of my thinking.

And it’s odd how easy it feels. I really feel like I’ve fallen out of love with WDW and fallen back in love with the UK parks I used to visit.

It’s also hilarious how much cheaper a UK trip is. We’re staying at a really nice hotel in Blackpool (there is one, @missoverexcited, believe me!) and compared with WDW it’s basically free.

If these trips work out, I’m not going to consider coming back to Florida until maybe 2022 at the earliest.

8 Likes

Have I been rude about Blackpool in the past? I’ve never stayed in a hotel there, I’ve not even been there for 10 years since I took DS to the Sandcastle.

Haha. No. But I was anticipating you might object to my claim that Blackpool has a luxury hotel, lol.

Well I can’t lie, I’m surprised :joy: But if such a thing exists, it doesn’t shock me at all that you have found it.

4 Likes

Is this where Top Gear (the old one, with Jeremy, Richard and Cpt Slow) raced from Switzerland to Blackpool on one tank of gas? I know it ended in Blackpool.

1 Like

TN just posted their highest single day COVID number Friday… We’ve been hovering around 900 a day. We finally spiked through that to 1400… :cry::mask::tired_face:

There’s talk we are going back to Phase 1…

1 Like

What is open now?

You’re in Shelby county? I know Shelby and Davidson counties have the highest numbers.

not surprised, i’m in Knoxville and I almost lost it grocery shopping Sunday when people were ignoring signs on how to go down the aisles and maybe 25% of people were wearing masks? And that’s a very generous number.

2 Likes

We had gotten to Phase 3, but went back to Phase 2 (Last week?)

Pretty much everything… Masks are “encouraged”, but not required. Gatherings of 50 or less OK - but I have friends that go to church and they aren’t taking attendance. Businesses / offices can be open…

Yep. I live right on the border, right before you exit the Memphis area, in a suburb.

Same. What really irks me is when they “half” wear them. Like pulled down under their nose or chin - especially the employees.

EDIT - OFF-TOPIC, but I didn’t want to double post. I just saw this from a CM on DISboards, if anyone is interested.

3 Likes

YES! I saw the employees wear them half way Sunday and that just irks me cause “lead by example”!

2 Likes

My adult children live in Nashville and masks became mandatory in Nashville yesterday. We live a couple counties north of Nashville and mask wearing is minimal at best (wearing it on your chin doesn’t count).
The numbers aren’t looking good.

1 Like

I saw that. As you may know, here in Shelby County one of the biggest issues is that we have 2 separate governments - City & County and they rarely cooperate. So we get conflicting info and instructions.

My frustration with this lack of a single narrative is why I wrote my “essay” in this thread and why I don’t feel like I know what’s “really” happening in TN and across the country.

1 Like

Is TN where that Chase what’s-his-face just had the big concert?

:confounded:

I had to go look up who “Chase” was… lol… not all of us in TN like country music! Nashville is home to that. Here in Memphis we’re home to Rock-n-Roll / Elvis and the Blues.

And yes… Chase Rice held a concert close to Nashville on Saturday. They crammed into the auditorium with no masks. That was on Saturday, can’t wait to see the spike from that tomorrow

4 Likes

That is a big problem.
I think a lot of people around here have just stopped being concerned for various reasons.

Thank you!! We live near Nashville, but I don’t like country music either.
There has been a lot of criticism over his concert.

2 Likes

LOL. Not a fan either, hence couldn’t recall his name. I caught part of Feedback (music talk show on Siriusxm) and they were discussing. Someone who supposedly works in back of the house production in country music said there are strong attempts to make him the next “bro-country” star. :woman_shrugging:

This pic:

1 Like

Excellent social distancing. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Not sure if there is data for this in Florida, but the “napkin” would be more accurate if the figures used were for ages 45-55 instead of under 55. There is a material difference in rates between ages 20-40 and ages 45-55.

2 Likes