Not Click Bait: Do you *really* want to come to FL right now?

Oh, so having shingles is like going to Via Napoli?

2 Likes

You should get the Shingrix series, even if you got the Zostavax and even if you had shingles. Two shot series. Get the first dose and the second is given between 2-6 months later.

Never actually ate there before but if you can compare it to shingles in any way i will make sure to avoid it :grimacing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

Funny, my wonderful doctor told me there was a wait list and they would put me on- two years ago…

Yes, it is in short supply

For whatever reason that nobody can explain to me, you can get it a most pharmacies that give immunizations. But as a hospital organization we can’t get a lot of it. Can’t get an explanation of this. I wonder if it’s limited in what each facility can get, which would mean that Concord Hospital gets a small allotment, which then needs to be distributed across many practices, resulting in very small available supply to me.

Add to that that it’s a two shot series, and we know that for every one that we give, we have to hold one on hand to ensure we can give the second dose. Which means that we have to have space to store those second doses. Storage is limited, so we can only order additional sets of doses once that second dose has been given to most of the people. It’s one of the things I have to keep close tabs on to ensure that we keep it moving; lots of times people don’t schedule a nurse visit for that second dose without a nudge.

2 Likes

My patients even have trouble finding Shingrix at the pharmacy clinics. I tell them not to even bother with Zostavax

2 Likes

I have a co worker that said she got it through a pharmacy, I might look into it. If I ever get back into my doctor (my March appointment was “delayed”) I will ask. At this point I think I would gladly take my chance and get my blood work done, I am so past when it should have been checked.

Give a call.

Our lab services have expanded, and we are now allowed to bring a wider array of visits back in (still not anything remotely concerning for Covid19 - any cough, shortness of breath, fever, runny nose, etc). You may be able to get all your stuff done by now.

Florida’s numbers are definitely a factor in us not visiting this year. I’m in Ontario (pop. 14.5 million) where we only have about 2000 total active cases (about 238 new cases in the last day). We are healthy with no known underlying conditions, so we should be fine. I know two young healthy people who traveled to the US in March and returned with it. Both got very sick and are still having issues because of it months later.

So, to answer your question, no I don’t want to go to Florida right now. I’ll wait. I’ll discover my own country for the next year or two until it is safer to travel. It doesn’t look like amusement parks will open here this season, but there are plenty of other great things to do.

4 Likes

This right here.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s true - shingles is already the “dormant” chicken pox virus flaring up. My mother had many episodes of shingles between 60 and 80. I was able to find the vaccine at a MA pharmacy by persistently checking.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story!

I think one of the key things as you mention with concerns about your lungs, is to understand morbidity not just mortality. Ways this causes permanent damage (I am thinking about strokes and reports of cognitive challenges) is as important as understanding death rates.

To all, I am not a “shut it all down” person, but surely there is a space between shut down and crowded bars. My frustration with the country’s overall response is that we seem to not be able something between all or nothing. Disney is clearly trying to find that line - I hope it works!

9 Likes

what do you consider accurate? From the research I’ve done, the antibody tests at National Jewish and CU Health are as accurate as tests come.

Accurate being a meaningful response across differing population levels.

Accurate wouldn’t apply to time since infection, as apparently folks with questionable symptoms in early March wouldn’t be considered to have enough antigens were tests to be run now.

1 Like

Time from infection is why I haven’t bothered. You can finally get appointments at National Jewish. But my belief that I might have had it was from the week of March 9. So way too long ago to bother.

I don’t understand what this means.

It’s my understanding that any % of inaccuracy is across a certain population density. Where the population is a half a person per square mile, you’ve got to go a long way to get to enough tested persons to get to the % accuracy range.

1 Like

Update: Numbers for June 28 - 8,520 new cases in the past 24 hours.

Well hey, that’s less…

The news in MA was showing a line of cars (I think it was Tamps) trying to get tested yesterday. The line was too long and they had to shut down and send people home.

1 Like

My friend lives near st. Pete and her whole family is having symptoms. They went to get tested and were told they are not able to be tested until July 3rd. There is a testing shortage in many areas :disappointed:

2 Likes