Newbies

Trying to plan a trip for August, our first trip! We have been to WDW four times and each time say we are gonna squeeze in Universal but it’s never happened. So we have decided to just plan a trip dedicated to US only. any tips and advice would be appreciated. Arrival date 8/2 departure 8/7, Also we know there is the chance that the park could still be closed, so nothing is set in stone yet. I have been looking at a lot of different hotel options. There is a Clarion that is very close that looks decent and the price is very affordable, and its a good neighbor hotel. We will have 4 full park days. I was also looking into one of the deluxe resort for the express pass, but man its pricey! It will just be me and my 10 year old son who has recently developed a new found interest in Harry Potter. Our dates have a crowd level of 10! Should I just opt for the cheaper room and add on express passes?

Check the cost of express passes for your dates. They can be rather pricey–enough that I find it worth it to stay at a deluxe resort even for just my son and me. Although with 4 full park days, you might not even need EP.

2 Likes

The clarion is cheaper than one of the newer value resorts? Without an express pass you might like the early entry.

I would also look at the price of one night at a deluxe. It will give you two days of express pass.

4 Likes

It is! and if you book it as a package through the universal website, you still get the early entry.

Do you have to book it for a minimum amount of nights to get the best price?

hmm, that I am not sure of. I will have to look.

I just saw that if you book 4 nights it is a 20% discount. That room is so cheap you could buy a day of express pass if you need it with your savings.

I do think there is an issue getting to the parks from there. I believe you cannot cross the street (at least not without playing an old fashion game of frogger?).

2 Likes

hotel website says there is a shuttle, but I wonder how reliable, since its 3rd party. Maybe uber? I’m not familiar with the area at all.

1 Like

Thats what i was thinking too, but should i just spring for the pass when I buy the tickets, or wait and see how it goes the day of?

1 Like

You can wait! Do not buy until you know you need them!

The only thing I would watch is to make sure they are allowing off site guests access to the parks. A lot of their surveys seem like they are considering restricting access.

4 Likes

yeah, I am holding off booking anything just yet. waiting to see what direction this whole things takes by then. Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Another bit of advice: hotel cancellations can be made up to a week before. Universal is also running a special right now that if you book a hotel before May 31 you can cancel up to 24 hours before and receive a full refund. Might be a good idea to book a Universal on-site hotel (non package) at a low rate now just incase.

1 Like

Stress Free Booking Policy – Book By 5-31-2020 for travel through 8/31/20 are fully refundable up to 24 hours prior to arrival.

That only applies to reservations made through August.

You’re right, sorry, the 24 hour one is. The one week policy is still good in September and later.

I’m begining to wonder, if I should just at least book the room now, in case they open, but are limited to onsite guests only.

I am thinking at least a room reservation at this point might be a good idea

1 Like

OK, I booked a package with a room at the endless summer,Dockside, since its newer. Its fully refundable right up to travel and at this point I only had to pay a deposit. andddd since we will be in Florida, I also put a deposit down on a room only for Disney for 4 days, new departure date on the 11th! Way too hard for me to go all the way to Fl and not go there too. But at least I have piece of mind knowing I have a reservation. Now to wait and see what direction this whole thing takes.

4 Likes

Congrats and happy planning!

2 Likes

I’m so use to the continues planning that comes with a Disney trip, this actually feels weird. Just booking and waiting. No fast passes, no ADR’s? whatever will I do with myself :rofl:

3 Likes

My first trip I HAD TO make dining reservations so I booked Mythos and a dinner at my resort :grinning:

1 Like