Newbie aussie with offsite accom questions!

Hello new to the forum - dived in on chat last night!
Heading to orlando and wdw for the first time next year in June. (From melbourne Australia)17 nights with our 8 and 10 year old.
Currently looking at floridays resort and wondering who has stayed there or has other off site recs? We like that they have two bedrooms and a kitchen plus a decent looking pool and Starbucks on site plus seems to be an outlet mall not far away! :). For the amount of time we’ll be there we’ll want the space and opportunity to cook.

Also wondering for those that have stayed offsite without a car how painful it was? What did you find was the best method to get to the parks? We’ll be following the plans (used at dlr last year and hooked) so will be out bright and early each day for park opening.

Struggling to get my head around the size of wdw as dlr was so easy - we just walked there every day!

1 Like

Hi @Quattro4 - Wow! 17 nights will be fabulous. Renting a car would be ideal for getting to and from the parks from your offsite hotel. Yes - WDW is big, with 4 major theme parks. You’ll love it!

1 Like

Thanks @MeetMeAtThePoly very exciting. Hoping to not need a car but if all fails can easily get one. We’re getting a 10 day wdw pass and 2 day universal do hoping to do at a leisurely pace. Did disneyland last year and loved it.

1 Like

Hi @Quattro4 I don’t have any useful advice (I went last year but stayed onsite with DH) but I just wanted to say hi to the newbie fellow Aussie! (I’m in Brisbane but will alway be Melbourne girl). WDW will absolutely blow your mind … looking forward to following along your planning…

1 Like

Thanks @TashToo you’d have to be loving brisbane right now. 5 degrees currently in melb and has been since about 3pm! Bring on summer. Looking forward to finding my way through the forums.

1 Like

I think you will want to have a car to visit all of the places you have planned. I guess you could do taxis but your own rental car would be cheaper and more convenient. Just my opinion though. :slight_smile:

Hi @Quattro4! I’m sorry I don’t have any advice to offer but I just wanted to say welcome to chat! :slight_smile: Great to have you aboard! Sounds like you have an awesome trip in the works and I’m sure many of our knowledgeable Liners will be able to help with your question.

1 Like

And… I just posted this as a reply to @MeetMeAtThePoly. Apparently I need more coffee! :coffee: Sorry! :blush:

3 Likes

I must say I’m not missing that bitter Melb wind and the 2 week Brisbane winter seems to be over … But I do miss hats, coats and boots… Now back to WDW stuff… Are you going anywhere else on your trip or is it all focused on universal and WDW?

1 Like

Welcome! I hope you have a great trip! Feel free to ask any questions while you’re planning. Someone always has the answer or an opinion to share. We’re not a shy group. :wink:

1 Like

Welcome to the Forums!

Have you considered renting a house? It would give you a lot more room, a lot of them have private pools, and surprisingly they are usually cheaper than a lot of hotels. Houses in very nice parts of town can be rented for $100 a night, sometimes less. You would need a car but likely the difference in cost for your lodging would easily absorb the cost of the rental car. Getting around in Orlando is not very easy without one. You’d end up paying an awful lot in taxi charges.

2 Likes

I would also recommend renting a house and car. Try VRBO.com for house rentals. Others had posted links to specific house rentals or areas before on chat - I’ll look and see if I can find them. We stayed at Caribe Royale in July in their 2BR, 2bath villa. Had full kitchen and washer/dryer with full housekeeping services. They do have a shuttle bus that runs on a specific schedule but we rented a car and found it very convenient and flexible.

1 Like

Hi and welcome! Off site is no problem if you rent a car. Also I own a town home 2.5 miles from wdw. I give liners a discounted rate of 100 per night. 3 bedroom 3 baths full kitchen in ground screened in private pool. Located in Windsor hills resort. My website is www.parkhopperparadise.com. Let me know if I can help you. I have rented to many liners.from the resort it’s a left out of resort right at light go through 2 lights and turn on world drive that will take you to every park and dtd.

3 Likes

We’ve stayed at Floridays for a quick weekend trip. Was fine. We weren’t there long enough to make a big impression. The rooms were spacious. Clean and friendly service. Just wasn’t anything spectacular. Close to sea world too and outlet shopping. We rented a car as well, so I’m not too sure about their shuttles. Gets great ratings on TripAdvisor tho!!

1 Like

Thanks @LoveBug53 - so are there no shuttles? From reading the resort website there seems yo be - or are they unreliable? - have also read something about a trolley? …

Thanks @SallyEpp_cot for the welcome!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and replies. I’d looked at houses and thought a resort might be better as the kids loving meeting new friends whilst we are away. But looking at @goofy_buckeye s property there seems to be a community pool cafe and grocery! So the best of both worlds! Will have to investigate further now!

@jenmckenna80 thanks for the feedback on floridays - yes rates very we’ll on ta. Your feedback matches - not expecting fancy but wanting clean and comfy for when we are there. We’ll be out and about a lot so want to spend the $$ elsewhere.

@TashToo this is a big trip for us - New York 7 nights, orlando 17 nights and south beach 3 nights. So lots of planning to do! For orlando I haven’t got past disney, universal and outlet malls :blush: so suggestions definitely welcome!

Sorry another question on the car now… When parking at the parks is it the one fee for the day and you can hop between the car parks or do you pay separately each time you go in? Just wondering about park hopping or if we leave in the middle of the and want to come back do we pay again?

You pay once for the day ($17 currently). Just keep your receipt and show it when you return.
Lots of people here recommend this site for car rentals:

1 Like

Brilliant thanks @schirm I’ll check it. I’m all for it just need to convince the husband! I think even if we get there and go a few days without one he’ll come around to my way of thinking :