New movie

100% agree.

More shocking than seeing a 7-year-old thread revived was seeing @Flaviarosado21ā€™s negative review of one of my favorite film musicals of all time! Yes, I mean 2014ā€™s Into the Woods!

My high school put on the play the year after I graduated, and I thought it was just fine (not Broadway caliber cast, obviously, though many of my friends were in it). But when I later saw the movie, it gave me a great appreciation for Sondheim as a lyricist and songwriter. ā€œWhile her withers whither with her.ā€ Goodnight, can you be more clever with words than Sondheim?!

I especially love On the Steps of the Palace - such a beautiful song about making difficult life changing decisions. Agony is hilarious and performed perfectly by Chris Pine and Billy Magnussen. Moments in the Woods is about infidelity, but I really felt that one too hearing it the first time - itā€™s about making mistakes and learning from them and moving on instead of letting them own you, and about what happiness really is. And No One Is Alone is just heartbreakingly tender.

All the actors were great in their roles, from Emily Blunt to Meryl Streep (!) to James Corden and Anna Kendrick. The younger actors were spot on as well. I seriously cannot gush enough about my love for this movie.

I understand tastes are different, so I donā€™t begrudge anyone for not liking it. But I definitely do. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I regret posting this and I was hoping no one else would reply, so that the 7 year old ā€œnew movieā€ unpopular opinion fiasco would eventually be forgotten!

I have read the 1 star reviews out there and I know Iā€™m not the only crazy weirdo who didnā€™t like this movie, but this is a Disney fan boardā€¦ what was I thinking??? Lol!

2 Likes

Actually, it is funny. So, I fell in love with Into the Woods far before Disney had anything to do with it. But not long after the Disney movie version came out, I was at work and overheard a co-worker over the wall talking to another co-worker about how they went to see this horrible movie that was so bad, they walked out of it. Turns out, it was Into the Woods. I was so dismayed, I went over there and had to defend it! I think it was a lost cause. (Didnā€™t help she didnā€™t realize it was a musicalā€¦and she despised musicals.)

In some ways, it does it a disservice for it to have been done by Disney. When people think of Disney, they expect something else. But Into the Woods is not a Disney-esque story at all.

And nowā€¦

It isnā€™t my fault I was given those beans, you persuaded me to trade away my cow for beans, and without those beans thereā€™da been no stalk to get up to the giant in the first place.

Wait a minuteā€¦

3 Likes

You nailed it. It was Sunday afternoon, and we went to Disney+ looking for a fairy tale movie with princesses and happy endings. Half of us wanted to watch Frozen 2 for the 100th time. We have never seen the Broadway show. Yes, we were deeply disappointed.

1 Like

Ha ha! Iā€™m glad you posted this, you fired up my passion for this movie! :joy: Please donā€™t take it personally, I respect your opinion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m with you. We saw it in the theater and almost left multiple times. We kept thinking it would get better, and it just got worse with each scene. It was one of the worst movies I can remember watching, ever. You are not alone. :rofl:

2 Likes

Just watch this scene again and admire the brilliance of these lyrics:

3 Likes

You donā€™t have to convince me! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha ha I was piggybacking off your comment to reply to the forum at large. :slight_smile:

Growing up in the greater NYC area all the Broadway shows had TV commercials running on every channel. Although I didnā€™t have the opportunity to watch the original Broadway version, I know the music well and a young Bernadette Peters is the visual in my head whenever I hear the main Into the Woods theme music!

My daughter is a HUGE fan of musicals and ITW is one of her favoritesā€¦both videos she has managed to see of the stage version and the movie.

ā€¦and yes I also did a double take when I read that there was a new ITW movie. :smile:

2 Likes

As a fellow nerd/fan of musicals, I am embarrassed to say Iā€™ve never seen any version of Into the Woods or heard any of its musical numbers. Putting it on my to do list now.

2 Likes

Yes! She was in the version we have a recording from. She was brilliant.

One of things that I think was missing in the movie version was many of the comedic moments that they had in the stage version. As a result, the movie version has a narrower scope of emotion, I think, overall, contributing to why it is weaker overall.

3 Likes

One other note - I watched it with my kids once. I was worried they would be bored or wouldnā€™t like the darker parts. But to my surprise, they actually watched it again on their own the next day and kept requesting the soundtrack in the car! So while it is more geared toward adults (as an exploration of morality and other deeper themes), it can be enjoyed by children. And mine really love regular fairy tales as well, so as long as your expectations are in check, I think anyone could enjoy it.

1 Like

Unlike Bambi where they kill off mothersā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

I am glad that you posted your opinion! It gives perspective, and it is just as valid as anyoneā€™s. I like the movie, but I appreciate hearing why someone else might not enjoy it.

1 Like

I dont know if my girls (DD8 and DD11) watched too much Teletubbies or what, but they tend to be very ā€œsensitiveā€ to dark things. They only like rainbows and unicorns. I worry about that. Are they going to be ready for real life?

Into the woods is dark but it is not a horror movie. Kids are just different.

1 Like

I just want to say ā€¦ no wonder the three of you (@Tall_Paul1, @ryan1, and @Jeff_AZ) had such a great time together on the Super Liner Bros. trip! You have so much in common.

3 Likes

:heart: What a great time that was! Maybe when I change jobs in a few years and have more time on my hands, I will do a real non-virtual Liner trip.

3 Likes

It felt real to me. Donā€™t burst my bubble!

2 Likes