New HS Tiering... Really?

Thanks for the tips! I think I will get the T2 as soon as I scan in for the FP. If I pick something no sane person gets a FP to, I should be able to tap in right away, grab the next T2, do it again and then move on to finding another T1

3 Likes

Thats solid. The tier 1s may go quickly but hopefully ull be ahead of everyone else and get 1 or 2 extra tier ones😀

Who is a fan of long lines?

It’s a huge popular theme park with 50 thousand people also wanting to do everything, the reality is you have to queue for some things just like the rest of the folks. While FP offers a help to this, it doesn’t and shouldn’t mean you never have to wait for anything.

I understand this forum is all about playing the game of minimizing waiting and everyone wants to get the most out of their time, but if the fact that you can’t “cut” every line makes you miserable, do you really want to be there?

I apologize for the slightly off topic rant, but I feel like sometimes the discussion sways pretty far into the bubble…

3 Likes

I agree. Im ok with skipping something if I have to wait more than 30 mins. Reality is, if you have to ride all the headliners, you probably wont get a FP for everyone, unless your going to the each park like 3+ day w/o PHing. And then, u still may not be able to swing it. I cant physically stand, somewhat still for an hour+ without discomfort.

1 Like

The FP system was never MEANT to replace waiting in lines entirely. It was merely a means to “skip the line” for a few select rides. It is essentially an advertising gimmick.

The changes to the FP tiers at HS actually makes the system work MORE like it was probably originally intended. Everyone gets one “free” pass from waiting. I do expect that ONCE they decide to add SWGE rides into the FPP system, there will be a shuffle in tiers again. But regardless, I’m not sure why people are so averse to waiting in lines. Rather, use the FPP system to avoid the lines you can, and then expect to wait in lines otherwise. That is where, as stated before, a good touring plan helps.

4 Likes

Never said that.

Or this.

Respectfully, what you’ve constructed here is known as a strawman. Taking the basics of another’s argument and exaggerating it to make the reasonable appear unreasonable. It’s not like I came here to tell everyone about having to wait 15 minutes for Aladdin’s Magic Carpets.

I have no problem with lines. I stand in them every time I go to WDW (or the local multiplex, or the supermarket for that matter). I do have an arbitrary threshold, past which a line is simply too long to stand in… but then I assume everyone does. Never has there been a park in the state of Florida in which every single ride line blows past that threshold. Until now, that is. That’s what prompted my OP, not having to queue up a bit here and there.

I just think that, from a guest experience perspective, this is a tactical error… a (huge) step backward. This doesn’t just undercut the premise of FP+, it comes close to bringing us back to pre-1999, before even PAPER fastpasses were introduced.

Line. Not lines. Lines (plural) would actually be great.

I created a TP (several, actually) using the software right here, and the result was… not great.

I’m not so sure about that… unless the original intention was to time warp customers back to the guest experience pre-Clinton Administration. That’s a lot to invest in the technology, in both development and implementation, to achieve one (ride) and done.

It’s almost like the design team finally got fed up with the complaints on various and sundry message boards and twitter about FP+, and decided to set aside HS as an object lesson. “You don’t like the system we’ve created to make your life better? Well get a load of this!”

The real victim here is Star Tours. Poor Star Tours. It’s left as the last ride standing in Tier 2… a tier which now has one ride, but makes guests select 2 options (genius). It’s conceivable that Star Tours is about to become a harder get than SDD. And it’s certain that, in the months to come, it’s about to get ridden harder than a rented mule. Did Star Tours break up with someone on the planning team? Did Star Tours owe the Park Manager money? Star Tours now knows how it must feel like when a cast member on the Walking Dead gets that inevitable script couriered to them, and discovers that their character is about to get bitten

4 Likes

But once you’ve had multiple trips where you didn’t have to wait in line at all your standards are pretty high. And I would rather not go than wait in line, too.

3 Likes

Just try to remember any touring plan created at this point in time with the new tier system is simply not reliable. The plans work off of data, and there is not enough data yet for anyone, Disney included, to know what the new normal wait times on the rides are going to look like with the new system in place.

3 Likes

That’s true. We’re only discussing this because this is the feedback the TP has to give us (me) at the present time. As the data evolves down the road, so will the TP, and so will my takeaway from it (and the conversation in this thread, if it somehow still exists).

I mean lines as in “any and all lines you can avoid”. That might mean one line. It might mean five. It depends on how things play out. But with the new tiering system, it may actually make it easier to get same-day tier 1 FPPs. Before the change, there were pretty much never any “leftover” tier 1 FPPs left. (Okay, granted, the “tier 2” rides you might get a fourth FPP for the day for are now tier 1.)

Not necessarily a TouringPlans touring plan. But a touring plan. The software here is a tool to help, but it isn’t the be all/end all to touring plans. I’ve been to Disney countless times without a TouringPlan, but I’ve always had a touring plan. But if you define a good touring plan as simply avoiding lines, then I think you have your standards set too high. Lines are a part of amusement park life. Sometimes we have walk-ons. Sometimes we have 35 minute waits. Sometimes we have 90 minute waits. Yep. And we have a great time, regardless.

I’d love that, actually. Because I much preferred visiting Disney before they ever introduced the FPP system. Contrary to popular opinion, Disney didn’t implement the FP system (spending on the investment on it) out of the kindness of their hearts. They did so because it generates higher revenues for themselves by making guests FEEL like they are getting something that, in actuality, they aren’t. I wish to return to the pre-FP days, personally. But I know that isn’t going to happen. So you have to work with the system that is here. But one side-effect of the FP system is that it seems to have made people think they shouldn’t have to wait in line for anything! That was NEVER Disney’s intent.

I totally agree with this. I think Star Tours is going to become very difficult to obtain a FPP for going forward. But I also believe they will revisit the tiering system at DHS once Rise of the Resistance and Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway open up (and have had time to burn through the initial crowds). For the short term, Disney is trying to push the expected increase in crowds into the shows, which can accommodate more people.

2 Likes

Totally agree with this, and I think this is a huge difference between people who are amusement park people and people who are specifically Disney people. I am an amusement park person. I’ve done amusement parks complete with lines since I was a small child. It was even a badge of honor in high school - “we waited 3 hours to get in the dragster. It’s the tallest roller coaster in the world.” (That was true for a minute). We played games to entertain ourselves and, in the wake of final destination movies, made up elaborate scenarios for how the ride we were waiting could epically malfunction. It was actually fun an, for me, part of the park experience. I have so many good memories from silly things we did in line.

Disney has an interesting little beast to take care of in that many many people who are not amusement park people visit their parks. It is interesting to see that as FPP and the tips and tricks associated have become more and more popular strategy has become more about FPPs than crowd flow.

1 Like

3 hours for a ride that lasts 17 seconds. :wink:

I never waited that long. The longest I ever waited for a ride was 2 1/2 hours when Iron Dragon first opened. I’ll wait up to 2 hours for Millennium Force and I recently waited 90 minutes (posted wait time was 2 hours) for Steel Vengeance. I’ll admit, there isn’t much at Disney I’d be willing to wait that long for, overall…but regardless, I fully expect to wait and am willing to wait for certain rides.

As you mentioned, sometimes you can have fun in lines. Sometimes, however, you can embarrass yourself. Like during our last trip to Universal, we were in line for a while. My DS15 was ahead of me in line, and as we were approaching the final boarding, I cam up behind him and put my hands around his shoulders in a kind of reverse hug. He turned around. And it wasn’t my son! Whoops. He was the same height and wearing similar clothes that my son was wearing. He laughed. I laughed. I then nearly died. :wink: But it created a memory that only came from standing in line! :wink:

Right?! I think agree with MF wait - worth. it. We did about 90 for SV last summer too. I’m curious to see how that one evens out, but won’t see it until next summer :unamused:

I like your embarrassing story - my worst was for sure intentional. It my particularly delightful pre-teen days a few of my friends had a game that we played where you said certain anatomical word progressively louder… kind of like a game of chicken - seeing who will wimp out first. My best friend, much to the mortification of the entire group (including my mother) never wimped out… :rofl: Ugh the poor people around us.

1 Like

Femur. You mean femur, right? Hilarious! :wink:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: yes as 13 year old girls we definitely chose the word femur :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

HS should do away with tiers altogether and make it a 2 FP park instead of 3. This would help.

1 Like

I think lines is correct. A single FP would help with one ride but the comment was about the FPP system thats designed to help u skip multiple lines. I often have typos but i do think @ryan1 was correct.

I think they wont be as long for the headliners.

1 Like

As a system, it’s definitely correct. But in the context of a park, in which all the rides have been reclassified Tier 1, and you’re only able to select one of them…

1 Like

rides != lines

While all rides have lines, not all lines are for rides.

ETA: Also keep in mind that once you get through your initial 3 FPPs, you can obtain additional same-day FPPs, even for Tier 1s. The likelihood of those Tier 1s having same-day FPPs available is now higher.