New Barbecue Restaurant at American Pavilion

That’s weird. Broiling, by definition, means you are heating from above. Grilling means, by definition, you are heating from below. How can you guys have it 100% backwards. :thinking:

2 Likes

CTechnically it’s 180 degrees backwards.

But we Grill from above. So there. :stuck_out_tongue:

And here’s the Collins dictionary definition showing the same. It also shows the equivalent American word is Broil.

1 Like

But it is illogical. Think about what a grill is. Like a grill of a car, etc. Rows of open slats, or bars, etc. So a grill for cooking requires that kind of layout so the heat can come from below, etc.

If you call it grilling from above, it is ignoring the reason it is called a grill to begin with.

The grill, as you say, is a row of vents or bars.

That’s what we have on the top of our ovens, a row of heating elements. Why does the heat have to come from below? When the dictionary definition tells you it can come from above or below?

We don’t call it grilling from above. We call it grilling.

Think about this. Grilled cheese. Now we call it cheese on toast. But how do you get grilled cheese by cooking it from below? That won’t melt the cheese. You should call it broiled cheese surely?

1 Like

Yes, you do put the sandwich in the pan so it is heated from below.

If there is no top slice on it, that is cheese toast and is made in a toaster.

How do make it in a toaster without the cheese dripping out?

You put in a grill pan under the grill.

If you want a toastie, with melted cheese in the middle of two slices you make it in a toastie maker, namely a George Foreman’s grill!

1 Like

I don’t have a pop-up toaster. Those are scary. I have a toaster oven so the toast slides in parallel to the counter rather than perpendicular.

1 Like

I mean, if she was Australian it would make sense having it upside down. :grin:

Am I the only one who wants more information? There has to be a story.

And you can make grilled cheese in them if you lay the toaster on its side. :joy:

2 Likes

I just never liked the surprise element of the pop up. Plus it is too easy for things to get stuck - too many moving parts. Toaster ovens are easier.

1 Like

tumblr_o1skrpsMxs1uv963fo1_500

5 Likes

Way.

I grew up with a toaster and a toaster oven. But having the latter makes the former redundant. So, when we got married, we got a toaster oven.

Of courses grilled cheese sandwiches aren’t made in a toaster oven, but in a frying pan or griddle.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to make them on a grill. It’s right there in the name.

1 Like

It is in the name because you heat them from below in the open, which is the definition of grilling.

2 Likes

Much better than broiled cheese

We invented the language! It’s not our fault that you Americans couldn’t cope with it and had to make up silly words like broiler because you got confused what a grill is.

1 Like

Well, a few things don’t fit in a toaster oven, but yeah.

And exactly!! But cheese toast can be! :smiley:

You’re gonna have to try harder. Broiler comes from Middle English. It predates our country’s existence!

2 Likes

Some steps to making an American Grilled Cheese Sandwich:

Prepare bread with butter, and have your preferred cheeses available.

Heat the pan or griddle.

Cook until cheese starts to melt.

Assemble, cut, and serve (here, with Doritos).

did you consider putting Doritos inside the sandwich?