Need help settling an argument

My wife and I have had an ongoing discussion for a while now and I’m hoping that some of you on here can give some insight.

We live in Missouri and usually plan a WDW trip every 2-3 years. My wife often finds herself daydreaming about moving to central Florida, becoming an AP, and spending every weekend at WDW. She even goes so far as envisioning herself employed as a cast member.

I contend that with that level of WDW saturation, visits to the parks would become pedestrian events. I try telling her that currently WDW trips are big deals that require planning and sacrifice making them more special and exciting.

I figured there might be people on this board that have lived something close to both of these scenarios and maybe they could tell me if I’m crazy or not.

3 Likes

You’re wife wins.

11 Likes

I lived local as a cast member for a summer. I never tired of going to the parks. But I loved my job and the people I worked with so it made me happy whether I was working or just there for entertainment.

It wasn’t the same as a vacation in the bubble though — that is a different and special feeling. And this was prekids so I have no idea if their experience would be affected.

I would guess it probably depends on the person/family. My mom used to chat up cast members and whenever she met a retiree like driving a WDW bus or something she thought to herself she would enjoy that (and I bet she would have). My dad likes the vacations but I think immersion would have tainted it for him and he is more of an introvert so the constant meeting people didn’t appeal to him like it did to my mom.

2 Likes

There are as many answers as there are people here…

4 Likes

I have those same dreams. But I think to still get the full effect, I would want to continue to plan onsite stays. Sure, popping into Epcot for dinner or to experience some festival booths would probably become a normal occasion. As would an evening in Tomorrowland or Toy Story Land. But I wouldn’t expect it to have the same level of magic as actually vacationing at Disney World. So we would still keep our DVC points and spend extended time there. Or maybe we would just move into an RV at Ft. Wilderness. I’ve already let my husband know that I fully intend to be one of those people that spends the holiday season with a decked out site every year once we’re retired.

6 Likes

So it seems like you guys are telling me that my wife is right…gee thanks a lot.

8 Likes

I’ve been coming to Disney world since 1971 when it opened, and I never get tired of going! I have lived in Florida four separate occasions as a resident, just moved back for the final time, final move. We are passholders and while we’ve only been back two weeks we plan to make use of them,. One time when we lived here and we all had APs we came once a month on a weekend, we lived about a 3 1/2 hour drive away in Lee county at the time. The kids did get tired of going, but A couple of them were teenagers and that explains so many behaviors… My husband comes along with me and Pokémon‘s because there are so many of them in the park, he humors me. I try to have other trips so that he will continue to indulge my Disney fixation. We became DVC members last December with Home resort as Aulani but have not been able to go cuz of C-19. Every cast member I’ve ever talk to, of age, have been there for decades and love working there.

4 Likes

Look you can’t come to a Disney addict forum (I mean, that’s what this really is) and expect us to say “No! More Disney is bad!”

11 Likes

Yeah I was anticipating this response. I just feel if one never leaves the bubble then one can’t fully appreciate the bubble.

2 Likes

@cbcremer I’m with you. I like that WDW is something special to plan and look forward to. The anticipation is part of the fun. I think it would be less magical for me if it was a regular weekend activity. That said, I still dream about frequent visits, DVC, etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been pricing a DVC membership but I’d still be unlikely to go more than once every year or even every other year.

2 Likes

I would live in the bubble if I could.

Of course I’m suffering massive withdrawals just now

I need a fix

5 Likes

Having never lived in Florida I can’t really speak intelligently on this which is why I was looking for people who have had it both ways.

2 Likes

I’m actually with you on this, I have no desire to live near WDW but love to visit. I want all the bells and whistles of a vacation, not day trips. I am happy to fly into Cali or Florida multiple times a year to visit the parks, but I have no desire to live here for some reason.

2 Likes

the trouble is the last day before leaving the bubble is the hardest and most sad :cry::disappointed_relieved: On that day if I’ve not already made the next reservation I’m planning the next trip. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

How about a compromise. Would you be able to visit once a year? Or is that too much constant planning/money?

1 Like

If you want fodder for your side listen to the very recent wdwprep podcast where she talks to someone named Casey who is leaving Orlando. :slight_smile:

I daydream about moving to Orlando all the time. (I would actually prefer Anaheim except it’s too expensive and California traffic is nuts - no offense. :wink:) But we are so settled in here in AZ with home, family, friends that the more likely scenario would be taking longer / more frequently trips as we get older. I like to think staying away will make it more special. But under different circumstances, I would move there in a heartbeat.

5 Likes

If I moved to Florida, I would want to live at St Augustine. I like their beach. A former coworker had two sisters living in Florida and wanted her to move back. She elected not to because she didn’t like the bugs. I am in Pennsylvania. We get the seasons and the last couple of winters have been milder.

2 Likes

Lou Mongello, who does the WDW Radio podcast had a two-parter a couple of years ago about moving to Orlando/Disney with a panel of people who have done it. It’s worth listening to.

5 Likes