Need help settling an argument

Hah- I have one of those husbands. My bet is that YOU humor him (and his Pokemon) a lot more!

I don’t live by WDW but I do live by Yellowstone, and I would go there every day if I could. I have asked DH if he would mind being a campground host one summer. My feeling is that the more you are there, the more things you’ll see that you (and most people) would otherwise never experience. I bet the same is true of WDW, or Paris or Rome or any other magical place.

4 Likes

Hahaha I was just thinking, I’ll allow it (citizen) to get my WD fix. On the last big family trip hubby and sons (15, 25) got up early to take a Pokémon gym on resort property. Yellowstone is amazing. I hope to go back one day.

1 Like

I dream about retiring to the Orlando area some day as well. Retirement comes in three years. DS will be in high school, but as he is becoming more and more interested in being a marine biologist, he is all for moving (at this time anyway! :blush:) I would love to put my teaching career and biology degree to use and work at Animal Kingdom…someday…maybe?..:blush:

8 Likes

Was there an overall consensus about anything?

Yes… you’re right!

:wink:

4 Likes

Wait are you playing with words? Who’s right, wife or husband?

1 Like

All of them felt good about it if I remember. They all said they had the initial rush of going as much as possible but have settled into a more relaxed attitude where they are still magical but they don’t have to be there all the time. (Obviously this was before the reservation system.) Most live close enough they can see some of the fireworks when those happen and still find them magical.

2 Likes

They both are. He’s right…that everyone is saying she’s right!

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

I know a family who moved to Destin to be near Disney (and for other reasons, but that was a factor) and they are very happy. They have AP and go every 2 - 3 months, sometimes more. It’s still special to go and they seem to like their trips. They have a big family and a big RV and will do a few days sometimes at a hotel to be there then switch to the campsite.

My sister would agree. She didn’t think she’d ever get to that point, feeling that two 2-week trips every year would be awesome.

When we did a spate of annual trips, she found she wasn’t anticipating each trip quite as much. She was more excited at the thought of going when she went every 2nd or 3rd year.

Just so you don’t get too happy, her adult daughter wants to move to Florida and work at Disney but then she loves Florida, particularly the beaches - any time of year.

My sister, tho, is not a fan of warm weather. January or February WDW trips are the best.

As was mentioned here, everybody’s different and your wife might always be in the bubble. :neutral_face:

1 Like

My sister also has a non Disney timeshare that is phenomenal. She can exchange into DVC thru a mediator company - when there’s availability - or directly with points at a couple of properties a few miles from the Disney Springs hotels that have some of the same Disney perks.

I can’t for the life of me think of the name of that timeshare. :crazy_face:

eta: DH and I used to talk about dragging our camper down to Fort Wilderness for a month in the winter but campsites have not been as available in recent years.

I am currently in the process of moving to central FL this week from VA. I can’t speak to the end experience but I can share my thoughts on making the decision. I do think it’s something that will vary greatly from family to family. I follow a few moving to orlando groups and it’s interesting to hear how vast the experiences are. It’s perfect for some, not at all for others. For my family our goal wasn’t purely for WDW. That’s only one perk. Being in FL allows us to have a much larger home, not deal with winter weather, hop over to the beach for lunch, have a pool for the kids, etc… We both work from home and are coming from an area with a much higher cost of living so the move just works for us. I think it’s important to look at the big picture and make sure the FL lifestyle works for you and your family.

I do also have a fear of losing the planned trips and the excitement that goes along with them. I currently have a few nights booked at Poly for early 2021 so I can get my fix of staying on site. :grin:

3 Likes

I would never tire of that. It would be like saying you’ve seen enough of the Northern Lights, or the Eiffel Tower lit up at night.

Never going to happen.

I think this is key point. We also make a point of staying at a lodge or even camping in Yellowstone even though we’re within driving distance. You might lose that feeling of being in the bubble if you’re not actually in the bubble. Driving home at night would pop the bubble, I think.

2 Likes

We - DH, DD2@14 and me - worked one summer at a Colorado guest ranch on a railroad line. I never got tired of hearing the train whistle echoing in the canyon. Well, it was only daily for 4 months. But still . . . hard to imagine that sound getting old.

I used to work at one of our City facilities that is right on Puget Sound. The views are remarkable. I won’t say that I got tired of it, but I did become almost blind to it on a day to day basis. I had to remind myself occasionally to take a moment and just appreciate the view. Not many people have a view like that (sometimes with whales!) out their office window. I could see being that close to WDW or DLR in the same way. You would need to remind yourself now and then how special it all is and really take a moment to appreciate it.

3 Likes

I think I’m with @Wahoohokie on this one too. I’m not going to lie, we have sometimes fantasized about living in Orlando. But, I feel like part of the magic starts when we arrive at MCO, take DME to the resort, and leave the rest of the real world completely behind for a few days. For me, it’s all about being immersed completely in the bubble.

4 Likes

We’ve never stayed in the bubble. Our one and only (so far) trip to WDW we stayed in a VRBO with my DB and DSIL. We drove to the parks each day. When we go to DLR we never stay onsite. It’s just too expensive. Sometimes we stay near my daughter’s college and drive in from there. It’s horrible to be in the car after 12+ hours at the parks and have to drive another 60-90 minutes to get to your bed! But we are about to go to WDW and stay at AKL-Kidani. I am so excited to experience the bubble for really the first time!

9 Likes

Hope you have a great time! It really is a magical experience. Not worth the money EVERY time (at least assuming budget is a concern), but can be worth a splurge every once in a while, or at least once in a lifetime!

2 Likes

We’ve stayed offsite at WDW and have had a fantastic time too. We’ve never stayed at AKL, but that should be an amazing time!

I can see not staying onsite at DLR since all the non-Disney hotels are just as (or almost) as close. I priced out staying at Paradise Pier and a standard room was still more expensive than a club level suite at the Marriott a few blocks away. That is just ridiculous.

3 Likes