NDR: What is everyone reading?

I just started Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. Got great reviews but not loving it so far.

@ThatDisneyGuy_outer1 did you read Joyland? I think I read it in three days. Loved it! Also loved 11/22/63 @fallgirl.

I am an avid reader myself (started a book club a while back but no one read the book. I am fine with discussing other topics and drinking LOTS of wine but we didn’t discuss the book at all and that annoyed me. So if anyone wants to discuss, please contact me.

Anyway, if anyone wants a good recommendation, read Kate Morton, all her books have been fabulous. (No, I am not affiliated with her in any way)

That was me until 11/22/63 and then I read Joyland and loved it. Was more of a mystery than a horror story.

The lack of discussion of the book is the reason I have not remained a part of any book clubs LOL I actually WANT to talk about what I read!

We should start our own book club @Disneyconsigliere. Strict rule: no talking about anything not directly related to the book :wink:

4 Likes

Man I wish you lived near me!!!

1 Like

Well now that we’re not limited here you can have an online book club… Bring Your Own Wine lol

6 Likes

You had to ask an English teacher what she’s reading…
I finished City of Heavenly Fire yesterday (6th book in City of Bones series). I’m currently reading a David Sedaris book, and I’ve got As I Lay Dying lined up after that. I never have time during the school year to read for fun, so I cram about 20 books in each summer. Any more suggestions out there?

1 Like

I like the sound of this! The last book club that I belonged to we did discuss the book. Yes, wine was enjoyed by most but the discussions were really good. Unfortunately I moved and haven’t found a group to join.

1 Like

I just finished Theme Park Design because our trip to WDW is getting closer and I can’t get enough Disney, and I’m reading Head Over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy, which I’m enjoying very much as I’m an expatriate 10 months a year.

Will you moderate @ThatDisneyGuy_outer1??

No, I haven’t, but it looks good! Mr. Mercedes also looks good - like a cross between 11/22/63 and that Cormac McCarthy book, No Country for Old Men.

So happy there is a book thread! Our book club just finished Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, The Goldfinch, Olive Kitteridge, Gone Girl, and the Hugh Howey Wool series the last few months. I am working on Fall of Giants right now also by Ken Follett.

I read mostly on Kindle, does anyone else?

2 Likes

I could get in on this action. :slight_smile:

Kindle reader here! Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorite books ever. How are you enjoying Fall of Giants @DisneyTikiGirl? I’m really looking forward to reading Winter of the World.

I really like it, it has been hard to put down. It is a little slow at times but only for a few pages at a time. I still like the characters in Pillars a bit better. I am looking forward to reading the whole series.

1 Like

I will not mock, since I can go one further. Not only am I an avid sci fi and fantasy reader, I’m an avid YA sci fi and fantasy reader. I also like post apocalyptic stuff. Some of my faves: Harry Potter, Hunger Games, City of Ember :smiley:

4 Likes

I agree…Pillars of the Earth is awesome!

2 Likes

I would be in if it started!

For those John Green fans, Paper Towns is also a good one to try. If you like dystopia, I enjoyed a trilogy by Lauren Oliver: Delirium Pandemonium, and Requiem…It’s a world where “love” is considered a disease to be eliminated.

2 Likes

Wow! This book thread really took off while I wasn’t looking! I never did make it to the library today so I’m finishing up The Thinking Woman’s Guide to Real Magic (it’s quite good) while the family reads their own books.

DS10 is reading Harry Potter 7. DS7 is reading Sea of Monsters (Lightning Thief sequel) and DH is reading The Thieftaker (a colonial era fantasy.)

You’re speaking my language @wdwfan29!!!

1 Like