Na'vi Rope Drop strategy?

Trip getting closer (T-Minus 21 days!), so starting to work details. With good advice earlier, I am following the Overlords plan of doing Na’vi at RD then have an FPP for FoP later in the morning.

QUESTION: What is the best strategy for getting to Na’vi knowing the stampede is for FoP? Is it all one stampede to Avatar Land with 95% of folk peeling off for FoP and I head off to Na’vi? Have not been to AK since adding Avatar Land, so any advice appreciated. Also, not afraid to get there early, but assume for Na’vi don’t quite need to get there 90 minutes before RD. CLs for the two days are predicted to be 5 and 7.

will

1 Like

Hmm, think I just found a good post titled “FP for FOP at AK is insane!” where Twobits has a video. Kind of inspires me back to doing FoP first! Must not ignore the Overlords!

will

1 Like

The FoP crowd will be much larger/crazier.

Per this site, you can get to AK when it opens and still be okay for NRJ. I am planning on getting there about a half hour early in the hopes that I can at least get through security before the 9 am opening time - though I’ve never been before, so I’m not 100% sure how that’ll work out.

The [last] holding area [in AK before they let guests queue up for attractions] is just past the entrances to Tiffins and Nomad Lounge… By 8:35am, the mass extends back to Discovery Island and continues around the corner. And at 8:36am, we’re off. …If you’re not relatively close to the front of this mass of humanity, you probably don’t want to go to Avatar Flight of Passage first thing. Na’vi River Journey, on the other hand, is just fine even if you arrive at the main entrance right at 9am and don’t make it back here until 9:15am.

FWIW, I have heard the advice to avoid AK on am EMH days, even if you’re staying on site and can access the park early. My understanding is that the CL are so high on those days that it’s not worth it to do AK even with the extra time.

2 Likes

The attractions in Pandora start loading about 15 minutes before official rope drop ( or at least the line is walking towards the loading areas). Give yourself more time!

2 Likes

If you’re only planning to spend the morning in the park then EMH is probablly still worth it.

1 Like

All: Thanks, all good advice. Since it looks like it is the same stampede for both FoP and NRJ initially, I am thinking of making an “on the fly” decision. If we are able to get near the front, go ahead and ride FoP first, then NRJ. If not looking good, just ride NRJ and wait for our FPPs to do FoP later. Cool part is if we are early enough, reward is two FoP rides that day!

One of the days is an EMH day (CL5), so 90 mins before 8am is going to be early. Is the general rule about busses starting 90 mins before park opening reference the EMH opening or the “regular” opening? Hopefully the former. Highly prefer buses if they can get us there early enough.

will

@PrincipalTinker, I’m staying at POR and planning on getting to the bus stop at 7:30. I’ve generally been estimating that it’ll take an hour to get to a park in the early am, which puts me at AK at 8:30. What would you recommend? Getting to the bus stop at 7:00? I will have two little ones with me (3 and 5) who aren’t great at waiting around, so I don’t want to get there too early, but I don’t want to waste park time either!

@Tate, thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I would be at the bus stop at 7:00. Is Uber an option for you?

2 Likes

Good to know! Thanks!

Both my kids need car seats, so Uber isn’t an option. My understanding is that Minnie Vans still have erratic availability, so I’d rather not rely on them. Plus, they’re kind of pricey for just a regular trip to a RD. (DH and I discussed bringing a booster for the 5 yo and using an Uber with a car seat, but ultimately decided against it.) Thanks for the thought, though.

I would look into small inflateable travel seats, you can always deflate them later and store in the buggy

POR buses can be “challenging” at times. Well, I think you can say that about most resort buses from time to time.

1 Like

I’m planning to RD Na’vi on a regular 9am opening day, since we scored FPP for FOP. Do the lines for the two rides split once you get to Pandora? I’m a little nervous about getting stuck behind FOP riders and not being able to find the right line for NRJ since I’ve never been to AK before, and I’ll be leading the way for my family!

1 Like

Bluebird32:

I can’t seem to find a way to put in a link, but if you search for the forum topic "FP for FOP at AK is insane!”, there is a video part way down that shows the path. Looks like you are all part of the initial stampeded and split off as you get into Avatar land. Stop before the end if you don’t want any spoilers as there is video of the ride in there too. I’m in the same situation as you. Hopefully with that video as a primer and making sure i get a good map I’ll be set.

will

1 Like

The two rides are clearly marked. You won’t have any problems knowing which way to go. You’ll see the Navi sign before you’ll see the FOP sign.

1 Like

JenniferB1975: Thanks for confirming, feel more prepared (believe this is a Liner thing! :slight_smile: )

We were there last week (week prior to easter) for EMH and did Navi. Arrived about 6:30 for 7:00 open. They had already let people go into the park. We had no issue walking right onto Navi and rode it twice before hitting the rest of the park. Rode Navi 2x, EE 4x, Primevil Whirl and Dinosaur 2x before 8:30

4 Likes

So they opened the gates before the scheduled opening time? That’s crazy. Do you know how much earlier?

I’m not positive but we were there again on Good Friday. 8am open no EMH. They opened the tapstiles at about 7:35. We did not head to Pandora that day. They held us at the entrance to Asia until 7:55. I heard they held Dino land until 8:00.

Fedorad:

Days like that are ones to cherish! I’ve had some days like that at every park but DHS which I i figure is just because there are so few rides that you only get that no-line experience on just the first ride. Family luckily does get it on “show up early!”, so not too much complaining.

will