I was finally getting to the point where I thought I could take a break from planning my October trip until ADR day in April. But no… I’ve been listening to Backside of Magic and each time they’ve discussed DVC I’ve become more interested. So, this morning I finally did some of my own research using David’s DVC cost calculator. Well, it turns out that I can switch to 1-bedroom DVC at the same resorts I had already booked (Contemporary and Boardwalk), and the price is pretty close to a wash:
- $6,981 for 4 nights @CR (garden wing), 4 nights @BWI (lake view), 8 day park hopper
- $6,912 for 4 nights @BLT (lake view), 4 nights @BWV (standard view), 8 day park hopper, plus travel insurance (in case trip is canceled)
Here are my thoughts. Please let me know if I’m overlooking anything! Sorry in advance to @OBNurseNH if my plans change yet again!
- We’ll have DS4, DS3, and DD1, so having the extra space of the DVC 1-bedroom would make a HUGE difference, especially during mid-day breaks (hopefully some napping happens)
- taking that further, I’m running the W&D races, and I think sneaking out of the room at 330AM would be easier in the DVC 1-bedroom
- having a full kitchen and in-room laundry would be a big plus too, but we could get by without them
- the only big problem I’m having with the DVC route is the inability to cancel the trip (we would get trip insurance for that scenario, which I’ve quoted online at about $200). DS3 had cancer last year and there is a chance (up to 30%) that it could recur
All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!