My friend's last minute Christmas trip, aka "Make me say Ooooof! Na na na naaaa" (edited first post)

This seriously triggered my anxiety. :sweat_smile::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can’t imagine going to WDW during Christmas week. It just wouldn’t be fun to me. But if someone is set on it and has super low expectations, I guess they could piece together a fun time! They would have to choose like one ride every two hours and consider anything above that gravy.

Definitely get Genie+ and ILL (which will be tough for some attractions since they’re offsite). Maybe just ride magic carpets and triceratops spin all day. :rofl:

13 Likes

I should have stopped at “I’m 100% clueless about all things Disney” , but no, I kept reading until I got to the part “we are not staying on a Disney property, if that changes anything”.

Ooooof

12 Likes

Ask them to write a trip report. I’m legit curious how this is going to go. Now, seriously, best of luck to your friends.

8 Likes

That’s kind of how I’m approaching it… like, manage expectations and make wise choices given the situation. I’ve had a trip where it was supposed to be CL 2-4 for the whole thing, then they announced the ProBowl was going to be in Orlando that weekend, so it bumped is up to CL 6-8… the actual observed CLs were 8-10.

We still managed to have a good time, even with unexpectedly crazy crowds, but it’s because after seeing how much worse the crowds were on the first day (which was Wednesday, not even the weekend yet) we dialed it back a notch and told the kids to each pick 2 rides per day, and remember that a day at Disney in January is better than a day at school or work in Michigan.

5 Likes

I read it and thought “But no, she must mean next year. She has to mean next year. Please, mean next year!”

When I immediately told her the first issue would be reservations, and explained how limited they are, she was like “Wow. How did you find that out so fast!” Well, I might have those links bookmarked, but I pretty much already knew even before I looked.

13ft3r

20 Likes

I had a friend take her daughters to Epcot last week. We talked about Genie+ in advance and the importance of selecting Remy as her first LL (or at least something like Test Track or Frozen or Soarin). She texted at 7:05am to say how excited she was to get Pixar Short Film Fest as her first LL at 9:00am. You can’t save everyone…

23 Likes

Oh my! I mean, if she was happy then that’s what matters, but… ouch.

I do sometimes have to step back and wonder how many of us here are maximizers, vs. satisficers.

That’s a theory in psychology that says everyone is one of the two when it comes to making decisons and plans… maximizers are always seeking out something better (better job, better deal, more bang for your buck kind of mindset), while satisficers are generally more likely to look at what’s right in front of them and make do with whatever is the best of the available options. Both have advantages and disadvantages, though when you’re very much one it’s nearly impossible to understand why anyone would want to be the other.

16 Likes

I like this a lot. I’m clearly a maximizer. DH is easily satisfied.

Also, it’s easy to overlook how impactful just being in a park is if you’ve never been. At MK, in Adventureland, look how different Aladdin’s Magic Carpets and surrounding areas are from real life. The Carpets are well themed, the camels spit, and there is a veritable treasure in the pavement.

Last June we were parked on a bench watching the characters up on the train station. I was feeling kinda sorry that hugging was not happening. Until I noticed - really saw - the expression on the face of a little girl of about 4. She was walking past the train station, looking up at the characters with such a wonderful look. She was amazed and content to be able to see Tigger, Pooh, Piglet and Eeyore, in person. It was incredible and joyous at the same time.

15 Likes

Oooft indeed!! :persevere:
Good luck @Nikkipoooo
I hope your friends have a super trip :crossed_fingers:t2:

5 Likes

I can’t even.
This is terrible.

7 Likes

Oh wow! Our first visit before we lived here was the week of Christmas. It was actually fantastic and we did just about everything we wanted to.

But I spent at least 6 months before planning it!!!

I really hope they go in with very low expectations and have a little bit of fun.

12 Likes

This. If someone goes in with no expectations they’re less likely to be disappointed. Now, not even being able to into the park though is another story.

6 Likes

I’m glad I read this in the morning so I could avoid all of the stress nightmares this would have caused last night.

I had a close friend take their kids during spring break one year without enough plans and they were all miserable and swore they would never go back to WDW. The only bright side is I figured that by not going back over and over, like my family has, they have probably saved themselves $30k.

12 Likes

They cite this as a reason for having them - so people don’t show up and the park is at capacity.

So instead people show up and don’t have a reservation. :woman_shrugging::sleepy:

4 Likes

See, I now have proof my Welbutrin is working :joy::rofl::joy:

Because I am like, “I love thos spontaneous lady, we are going ro make this work!”

And I loved being there last year between Cristmas and New Years, so I am pre-desposed against it.

My suggestions -

1. Hoppers
  2. Park Reservations
  3. G+
  4. BG1
  5. set an ADR watch for a princess meal (is Askerhaus with princesses now?)
  6. pick 2-3 things they want to do in each park (but not the top 3 most popular in each) include meet and greets.
  7. since they are staying offsite, they need a car! No off site shuttles for this trip allowed or all their time will be on a bus or waiting for one.

I am a funny mix between maximizer and satisficer. I try to maximize within the reality if my situation. Bit that does rely on an having an accurate impression of the situation.

Question - how many days is the trip? I read three but then saw she made the plans 3 days ago.

I’m feeling itchy to give them an acheivable itinerary!

13 Likes

“oof” indeed.

20 Likes

Yeah, by convincing her that:

1. Everyone in the know does SB for SM and gets G+ for Magic Carpets
  2. Olivia’s is an impossible ADR to get - lucky you!
  3. Dinosaur is the best attraction in AK (that, and walking the trails).
14 Likes

A-ha! I already have an AK plan in mind. Get a safari LL for opening. Tap in and pick up an EE. Get ER rider swap, one parent rides with 9 year old, the other takes 4 year old on Triceritops spin and then over to the boneyard. The other parent switches rides again with 9 yo. At the EE tap in, get a Navi LL. Then walk some trails or watch the bird show, then head out, stopping by Navi (then start booking LL for MK) and getting a Night Blossom. With alcohol for the parents.

Consider taking a midday break and heading to MK after the midday rush. Depends on how the 4 yo rolls with later evening.

For me it honestly all depends.on 4 yo’s temperament!

8 Likes

No idea what to do with this situation. I have enough problems when I typically wait til about 75 days out to start booking and planning anything (for non-holiday times), but this is pretty nuts. I guess the hope is that ignorance is bliss, and that just being there is a decent baseline of enjoyment without thinking about how inefficiently time and money are likely being used.

8 Likes

I submit that Genie+/LL are hindrances to this family having a great time.

Yes, they need to know about park reservations and park hopping.

They need to know that MK is miles away from AK.

They need to know it’s OK to park at any park and use Disney transport to another park. Furthering their together at Disney time.

They need to know to pick a couple of rides/attractions in each park that they focus on. The rest is gravy.

They need the option of stopping and watching whatever entertainment presents itself. Afternoon parade, Kevin, sounds of the choirs at Candlelight Processional.

They need to be able to explore with intent.

Very few of our top best feels at WDW involved rides. (ymmv)

7 Likes