My first go at a trip report. Days 1-3

At the poly they gave me a real crib in November! So they do have them if you want to ask.

Not sure it’s weird or a glitch. I think you are in the right place at the right time when one of (at least) tens of thousands of other people are dropping/modifying their fastpasses. Just like someone might scoop up the one you modify because it suits their needs better. By refreshing, you are just getting an update list of what’s available. What’s available changes every second because there are so many other people changing their plans.

3 Likes

Loving the report so far! Can’t wait to read more :slight_smile:
My son (1 y/o) wouldn’t sleep in the pack and play either. We put him in it the first night and he stood up and started screeching (seriously, never heard this sound from him before). So we took the pack and play and put it upside down between the two beds making it into kind of a bed rail (saw that trick somewhere on here…it was a perfect fit) and put pillows at the end of the bed, and my husband was kind of the third “edge” of the bed for him. Then my daughter and I shared a bed. Not ideal, especially since the kids are so wiggly while they sleep, but at least the kids slept well! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From what I’ve heard, the software gives priority to people modifying an existing FP because it knows you are in the park. So less of a glitch and more of a feature.

2 Likes

This is so much fun to follow along with! And I’m glad your parents were able to come along too!

(And for the record I 100% looked at your username and said, “Must be a Maryland alum,” but I went to colleg in Pennsylvania. :smiley:)

1 Like

It looked like “terp” to me … figured you were a Terrapin.

What was the general difference in how your 2 y/o experienced WDW vs your 1 y/o? We took our son when he was 1 last year and plan to go again when he is 2 this year. I’m trying to plan our trip and guess how he will be different this year. I suspect he will be about 34 inches when we go so still won’t be able to go on any of the “big” rides. He also needed a few hour break at the resort each afternoon to nap/rest/snack.

1 Like

This is great! I’ll be there in a few weeks with a barely 5 and a just under 3, so it’s great to see how your guys are doing! I’m really hoping the little guy will be able to power through with some stroller naps/relaxing, but will have to wait and see!

1 Like

True. And it’s deceptive, because the 3 options they show you are being held just for you to pick from in that moment. So that’s why you can see nothing, then 2 time choices, then nothing, and then 3 completely different time choices.

1 Like

Thank you the web sight said it does not participate in the dining plane, I thought it was a mistake.

1 Like

What does priority mean in this case? Priority over what? This is interesting, but it’s not explained. Priority over people modifying fastpasses for an upcoming trip? And how is the priority displayed?

Awesome report! Yes! The fastpass technique works awesome in MK!

2 Likes

Interesting, I’ve never heard that before.

Off to an amazing start! Thanks for letting me tag along!

1 Like

I’m not sure if there’s an official explanation, but for the really popular FPs that sell out, it seems almost impossible to find a single FP available for them. But if you already have a FP for a ride you know is sold out, often you’ll find a choice or two of times when you try to modify.

This is what I’ve heard too.

They ran out of cribs! So we got a pack and play. At this point he’s gotten used to it; otherwise, I might have kept asking until we got one.

1 Like

@davej So, actually I’ve been referring to DS1 and DS2 to imply first and second born. They are actually 4.5 and 1.5 yrs old respectively.

Nevertheless, we took DS2 when he was about 10 months (last April) and now when he is 18 months. The most important difference is that he wasn’t walking at 10 months, and now at 18 months he is running everywhere. So keeping tabs on him is difficult. But otherwise, he has been really good on every ride we’ve been on. Some of the shows have been a little more trying; expecting him to sit still for 30 minutes is a stretch.

He’s also eating a lot more, so we find ourselves ordering 2 kid’s meals now.

1 Like

Day 3

So, waking up this morning was not quite as easy after staying out for HEA last night. But I caught this nice morning view of the marina at the Poly.

We were planning on making for rope drop at AK this morning. But we were running a little late, so we decided to try out the Minnie vans. They are super expensive, but they’re convenient and they’re equipped with 2 car seats, which is just what we needed. The CMs that drive them are super well versed in everything Disney and we had an interesting chat about some esoteric Disney stuff, like the theory on trash can placement in the parks!

We arrived at AK 30 minutes after rope drop, but we still managed to walk right on to KS with no wait.

We used FP+ for Navi River Journey and for Dinosaur! right after KS, which was a good choice because both had 60 minute waits for most of the day.

Then we spent some leisure time exploring Dinoland and digging up dinosaur bones!

Lunch was at Flametree BBQ, which is an awesome deal if you’re on the dining plan. The St Louis rib platter was massive and incredibly delicious! Most of the afternoon was spent wandering the trails and watching the shows. DS1 and DS2 had fun dancing at all the various dance parties and music shows along the way.

We also snuck in a quick show at A Bug’s Life, which DS1 enjoyed, but DS2 not so much. It’s definitely a little intense for little kids.

We ended up doing the ROL Dining package at Tusker House, figuring this was a good way to continue to maximize the value of the Dining Plan. It turned out to be a really smart move, because we didn’t have to show up to the ROL theater until about 15 minutes until showtime, freeing up some time for other things. We were really pleased with TH. The food was definitely on the exotic side, but even DS1, who is a little picky, enjoyed the food. And the character interaction was fun. The size and energy level of TH is on par with Crystal Palace, so the character interaction wasn’t quite as much as we had at GG on Day 1. But it was still fun!

After dinner, my dad and I rode EE with our last FP+, which is still one of my all time favorites. It’s a really well done coaster by any definition. The others did a little shopping until it was time for ROL. None of us have ever seen ROL before, so it was well-worth it for us. I don’t know if I’d do it again though. The visual beauty is striking, but there’s no story line like Fantasmic! and it’s nowhere near as awesome as HEA.

Well, another long day is in the books. My final thoughts on AK with kids are these: 1) I enjoy AK because of the uniqueness of the rides, but there’s just not a whole lot for really little kids like DS2 to do here. I planned 2 days here (and we will be back, because we have FP+ for FOP), but in the future I’d plan one day. 2) AK needs more rides. Kali River was closed for refurb. Rafiki’s Planet Watch is closed. FOP had a 3 hour wait. EE, FOP, Primeval Whirl all have height requirements that prevent many kids from riding. So that left us just walking around taking in a lot of the non-ride attractions most of the day. That’s fine, but both of our kids are not big into shows either though.

Ok, well off to bed. We have another long day tomorrow, with PPO Akershus and a jaunt around World Showcase in store! See you all soon, and thanks for following!

13 Likes

Looks like another fun day.
I think you should try to see FOTLK on your next AK day.

1 Like

Yes, that is definitely on my list. We did the Nemo show today, which DS1 liked (DS2 fell asleep in my arms). We will do FOTLK next time!

1 Like