My Children's Worst Trip to Walt Disney World Ever (A Live Trip Report)

It’s the law in most states that a standard birth cannot be asked to leave before 48 hours, and 72 hours for a C Section.
But, in the UK, you get home visits if you need/want them… Once you’re out in the US, you don’t see another medical person for 6 weeks unless there’s a problem.

6 Likes

That terrifies me to hear.

7 Likes

Yes you do whether you need or want them or not, though less now than when I had either of mine (26 and 16). I had a visit every day for 2 weeks.

2 Likes

Why? My understanding is that they get home visits after they are discharged.

2 Likes

And don’t a decent percentage of moms in the UK give birth at home anyway? Or am I watching too much Call the Midwife?

4 Likes

A daily home visit is not the same as being on the floor with emergency intervention immediately available. The first 24 hours after delivery are the most risky. And baby is at risk too.

7 Likes

The first 24 hours after childbirth can give rise to many issues, including related to blood loss, clotting, aggravation of pre-existing conditions, etc. My wife passed out in the bathroom after our first son was born - thank goodness a nurse was assisting her and caught her fall.

I love how this has become a nursing / labor / delivery thread. :joy:

13 Likes

I was thinking the same, about the thread going off the rails :smiley:

4 Likes

Way too much Call the Midwife.

ETA I had no idea so I googled. About 2%.

2 Likes

:rofl: ok not a lot!

My apologies for contributing to the childbirth derail!

3 Likes

Thank you for the trip report! Brought back so many memories of past WDW trips with my kids (and nursing and weaning!) My kids are now 10, 8, 4 and 10-months, and I would have been very happy with your vacation days even non-pandemic. Sounds like you had as perfect of a trip as can be with young children. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

The US infant mortality rate is 5.8 whereas the UK is 4.3.

3 Likes

Well said.

3 Likes

I appreciate the childbirth derail! I’m very passionate about childbirth! I love it. I love giving birth, I love seeing birth, I love hearing about birth. It is the epitome of beauty and life in my eyes, even so much as death and tragedy are also a part of it.

My perspective is quite different as a woman who gave birth to both her babies at home. Intentionally. A little education goes a long way. Are there complications after birth? Yes. Are there for a majority of women with uncomplicated vaginal births? No. Do those complications often come from nowhere with no warning signs? For sure, not. But this is not a part of American childbirth education. Childbirth education isn’t even a part of the curriculum- school curriculum or social curriculum- here. You have to seek it out yourself if you’re interested. And I did. Which is what led me to giving birth at home with an educated, qualified midwifery team who is on call for me 24/7. Who educates me on proper nutrition, what to expect from childbirth, what to expect after childbirth, etc. They take care of me and my baby throughout the first six weeks. And the best part is that I get to stay within the comfort of my home, surrounded by my family, and with my tiny newborn never having to be separated from me- and what a gift I consider that to be! My midwife cleans everything up and does my laundry, so you’d never even know a birth occurred. I stay in bed and I do not get out for a good day or two, except for the necessary things, of course. Together, we come up with a postpartum plan and who will do what so that I am not carrying the burden of responsibility for cooking, cleaning, or childcare for a good two weeks- whether that is on my husband, friends and family, or hiring some help. My job is to take care of the newborn, and then we all get a chance to get to know each other as anew as a family+1. And I am excited for the future when my children can be at their siblings births if they want to be! Which most people think is just crazy.

In my eyes, Hospitals and OBs and labor and delivery wards and even nurseries in hospitals are essential! But not for every birth and every mom and every baby. I know the risks, I’ve thought through the worst case scenarios, and the worst case scenario happens at the hospital just as it happens at home. And there are different risks that are at the hospital which aren’t even a part of the equation at home.

The conversation about the nurseries and so called baby-friendly hospitals is really interesting, because I see my home as my resting place. I would have no rest in a hospital, on a hospital bed, being checked on by staff, separated from my baby, for any length of time. You won’t find me in the hospital in the case of a normal, uncomplicated pregnancy. But I will be there in an instant if something in my pregnancy, birth, or post-partum indicates that I need to be. I guess it helps that I have a hospital practically in my backyard. Less than a 5 minute drive and I’m at the emergency entrance.

Anywho, just another perspective.

9 Likes

Things must be so different now! Spent almost 3 days after delivery, wish I could have nursed but no production, after a week I gave up. We were supplementing for my lack anyway. I had to beg to see my son outside of feedings, they just kept whisking him off. They wanted me to stay a 4th day (had a complicated delivery, doc was concerned) but I left, bc gosh darnit, I wanted to spend time with my baby. They wouldn’t let us in the nursery, just a peek through the window. (Another new mother and I were half heartedly conspiring to break in while her hubby distracted the nurse with new dad questions :joy:)

7 Likes

Isn’t it funny how many differing and strong opinions there are on child birth?!

Fun fact. I was born at home. Unintentionally. My mom thought she had indigestion. :joy: hilariously my grandmother, who was a nurse, was at home with my parents when I was born and stayed in her room the whole time. I’m always like “whhhyyyy?!” - my mom always said it was a generational thing. and then she had twins + a section so she was not helpful preparing me for the pain of childbirth.

My grandmother in law teaches midwifery and was a midwife for decades. I knew she had strong beliefs about labor and delivery and newborn care when I was pregnant but she only ever shared knowledge with me and never guilted me in DH and I’s decision to have 4 inductions - each time in a hospital at 39 weeks. I think that’s been such a valuable thing for me to dwell on as I became a mom and I even now as I continue to learn how to treat people with more grace and compassion as I get older.

4 Likes

That’s so key! When I was a new mom I had a very different but no less magical experience meeting my new daughter in a conference7 room half a world away. But I remember the struggles we had in the first few months with her sleeping (can you say trauma?) and all the well-meaning advice I received that made me feel like a crap mom. I know that’s not what people intended, but it did. My “advice” to new moms, is to take everything said to them with a grain of salt and not to let anything make them feel inadequate. Some kids are not good sleepers and some kids are. Some kids are not good eaters and some kids are. Some kids are early potty-trainers and some kids are late. Some kids wean early and some don’t. In the end WE know our kids the best and what’s right for them and for us. I’m happy to share my experiences but try really hard to do so in a YMMV kind of way.

5 Likes

I would’ve helped too! :laughing: man that would piss me off. “Gimme my baby, dammit!”

3 Likes

Well said!

4 Likes

Very much the same. I have a different experience from most. I love to share it because I know there are some, like me at a point, who don’t even know that birthing at home is an option. And I believe all options should be explored, even if you then dismiss them. I toured two hospital L&D units, even after I had decided on a home birth.

But I would never tell someone that home birth is right for them. I can only say that it is right for me.

4 Likes