@Mousematt’s Striking The Hot Iron encore — now featuring final thoughts

Honestly the testing is no big deal. DH has been traveling to the UK, US and Canada throughout the pandemic and it’s been inconvenient and mildly annoying - ridiculous even - but ultimately meh and not worth stressing over. My favourite was actually flying into London. He had to test twice on the same day at the same location a few hours apart to both arrive and depart England but wasn’t allowed to use one test. Even testing with the littles for travel (only twice, but testing required in both directions) wasn’t remarkable. It was just another thing… toothbrush, toothpaste, negative test; check, check & check.

2 Likes

No big deal if you test negative, for sure. It’s not the test itself that bothers me. I have to test regularly to visit my MIL in the care home. I’m worried about catching covid and seeing my holiday go up in smoke.

5 Likes

Ah, oops. I did think you were more concerned about the logistics. That’s a very real concern but surely better to know before you go if that’s the case, right? … says the mum who pulled her kids out of school the week before half-term because she was afraid of having her trip canceled! I’ll be quiet now.

3 Likes

I can understand that! My DS finishes his exams on 26th June, we go on 14th July. I’ve been wondering how to stop him spending that 2.5 weeks out partying with his mates. I don’t think I’m going to be able to.

3 Likes

I wish you so, so much luck with that!! Fortunately mine are young enough that I still have absolute control over their movements. We’re going end of June for the first time since 2019. I will let nothing interfere.

4 Likes

News update

COVID test taken. Negative, though pending official confirmation. So I guess the trip is going ahead.

Have done preliminary packing, but not suitcase packing — will wait until I’ve dropped Calvin off at Sarah’s before I do that. Although he blatantly knows what’s going on already.

Spent yesterday thinking about where I can do my online tutoring from. Have come up with a plan that allows me to get some park action in at park open, before retreating to a hotel to work, and then back to the park in the mid-afternoon.

Am leaving now to drop off Calvin. Then back home to pack. I have a lot of flexibility with when I take the train. No rush: there’s no need to get to the airport hotel early. Flight is not till tomorrow.

23 Likes

Holiday has officially started.

38 Likes

Safe travels @sanstitre_has_left_the_building :bullettrain_front::flight_departure:

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to your trip report! Safe travels!!

2 Likes

Much excellent hat.

6 Likes

excited that you’re going again! safe travels!

2 Likes

I took you more for a quidditch beater rather than a keeper with your bludgeoning snark.
Smooth travel over the pond!

6 Likes

Yayyyyyy!!! Interested in your work plan!

Do I even need to fly 4,500 miles when I can get Eton Mess in Manchester?

19 Likes

Yes. Everything tastes better when you’re in Florida.

That looks really good though.

4 Likes

except the water :face_vomiting:

10 Likes

Touché.

5 Likes

True. The water is nasty.

2 Likes

Safe travels!

1 Like

I love your trip reports, so I will be trying (probably unsuccessfully) to keep up! Have a wonderful time!

3 Likes