Mousematt’s Epic North American Adventure — Now Featuring Final Thoughts

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe look into vrbo.com as well?

2 Likes

No. Not my kind of thing at all.

STOP MAKING SENSIBLE SUGGESTIONS

(See next post.)

You don’t know me very well, do you :rofl:

8 Likes

I still wasn’t happy. That apartment was kinda dark and had no view. But they had one with a partial city view. So I booked that. But I got confused about the price and it was about a third more expensive. Now I’m suddenly spending double what I was going to spend on the very first booking.

Then @dianelynn mentioned Airbnb. Which, to be fair, I had had a quick look at yesterday. But I gave it another look.

And found an insanely cool apartment. Ticks all the boxes of the other one, but with an awesome view and much more stylish. And about US$800 cheaper. I’m basically back to being 50% higher than yesterday’s first booking. But way happier.

The one disadvantage is that I had to pay in full now. And there are very limited cancellation options. So I’m all in. Well, once I pay for my flight, which I have on hold.

D’ya wanna see the apartment?

Er, yes: that’s the CN Tower. Which I can see from my living room. And bedroom.

Booked (and paid for) it

38 Likes

That will allow you to really enjoy your stay. Great choice!

4 Likes

That’s a great space!! All that light! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Did you see the big screen TV?

Do you think it will be a problem when I’m watching the big screen TV?

4 Likes

Of course this does mean that I’m done making changes. Which is good.

16 Likes

In for an Airbnb penny, in for a British Airways pound … I’ve paid for my flights.

I’m committed now!

20 Likes

Oh thank god. I’ve conned you into my clutches.

7 Likes

I’ve been researching things to do in Toronto and here’s fun: the dumb US travel ban even applies at Niagara Falls. I won’t be able to cross the bridge. I hope the view from the Canada side is pretty.

10 Likes

The Canadian side is much better. We loved our trip up there.

15 Likes

The Canadian falls are actually much better.

8 Likes

Depends on which way the windows face I guess? I’m sure it’ll be fine. And it won’t matter at night.

Is that a bedroom or a glass cell?

3 Likes

Those are glass panels and they slide into the walls.

1 Like

Step 9: Book COVID test

You bloody people never have to worry about this sort of thing, but before they’ll even let me on the plane to Canada I have to pass a COVID test, which I have to arrange myself. This has seemed complicated to me because the test has to be taken within 72 hours before your flight (I wasn’t quite sure when the clock stops on that one) and the people providing these tests typically promise you’ll get your results by midnight the day after you take it. So there’s not a huge window. It’s further complicated by the fact that many providers ship the sample to a lab and that can take a day. Specifically a business day. My flight is on a Monday, so the two days before it are not business days.

After a lot of searching I found a provider that does in-person testing and promises the results by 10pm the same day. Needless to say it’s twice as expensive ($230) as the other providers. I’ve booked it for the Saturday. So I should know before I even leave Harrogate that I’m good to go.

Booked and paid for

14 Likes

I can’t even process this.
That you think WDW is worth this much effort hurts my brain.
But - have fun in Niagara Falls. It is one of the prettiest places on the planet.

12 Likes

This was true for Hawaii until August. Then you could either take a test or show proof of vaccination. BUT Hawaii wouldn’t allow just any test, it had to be a certain kind.

I hope your trip is amazing.

5 Likes

Money well spent to not have to worry.

2 Likes

Oooh, a lot has happened since I last checked this website!

re: Niagara Falls, the Canadian side is far superior, and I say this not only because I’m Canadian and therefore required to believe everything is better here but because it’s true. I very much recommend the boat trip (Niagara City Tours, Maid of the Mist is the US side one). The Journey Behind the Falls walk was pretty interesting. We were at Clifton Hill a few weeks ago and honestly, I hated it and would be happy to never go back, it was super tacky, super expensive, and super crowded. You can take the GO train from Union Station, I think, although it possibly only runs on weekends.

I saw somebody recommend a day trip to Ottawa, but that’s roughly a four hour train ride - I think if you wanted to see Ottawa you’d want to make it at least an overnight.

I assume you won’t have access to a car? The Toronto Zoo is great but kind of a hassle to get to on public transportation. The Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario are both very good, though, and convenient. The aquarium seems like it would be within walking distance, based on the view from your apartment. You might also enjoy taking the ferry across to Toronto Island, it’s a lovely day trip. And exploring Kensington Market is a fun way to spend a few hours. Oh, and of course going up the CN Tower! Although TBH it’s a little boring, mainly just an amazing view, but probably necessary just to say you’ve done it.

10 Likes