Mousematt’s Epic North American Adventure — Now Featuring Final Thoughts

Brilliant plan!!!

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the Niagara Falls thing where you could go under the waterfall. I can’t remember if that was Maid fo the Mists or the other one, but there weren’t that many such things.

1 Like

Avoid Clifton Hill!!!

I remember thinking that the journey behind the falls was cool. And of course Maid of the Mist!

1 Like

Every time I think about Niagra Falls, this Woody Woodpecker scene pops into my head…

7 Likes

Feeling better about it this morning, though didn’t get much sleep last night. Have entered everything into my calendar and started planning when I’m going to teach my students. And have started cancelling my other trips and flights.

Maybe sort of think it could really be happening.

11 Likes

What about an ESTA for going to the US?

5 Likes

Done!

9 Likes

How about “I will do everything within my power to make this trip happen”. Period. End of thought. That thought will serve you better. No conditions attached that start with “as long as [something someone else does]”.

9 Likes

At what point are you going to start charging me for this — admittedly very good — therapy?

10 Likes

Step 1 (reprise): Change the hotel in Toronto

Now as you all know, it’s not like me to change my mind. But I was reviewing the details of the hotel I booked in Toronto and I’ve decided I just don’t like it. Not for 15 nights. I want somewhere shinier and more exciting and more comfortable. I know it’s going to cost more, but I’m just worried I’m going to feel stuck all alone in a not very nice hotel room for two weeks. And I don’t think that’s a mental health positive.

So I’m researching once again for somewhere better.

5 Likes

When you call me up and we do this formally. Otherwise you’re stuck with bits and bobs over the internet. :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

With a pool.

6 Likes

There are competing factors at play here.

First, cost. I’m reasonably loose on the budget, but I can’t pay silly money.

Second, suitability for work. I’m technically not wholly on holiday during this portion of the proceedings.

Third, legal requirements. A condition of entry to Canada is that I have to present a quarantine plan when I arrive at the airport. I have to show that, if necessary, I would have somewhere to live where I would not be in contact with other people and where I would be able to be self-sufficient. I’m not entirely sure hotels necessarily satisfy this. Sure, I could quarantine in my room, but right now not all hotels are offering room service. My original choice of hotel did have a fridge and microwave.

Fourth, somewhere I’m going to feel happy and comfortable for two weeks. Oh, and I guess I really need laundry facilities.

Fifth, convenient location: ability to walk to the main attractions

Sixth, yeah a pool or something. Though many hotels have currently closed their fitness facilities. So even if they have a pool it might not be available.

I cancelled my first choice, and then found myself drawn to a Marriott. But then I dug deeper on booking.com and found a block of serviced apartments that get stellar reviews (in quite large numbers). It’s a 750 sq ft apartment, with full kitchen and washing machine, as well as WIFI. No pool. Great location.

There were various photographs of the property on the website. For some reason I was drawn to this one:

The cost was, well, 50% higher than my original choice. But about the same as the Marriott. No money upfront, cancellable two days in advance.

Booked it

20 Likes

Are you going to attend HHNs at Universal?

2 Likes

I love your plan! You could also easily install a pulley rope from your balcony to across the way to have lattes sent up on demand!

8 Likes

I mean… maybe it’s because the SBux is right there?! But that’s just a guess…

7 Likes

I seem to notice a Starbucks down there. Hmmmm… I wonder if that was a deciding factor.

4 Likes

And the need for the pulley system in case he needs to prove his ability to quarantine :wink:

3 Likes

Does Canada have air bnb’s? A house may be cheaper than a hotel and will offer you personal space and quarantine ability.

Although, that apartment is a great location. You could have door dash deliver your multi day Starbucks and leave it at the door if need be. No personal interaction necessary. And if you’re not in isolation, you can hang at the cafe between students and plan your Disney days.

7 Likes

Don’t be an Eeyore. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::laughing:

8 Likes