Mousematt’s Epic North American Adventure — Now Featuring Final Thoughts

This is so exciting! I haven’t been to TO in a few years.

I’d add in a day trip to Ottawa (via train?) along with Niagara Falls.

Do you need to get a covid test before you travel to the US?

3 Likes

Yes

I definitely want to do a side-trip to Niagara Falls

7 Likes

Step 5: Add UOR

Not only was Royal Pacific cheaper than Sapphire Falls for my dates (what?) the AP rate saved more than the cost of an AP. So I’m now an UOR AP holder again. And RP gives me Express Passes. Maybe the Universe does want me to go on this trip.

Two nights. My flight home leaves MCO at 8pm, so I should get some decent park action on departure day.

Booked

16 Likes

Step 0: Book WDW

I’ve already done this. I need to tinker with the dates as I’m now staying seven nights and not six. Allegedly at ASMu, but I’m fairly sure they’re going to move me because it’s not reopening.

Booked

14 Likes

In Ontario, at Shoppers Drug Mart you can get an Antigen Test for $40 CDN that is accepted for flights to US.

8 Likes

:joy::joy:

2 Likes

I am so excited you’re taking this trip!!!

2 Likes

Am I, though? After the repeated disappointments of the last eighteen months, I’m sitting here booking it all but not believing any of it. I’m expecting someone to come along and take it all away from me.

3 Likes

I think getting to adjust to the time zone change before the vacation will be a huge side-benefit. I’ve done a lot of time-zone changes. 5-6 hours west is the absolute worst in my opinion. I remember one time the first day I was home I passed out at 5-something pm. I just barely made it to bed. I woke up about 2 am on my stomach (which I don’t do) with my feet hanging over the side and my shoes still on. It took 3 weeks to fully recover. Two weeks before I stopped waking up in the wee hours. Even 12-ish hours is better. The body just says “wha?” and hits the reset button.

8 Likes

Step 6: Train to Heathrow

Remember when I crazily booked a WDW for January because I heard in December that Trump was going to lift the travel ban? Everything I booked was refundable except the damned train tickets. But they would let me rebook them. Finally I get to use them.

Rebooked

13 Likes

Now I selfishly want you to fly out like… this week so our dates will overlap :joy:

5 Likes

Step 7: Apply for Canadian visa

Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization applied for and approved.

Done

12 Likes

A little word of caution: you will be going through US border services at Toronto Pearson airport before boarding the flight. Last time we did it, it took over an hour, the line was so long. Please allow yourself plenty of time and arrive at least 3 hours before the flight.

I wouldn’t change hotels, though. If you are staying downtown, near Union Station, you can take UP Express and be at the airport in less than an hour.

11 Likes

If you can, fix the dates you want now, bc they may not let you alter them when they move you. When we booked AKL and it didn’t reopen, we were moved to the Contemporary but we couldn’t change the dates or we’d lose the price protection.

6 Likes

Wait, they aren’t reopening ASMu?

Googled and saw they maybe aren’t done with renos or don’t have enough reservations to warrant staff. Good luck Matt, I saw people getting AoA Family Suites and CBR. Nice upgrades

2 Likes

Step 8: Book Toronto airport hotel

Took ages deciding this one. None of the options looked great. Finally picked one that had the best reviews on booking.com and which didn’t require prepayment.

Booked

11 Likes

I think I’ve done everything I need to do at this stage.

There’s a bunch of COVID tests I’m going to have to arrange. And a bunch of stuff I’m going to need to cancel — my original October trip flights, and my Christmas trip to DLP.

I’m feeling slightly weird about it all. Like I’m doing something really wrong and am going to get caught out. And Calvin keeps looking really cute and I keep thinking what a monster I am.

12 Likes

Can you facetime with him on your trip? My mom gets daily calls with her cat when we’re away.

4 Likes

Have you ever been to Niagara Falls before? The falls themselves are amazing. The town is…something else. Every tacky tourist trap you can think of plus a carnival. Great for people watching. :grin:

4 Likes

I have. In 1977.

5 Likes