@Mousematt’s Don’t Catch A Disease trip — Now featuring Final Thoughts

Well, we’ve safely made it across the Atlantic. I always feel safer flying over (or near) land.

18 Likes

This is why I love teaching 13-14 year olds. They still retain some enthusiasm from earlier childhood and yet we have very in depth “adult like” conversations in class-often. Yesterday I had to remind a small group of boys not to walk out of my room with pasta in their hair (doing a STEM project of making towers), and in that same class we had a serious discussion about the events in Ukraine.

8 Likes

Have an amazing trip!!

1 Like

rolling eyes and teen angst? I know adults with those qualities! :wink:

2 Likes

Thankful for your hat - I have terrible facial recognition skillz (worse with masks of course), but we will be in the magic starting Saturday and would love to at least have a little moment of knowing that I crossed your path if I see the hat…

5 Likes

I think I can honestly say I see more adults than teens with this kind of attitude.

2 Likes

Adults are the worst.

3 Likes

I do actually like 8th graders too (13-14 year olds). In fact, I’d say late elementary thru middle school are awesome ages. But the moment they hit high school. Spare me. 1) They think they know everything and 2)they walk around in a state of constant moodiness.

1 Like

8th graders are ok, but only if they are not the oldest in their school. When they are at the top of the food chain like that, they become unbearable.

1 Like

I prefer @gingerSnaps543222 's description :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::rofl:

1 Like

My DD is at the bottom of the food chain and I love her to death but her moods kill me. I open my mouth and say something completely benign and it’s the worst thing ever. And if I push it and say she’s being moody well then it’s all out breakdown so I being the adult I have to walk on egg shells a lot. Less so with the 17yo but he’s also moody. Both of them are fabulous conversationalists when they are in good moods though and I love spending time with them then but it’s like the flip of a coin what mood you’re gonna get.

DD’s convos in the car when she has friends with us in the car literally kill me. They gossip about people’s relationships and why someone is or isn’t good for whomever they’re dating, and I just have to hold in all my laughter because the way they talk about it, like they know these things. They are 14! Ha ha ha.

8 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

I was constantly reminding my kids “you didn’t phrase that properly. would you like to try again?” whenever they were moody with me. It annoyed the crap out of them and was fun for me. win-win.

15 Likes

My son’s friend’s mom we went to DLR with in Oct would say she was a teen translator (like Obama’s anger translator, Key.) So when the teens would say something angst-y she would say, “Let me translate. What they meant was, thanks Mom, you’re the best ever. I really appreciate this wonderful meal you’ve purchased for me and the fun we’re having together.” LOL So even when my kids would say something snarky, she would look at me and say, “that means, I love you mom. You’re awesome!” ha ha

18 Likes

:joy: That’s the best!

1 Like

Same

We’re approaching Boston.

8 Likes

I love how you seem to think that parenthetical statement somehow explains what comes before it.

8 Likes

It might explain a lot.
The high school robotics team the kid is in have a couple cat ear head bands that occasionally appear and these odd plush animals based on a statue in the Netherlands. I think they’ve also hung a skunk in the fabrication shop.

2 Likes

Sad to report 11 days into 14 day trip…we have lost one. Tested positive on rapid this morning :woman_facepalming: (1 day before we were going to take PCR to fly home) Other 3 still negative and enjoying brunch at Ohana. (We took rapids to be sure)

6 Likes