Mount Rushmore of Dining

Completely forgot about the Wave, silly me, but my pick for breakfast. And agree with Citricos (we were chatting with the server about V&A, next thing we know we were getting bread service from there!)

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to go to V & A - have not found a type of food that I wonā€™t try yet (wellā€¦tripe maybe and I donā€™t think theyā€™ll serve that at V & A no matter how fashionable offal gets :smiley:) Cal (DS18) would love it too, but Ben is too young anyway, and I donā€™t know if Iā€™d ever trust him to sit still in a smart restaurant at any age!

I cancelled Cali grill last trip because I decided none of us would enjoy it because weā€™d be stressing about Ben. We tried Brown Derby at lunch and it was a nightmareā€¦sigh. This is why Iā€™m the queen of the character buffet!

3 Likes

I am so happy that someone else feels the way I feel about CG. I keep on thinking I will try it again since obviously I must have missed something, but I will have to visit V&A first, so that may ruin me for everything else.

1 Like

Tangierine Cafe - Always on our list.
Boma - Unique food and locale.
Crystal Palace - TOP notch food on a buffet. Fantastic - unique - character interactions. MUCH better than I expected.
Flame Tree Barbecue - Still our favorite CS.

2 Likes

So wait a secondā€¦Cali Grill isnā€™t the best place in the entire World? :open_mouth: Iā€™m shocked, SHOCKED I say.

I guess this is why Iā€™ve been so hesitant to try it. Iā€™m always worried that Iā€™ll automatically be disappointed if someplace doesnā€™t live up to the hype Iā€™ve built up in my head.

Our next trip is to celebrate our 15th anniversary and Iā€™ve been so tempted to try V&A. Iā€™m on the fence.

3 Likes

Do it.

California Grill is a good restaurant, but the highlight is the fireworks. Other signature restaurants have just as delicious food, so itā€™s not like it would blow your mind compared with say Jiko or Citricos. Now, V&A will do that.

4 Likes

I almost added V&A for my upcoming trip but I have neā€™er tried Raglan Road and I know it is crazy but I miss DTD so I did not make the change. Plus with TiW, three signature meals and a couple of dining plans I just could not justify it. I guess something to look forward to.

2 Likes

I also think HDDR is getting our vote for our oct trip! I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard one liner say anything negative about it!!

1 Like

This sounds way more show-offy than I intend, but Iā€™ve been going to California Grill since it opened in 1995. It was kind of a supernova back then, and is pretty much responsible for all the signature restaurants that followed. Most of which have caught up or passed it, food and wine-wise.

Being a DVC owner, I go to Top of the World, which is a lot lower-investment way to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks.

The menu does seem to have recovered from a long skid, but the one time I went there post ā€œre-imagining,ā€ I found the service indifferent and scattered. The wine list isnā€™t run of the mill, but the markup is hysterical, even by Disney standards. I canā€™t plan my trips six months out, and getting a table on the short notice I can give is impossible.

1 Like

I canā€™t say enough how you shouldnā€™t be intimidated. The servers are the best of the best, and have no desire to embarrass you or show off. The big fellow at the entrance is the maitre 'd, not a bouncer, even if he is built like an offensive lineman, and would probably rather jump off the mezzanine than see his guests have a bad evening.

Yeah, itā€™s hard not to gush, but Iā€™ve gone with friends who range from having grown up hunting and eating squirrel to ones who go to Michelin-star places weekly, and everyone comes away raving.

EDIT: price-wise, itā€™s not small change, but given the quality and presentation, itā€™s kind of a bargain compared to tasting menus in New York or Las Vegas.

2 Likes

@BGK, the dilemma for me is whether my wife would appreciate the $$ spent on V&A or would she rather me put it toward something else. From absolutely everything Iā€™ve heard and read, the experience is incredible, the staff is fantastic and it really is a great meal. For that, Iā€™d be willing to pay the $600-ish dollars. Iā€™m just trying to gauge if DW would be ā€œWOW, this is incredibleā€ or ā€œWOW, $600?!?!ā€ :smirk:

Now that Iā€™m a DVC owner, I donā€™t see many meals at California Grill in my future. Dinner at Citricos and fireworks from BLT? Yes, please. I will say, that I do like getting dessert and a drink from the California Grill as a much cheaper option and recommend it to anyone who doesnā€™t want to pay for a full meal there.

1 Like

eating in the main room without the wine pairing and it wonā€™t cost that much. ā€¦not to say is cheap, but if given the choice of a week in a deluxe or a split stay between ASSp and a few nights in a deluxe if it meant the savings went to V&A, Iā€™d take option two in a heart beat.

1 Like

Actually, since it is our anniversary, Iā€™ve been setting aside some extra money here and there. Since the trip isnā€™t until October, the cost isnā€™t really an issue. Itā€™s more of a mindset. But the more I look at itā€¦

If I were going to go big, what do you recommend? (I guess I should have started a new thread because this isnā€™t on topic). Main dining room or Chefā€™s Table?

The Chefā€™s Table is the biggest of the big. VERY difficult to get ADR (20 seconds past midnight and the only availability for my entire trip was at 180+7). Private table just off the kitchen, 10 courses (plus chocolate board), 5 1/2 hour dining experience. Dinner for 2 with one wine pairing and 2 wagu beef add-ons, tax and tip came out to approx $900. There were 6 of us at the table when I ate there and it was a LOT of fun, but if itā€™s just the 2 of you, you might want to consider the Queen Victoria Room; same menu as the Chefā€™s Table, but in an intimate formal dining room setting.

Unless you are SURE that DW would love the ex[erience, I recommend going to the regular dining room for your first visit. It will still likely be the best meal that you have ever had (for sure at WDW) and it will give you a chance to guage whether or not you want to go for the ā€œfull dealā€ at the CT.

2 Likes

Thanks, bswan. That makes sense.

My disclaimer: I have not tried any of the signature dining options due to the fact that my I cannot justify the cost for the kids who would not appreciate themā€¦ if they could get PB&J or pizza at every meal, they would.

So here is my list (from a vegetarian with picky kids point of view):

1. Sanaa - beautiful environment with amazing views and the best food Iā€™ve had at Disney. Bread service is delicious! (And the kids can still order their pizza there.)

2. 'Ohana - love the atmosphere, entertainment, and views of the castle at night, and the vegetarian option is so yummy, the kids do not even complain about the lack of pizza. Oh, and the Lapu Lapus!

3. Tusker House breakfast - pre RD, love the walk through the quiet park (like @NeedaTurkeyLeg said!), and the food is different and yummy - with some typical breakfast options to please the kids. It gets my vote for best character meal in WDW.

4. Sunshine Seasons - great counter service options for vegetarians - itā€™s the only place weā€™ve found at WDW that serves a chicken meat alternative, which is a nice break from the same old veggie burgers, grilled cheese, and cheese pizza options at other CS places.

4 Likes

Donā€™t know if I caught 'Ohana on a bad night or what but we were all a bit disappointed. Of course it could be that we had been running all day, we were close to the end of the trip and we were dragging. Fatigue kills a lot of enthusiasm.

1 Like

Fellow vegetarian here! Def. agree on Sunshine Seasons - very veggie-friendly.

1 Like

What bswan said!