Mount Rushmore of Dining

@megstr29 I have not but am sure there are plenty who have. I’ve been going over menus like crazy because, hey, I’m 256 days out. I need to know where to eat! I’d like to try both but we usually limit it to one fine dining per visit. For me, the CG menu is more appealing than AP but I’ve heard very good things about AP.

Be Our Guest - combination of very good food, excellent desserts, and extraordinary theming makes this tough to top

Katsura Grill - excellent food served in a (weather-permitting) tranquil and attractive setting

Le Cellier - outstanding steak, a few good beers, cheese soup, and pretzel bread. Popularity seems to have waned a little in recent years, but the food hasn’t

France Wine Kiosk - Grand Marnier Orange Slush. That is all.

4 Likes

[quote=“Victoria_wss83, post:10, topic:9466”]
Tutto Gusto is on my list for this upcoming trip and I haven’t dined in Italy before[/quote]

I’ve become a big fan of this place after walking in one night just before a rain storm hit. Lots of tasty small plates and a fun place to try different drinks. I’m not much of a wine drinker, but have enjoyed the beer sampler a couple times + the wine drinkers I’ve traveled with haven’t complained.

Agree with BOG. The food was very good, not great but the theming…in all honesty, if I get good food, I’m a happy camper because it good food at Disney. If the food climbs above the good scale, then I’m in a very happy place.

[quote=“megstr29, post:11, topic:9466”]
Sunshine Seasons[/quote]

This almost made my list. It’s a Disney food court at it’s finest, which makes it worthy of some recognition. Plenty of choices for everyone and (from what I’ve seen) all high quality,. Glad someone else mentioned it.

1 Like

Yeah, I though long and hard about Sunshine Seasons for my list because the selection is incredible. Loved it and the food was pretty good.

I also thought about Teppan Edo because while I realize Teppanyaki restaurants are all around, until recently there wasn’t one near me so it was a treat. A year plus later and when I sat down to do a preliminary “where do we want to eat” list, my son left his PlayStation long enough to come in and ask for “that Japanese restaurant.” Sold!

AP is excellent, and WL is a very pretty place to check out. But CG would easily win that call for me. If you’ve been to CG grill before and want to check out someplace new, you will have great meal at AP.

1 Like

@megstr29 It’s because of enthusiastic reviews like yours that we are trying Hoop De Doo for the first time. We’ve been to Trail’s End and really liked the food and have never heard a single negative about HDDR so…here we go!

1 Like

@bswan26 We haven’t tried any Signatures beyond LeCellier, so either one would be a new experience. From your review, I think it’ll be more than worth the boat ride over to CG! Thanks!

1 Like

It’s so fun! We sat in Cat 2 (balcony), and the blonde performer (I’m sure someone can chime in with her name :slight_smile: ) sang ‘Let Me Call You Sweetheart’ to my DS1… we got it on video! I think we’ll try Cat 1 next time, but still loved our balcony seats. They really try to make a connection with every single table, and do a fabulous job!

2 Likes

V&A, Liberty tree lunch, sunshine seasons, Jiko

2 Likes

“This,” as the kids say.

For the wineaux, the selection of Italian wines is impressive and varied, and the markup especially at the lower end isn’t the usual Disney neck-punch.

Pro tips:

Pick the small plates individually from the case, not the menu assortments. The selection is better and it ends up being cheaper.

Don’t look at the grappa page. One of the friendly and good-looking servers will then talk you into having a grappa, which seems like a terribly civilized idea after a couple of bottles of nero d’Avola. Then you drink it, and remember it’s basically kerosene.

3 Likes

Victoria and Albert’s - a singular experience, in a class by itself. Also about the least pretentious and most welcoming fine dining experience you can have.

Flying Fish Cafe - consistently outstanding seafood. I get to cheat, because as a “friend of the house” there are sometimes magical plates put in front of me.

Citricos - former Flying Fish manager Keith Gimbel brought this place back from a long tired period. Some of the dishes equal those of V&A. Quietly excellent service. Doesn’t get the crush that other marquee places, like the greatly overrated California Grill, get.

The Wave - I’ll never pass on the chance to have breakfast there. Their committment to Florida producers means there are always unique things on the menu. The farm-to-table dinners they have have been hidden gems.

4 Likes

We have Flying Fish on our March trip and excited!

1 Like

I have eaten at both and I prefer Artist Point. Visualy, I think AP is a much nicer restaurant. I found the service better as well. Ok, so was the food, for me. Yes, Artist Point for me.

3 Likes

My list may change after April since I have Flying Fish, Yachtsman, and Raglan Road booked but I also have my number one booked!

1. Jiko. Jiko, my dreams are filled with Jiko
  2. Hollywood Brown Derby, I do not know why. I loved that restaurant and the food.
  3. Kona Cafe for breakfast
  4. Caption Cook’s ( just for the pork narches)
2 Likes

I so want to try Jiko. The menu looks great.

I’m with you on Brown Derby. Love it.

Really? I’m super surprised to see this. I envisioned being very hoity with a large dollop of toity. Then again I would actually have to purchase a jacket to wear just to dine there so our definitions of pretentious may vary wildly.

Boo I say unto thee sir kitty, boooooo. :wink:

1 Like

They’ll lend you a jacket, if needed. You won’t be stylish.

I think people fear the formal service. I’ve been there enough times that I’ve had every server team. They’re amazing professionals, and take their lead from the guests. If it’s a date night, they can be seen and not heard. If one’s party is more freewheeling, as mine tend to be, then…well, you might be offered your courses in the manner of John Cleese serving Mr. Creosote.

2 Likes

It would be fun to go with you, however, I fear my undeveloped palette aka pickiness, would result in a wasted experience on me.

1 Like