Morally questionable FPP question

Did you miss the wink?

No, but out of an abundance of caution, I wanted to be clear in case anyone else thought I was being rude!

Not everyone gets my awesome sense of humour.

4 Likes

Mama said that stupid is as stupid does. That has never been more apparent then now. Matt just book a campsite at FW its even cheaper, I mean if you want to pay for FPP and be moral about it.

Not the campsites! People get very upset when campsites are booked and not used.

A few follow-up points one day later.

First, the cancellation terms for UK bookings are very different ā€” and much less generous ā€” than the US terms.

(This table doesnā€™t actually make sense. The room was Ā£123. If I cancel more than 56 days out I pay Ā£50. But if I cancel 56-29 days out I pay 30% of Ā£123, which is only Ā£36.90.)

Second, Iā€™ve listened to a few episodes of the BSOM podcast and they advocate actions that are far more clearly morally objectionable. Examples include listing a third adult as a child in a room in order to avoid paying extra, how to get that adult into Stormalong Bay without paying, and getting extra dining package entry tickets to Fantasmic for people in your party who havenā€™t paid for the dining package.

And finally, Iā€™m just not getting the idea that booking a room in order to get a jump on FPPs and then cancelling or not using the room is in any sense wrong. It breaks no rules. Youā€™re paying money. (You certainly are under the UK terms of booking.) And Iā€™m really not seeing this mythical family whose dreams are shattered because you booked a room for one night at a hotel that you didnā€™t use. Especially not at a hotel with 1,604 rooms.

Yeah, maybe thatā€™s different. The number of campsites is vastly lower and there are fewer alternative options.

I think if you object to people booking throwaway rooms youā€™re like those people who take offence on other peopleā€™s behalves.

Like I said, I asked the question partly out of interest in what peopleā€™s views were ā€” and why they held them ā€” and partly because I like the people who post here and Iā€™d be sad if they thought I was a schmuck. But maybe I have to live with the fact that they do.

But my conscience is clear. Itā€™s my room. I booked it. I paid for it. Iā€™ll use it how I like. Try booking one of the 30,842 alternative rooms on-property for that night. Or book earlier next time.

Oh, while Iā€™m on a roll of self-righteous indignationā€” some people wouldnā€™t spend money to get FPPs. Thatā€™s fine. We all have our money, we make our choices how we spend it. To me it makes sense to optimise my time at WDW. Itā€™s a long trip to get there. And itā€™s a very expensive one. Another hundred bucks to cut down on waiting in line is worth it to me. You may as well argue that people shouldnā€™t dine at table-service restaurants, because counter-service is cheaper and itā€™s all just food.

Incidentally, itā€™s not my intention in this post to have a go at anyone. Whatā€™s interesting about all this is that there are differing views ā€” everyoneā€™s entitled to their views and I donā€™t think you can say that anyone is ā€œwrongā€.

4 Likes

BSOM are known for highly questionable suggestions. Iā€™d be shocked if any liners would book an adult as a child for instance. Booking a throwaway room is nowhere near that bad. And if you cancel inside 30 days, Iā€™d bet someone else will snap that room up. Would I do it? No. Do I care if you do it? Also no.

5 Likes

Agreed. Booking an adult as a child explicitly breaks a rule. And WDW loses revenue. Sneaking them into the pool clearly screws over other guests who (a) have paid and (b) have to suffer a more crowded pool area.

My plan is to cancel the room at 56 days. Disney will get Ā£36.90. Someone will be delighted to see a room vacancy where there wasnā€™t one before.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t agree more!!

2 Likes

Now that I think about it ā€” !! ā€” what about people who book an FPP for FOP and then keep looking for a second one, find one, and book that, too. All legitimately within their FPP windows. No rules broken at all.

Isnā€™t that morally wrong? FPPs are limited, and if you donā€™t get one for FOP, youā€™re looking at a very long line. Isnā€™t it greedy to use an FPP twice? Arenā€™t you denying someone else the chance of enjoying the ride without having to queue for two hours or get up at five in the morning?

I hate to bring Christian morality into it, but Iā€™m fairly sure the Bible counsels against judging others. Precisely because youā€™d better be sure you live a flawless life yourself. What size car do you have? How often do you use it? Why didnā€™t you buy a smaller car? Why didnā€™t you walk instead of drive for that last short trip you took? Etc, etc, etc.

OK. Iā€™ll shut up now. I think I must have slept badly.

:smile:

1 Like

I think that last analogy (the FOP one) is grasping at straws!

Oh dear, The Trick That Must Not Be Named always generates an interesting discussion.

2 Likes

Ok, Iā€™ll weight in with other morally questionable activitiesā€¦

1. Booking more than 1 ADR for a day so that you can decide ā€œlaterā€ which ADR you want, and then cancelling one of the ADRs;
  2. In the case of example 1, above, perhaps ā€˜reschedulingā€™ an ADR for a later date, and then cancelling it in order to avoid the $$ penalty;
  3. Booking a FPP for a ride you donā€™t intend to use in order to burn the FPP to get to the 4th FPP window faster;
  4. Booking a FPP for a ride you donā€™t intend to use, for the sake of modifying that FPP into a different ride you would rather have;
  5. Using any number of the strategies already discussed - thoroughly I might add - on other threads to use RS in order to allow more people to experience an attraction than originally had a FPP for that attraction.

I could go on, but I could effectively argue that each of the above strategies would deny another Disney guest the opportunity to experience a restaurant or attraction so that the person using that strategy can gain some advantage.

Also, some advantages could be had - a future Disney guest gets that hard to find ADR at the last minute, standby guests ride an attraction with less waiting because the number of FPP riders is lowerā€¦ etc, etc,

Point is, morally repugnant behavior is difficult to asses and most of us only see things through the lens of our own experiences, objectives, prejudices, opinions, etcā€¦

So, let thee who has never held 2 ADRs for the same day, never booked a Tommorowland Speedway FPP hoping to modify it into a Peter Pan FPP cast the first stone, so to speak. (ed. note - avoid actually casting stones, as they can hurt people and break things).

10 Likes

Iā€™ve never done any of those things.

Iā€™ll just be over here polishing my halo :innocent:

5 Likes

Perhaps not, but the point is youā€™ve almost certainly done something that others might consider morally objectionable. Do you eat meat? Drive a large car? Vote for Party X in elections? (Or not vote at all?)

Let he who is without sin and all that.

I honestly donā€™t think that it is. I think itā€™s exactly the same. Maybe you think itā€™s different because youā€™ve had two FPPs for FOP and donā€™t want to think of yourself as a bad person.

I think everyone on this forum is wonderful all the time. But you get yourself in a right mess if you start looking at ethical/moral dilemmas.

Should a British person come to Disney World at all? It involves a long flight, which is bad for the environment. Should anyone go to Disney World? Disney is a huge corporation that (some say) underpays its employees. Etc, etc.

Ooh! Ooh!

The Touring Plan ADR finder is morally questionable. It gives a significant advantage to people who use it, over people who donā€™t know about it.

Even the Room Request Fax is slightly dodgy.

Weā€™re surely talking about WDW! So the size of my car is irrelevant. Iā€™m certainly not perfect, nobody is. But in terms of WDW I would say Iā€™ve never done anything even slightly questionable. Not even a BOG breakfast to get an early 7DMT ride in.

I donā€™t view having FPs that you intend to use as morally questionable. If I pay for my ticket, Iā€™m entitled to go to AK every day of my trip and get a FP for FOP for every one of those days if I so desire. Thereā€™s no hint of gaming the system or bending a rule in that. For the record, Iā€™ve never been on FOP or held a FP for it - I havenā€™t been since Pandora opened. Iā€™ve never booked a FP I didnā€™t intend to use, and if I have ended up not using one Iā€™ve always cancelled it ahead of the window.

1 Like

I think FP and ADRā€™s are helpful but not indispensable tools. I rode FOP without a FP my last trip based on info from Liner community. Iā€™ll RD 7DMT on a early entry this trip. Some of my best meal experiences were places that you could get ADR 7 days prior, e.g. GF cafe, The Wave, Tutto Italia. Iā€™m trying Oliviaā€™s this trip. I used the Res finder to get Ohana and CRT 30 days in advance. Planning is great, but sometimes you can overthink and overplan.

3 Likes

All this is getting waaaaay heavier and less entertaining than the Profgate threads by the hour.

Matt, isnā€™t it time to change your plans again? :grinning:

2 Likes

I donā€™t see them as the same. Because ordering the most expensive dishes on the menu is not taking away a lodging spot from a person/couple/family/group that legitimately wants to stay there (be it campsite or resort room).

Ordering food affects no one but yourself. Booking a room you have no intention of staying in potentially affects someoneā€™s entire vacation.

1 Like

Nope. When my plans change I immediately let go of the old ADR - to be honest itā€™s usually changing within the same period so the system cancels the unneeded one.

If I decide I donā€™t want to ride something I have a FP+ for, I immediately change it to something available I do wantā€¦or if I decide Iā€™m done or thereā€™s nothing offered I want, Iā€™ll just cancel it.